Received 15 September 1996. Accepted 15 February 1997.
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Journal of Phycology
Volume 33, Issue 3, pages 542–553, June 1997
How to Cite
Serôdio, J., Marques da Silva, J. and Catarino, F. (1997), NONDESTRUCTIVE TRACING OF MIGRATORY RHYTHMS OF INTERTIDAL BENTHIC MICROALGAE USING IN VIVO CHLOROPHYLL A FLUORESCENCE. Journal of Phycology, 33: 542–553. doi: 10.1111/j.0022-3646.1997.00542.x
Abbreviations: a*(z), Optical absorption cross section normalized to Chl a of cells at depth z (m2· g Chl a−1); c(z). sediment Chl a content at depth z (g Chl a· m−3); Chl, chlorophyll; d, distance between the PAM fiberoptics and the sample surface (mm); E0 (d, z), scalar exciting spectral irradiance at depth z, at a distance d + z from the fiberoptics (W · m−2· nm−1); Ed(d, z), Ed, downwelling exciting spectral irradbance at depth z, at a distance d + z from the fiberoptics and at the fiberoptics level (W·m−2· nm−1); F(d), depth-integrated fluorescence intensity emitted by the ensemble of cells present in the sediment, which is detected by the fiberoptics at a distance d from the sediment surface (mV); F(d, z), fluorescence intensity emitted by cells present in a unit volume at depth z, which is detected at the fiberoptics level at a distance d + z from the sediment surface (mV); Fl (d, z), fluorescent radiance flux emitted by the cells present in a unit volume of sediment at depth z, at a distance d + z from the fiberoptics (W·m−3· nm−l); Fo, Fv, FM, dark-level (minimum), variable, and maximum values attainable by Chl a fluorescence intensity, here considered to be measured 1 mm from the sample surface (mV); Fu,(d, z), upwelling fluorescent spectral irradiance emitted at depth z, at a distance d + z from the fiberoptics (W·m−2·nm−1); φF(z), quantum yield of Chl a fluorescence at depth z (quanta emittedquanta absorbed−1); φFo, φFM, dark-level and maximum quantum yield of Chl a fluorescence (quanta emittedquanta absorbed−1); G, factor representing the conversion between detected fluorescent irradiance and fluorometer output (mV·W−1·m2·nm); kair, ksed, attenuation coefticients of exciting light and emitted fluorescence in the air and in the sediment (mm−1); LHCII, light-harvesting complex of phutosystem II; μ(z), average cosine (mean cosine of the average path direction of incident photons); nPSII(z), PSII concentration at depth z (PSII · m−3); PSII, photosystem II; Q(z), fractional reduction of emitted fluorescence due to intracellular reabsorption at depth z, rex, rem, fractional reflexion losses of exciting light and emitted fluorescence at the sediment-air (or sediment-water) interface; R(z), irradiance reflectance (ratio of upward to downward irradiance) at depth z; σPSII (z), functional absorption cross section of energy-absorbing pigments in LHCII at depth z (m2ΨII−1); z, depth below sediment surface (mm).
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!