Performance-Based Regulation and Regulatory Regimes: The Saga of Leaky Buildings
Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2004
Law & Policy
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 381–401, October 2003
How to Cite
May, P. J. (2003), Performance-Based Regulation and Regulatory Regimes: The Saga of Leaky Buildings. Law & Policy, 25: 381–401. doi: 10.1111/j.0265-8240.2003.00155.x
- Issue online: 23 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2004
- 1982) Going by the Book: The Problem of Regulatory Unreasonableness. Philadelphia: Temple Univ. Press. , and (
- 2001) Rethinking Democratic Accountability. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press. (
- 2001) “Qualitative versus Quantitative Aspects of Performance-Based Regulations.” In CIB World Building Congress 2001: Performance in Product and Practice, Wellington, New Zealand 2 – 6th April 2001. Rotterdam: International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction. , , , and (
- 2003) “Management-Based Regulation: Prescribing Private Management to Achieve Public Goals,” Law & Society Review 37: 691–730. , and (
- 2002) Performance-Based Regulation: Prospects and Limitations in Health, Safety, and Environmental Protection. Regulatory Policy Program Report RPP-03. Cambridge, Mass.: Regulatory Policy Program, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. , , and (
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (1998) Promoting the Adoption and Enforcement of Seismic Building Codes: A Guidebook for State Earthquake and Mitigation Managers. FEMA 313. Washington, D.C.: FEMA.
- 2000) “Developments in Performance-Based Building Codes and Standards,” Forest Products Journal 50(7/8):12–21. (
- 1999) Regulating Workplace Safety, Systems and Sanctions. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press. , and (
- 2001) “The First Federal Drinking Water Quality Standards and Their Evolution, A History from 1914 to 1974.” In Improving Regulation: Cases in Environment, Health, and Safety, edited by P. S.Fischbeck & R. S.Farrow. Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future. , and (
- 2001) The Government of Risk, Understanding Risk Regulation Regimes. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press. , , and (
- 1994) The Death of Common Sense, How Law is Suffocating America. New York: Random House. (
- Hunn Report. See New Zealand. Building Industry Authority (2002).
- International Code Council, Inc. (2001) ICC Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities. Whittier, Calif.: International Conference of Building Officials.
- International Conference of Building Officials (1997) Uniform Building Code. Whittier, Calif.: International Conference of Building Officials.
- 1994) “Revising the Ozone Standard.” In The Environmental Protection Agency, Asking the Wrong Questions for Nixon to Clinton, edited by M. K.Landy, M. J.Roberts & S. R.Thomas. Exp. ed. New York: Oxford Univ. Press. , , With (
- 2002) “Social Regulation.” In Tools of Government: A Guide to the New Governance, edited by L. M.Salamon. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press. (
- 1986) Environmental Management and Governance, Intergovernmental Approaches to Hazards and Sustainability. London: Routledge. , , , , , , and (
- 2003) “At the Regulatory Frontlines: Inspectors’ Enforcement Styles and Regulatory Compliance,” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 13(2):117–39. , and (
- National Performance Review (1995) Reinventing Environmental Regulation. [Washington, D.C.]: National Performance Review. Available at http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/npr/library/rsreport/251a.html (accessed 16 April 2003).
- New Zealand. Building Industry Authority (BIA) (2002) Report of the Overview Group on the Weathertightness of Buildings to the Building Industry Authority. Chaired by Don Hunn. Wellington: BIA. Available at http://www.bia.govt.nz/publicat/pdf/bia-report-17-9-02.pdf and http://www.bia.govt.nz/publicat/pdf/sec_3_report.pdf (accessed 2 April 2003).
- New Zealand. Cabinet Policy Committee (2003) Building Act Review Overview. 26 May. Wellington: Office of Minister of Commerce. Available at http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/bus_pol/building/review/decisions/cabinet/overview/index.html (accessed 26 May 2003).
- New Zealand. House of Representatives. Government Administration Select Committee (2003) Inquiry into the Weathertightness of Buildings in New Zealand. Chaired by Dianne Yates. Wellington: [Government Printer].
- New Zealand. Ministry for Economic Development (2003) Better Regulation of the Building Industry in New Zealand: Discussing the Options. Wellington: Ministry of Economic Development.
- 2001) “Performance with Uncertainty, A Process for Implementing Performance-Based Fire Regulations.” In Improving Regulation: Cases in Environment, Health, and Safety, edited by P. S.Fischbeck & R. S.Farrow. Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future. , and (
- 1977) “Regulatory Barriers to the Diffusion of Innovation: Some Evidence from Building Codes,” Bell Journal of Economics 8(Autumn):361–77. , and (
- 1995) “Toward a New Conception of the Environment-Competitiveness Relationship,” Journal of Economic Perspectives 9(Fall):97–118. , and (
- 2002) “Protecting the Environment: Voluntary Regulations in Environmental Governance,” Policy Currents 11(4):9–14. , and (
- 1999) Science at the EPA, Information in the Regulatory Process. Washington, D.C.: Resources for the Future. (
- Project on Alternative Regulatory Approaches (1981) Performance Standards: A Practical Guide to the Use of Performance Standards as a Regulatory Alternative. Washington, D.C.: Project on Alternative Regulatory Approaches.
- 1987) Breaking the Special Interests, Trucking Deregulation and the Politics of Policy Reform. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Press. (
- 2000) The Regulatory Craft: Controlling Risks, Solving Problems, and Managing Compliance. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press. (
- 2001) “Myths of the Reinvented State,” Capital University Law Review 29: 223–43. (
- 1990) Why People Obey the Law. New Haven, Conn.: Yale Univ. Press. (
- 1994) “Governing Amid Diversity: The Effect of Fair Decisionmaking Procedures on the Legitimacy of Government,” Law & Society Review 28: 809–31. (
- U.S. Congress. House. Committee on Small Business (2000) Regulatory Reform Initiatives and Their Impact on Small Business: Hearing before the Committee on Small Business. 106th Cong., 2d Sess.
- U.S. Congress. Office of Technology Assessment (1995) Environmental Policy Tools: A User's Guide. Ota-evn-634. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 1980) “The Politics of Regulation.” In The Politics of Regulation, edited by J. Q.Wilson. New York: Basic Books. (
- 2001) “Motivation for Compliance with Environmental Regulations,” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 20(Fall):675–98. , and (
- Yates Report. See New Zealand. House of Representatives. Government Administration Select Committee (2003).