History, Human Rights, and Globalization
Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2004
Journal of Religious Ethics
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 39–70, March 2004
How to Cite
Twiss, S. B. (2004), History, Human Rights, and Globalization. Journal of Religious Ethics, 32: 39–70. doi: 10.1111/j.0384-9694.2004.00154.x
- Issue online: 28 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 28 JAN 2004
- 2000 A Q&A on the WTO, IMF, World Bank, and Activism. Z Magazine 13/1: 24–29. et al.
- An-Na'im, Abdullahi Ahmed, ed. 1992 Human Rights in Cross-Cultural Perspectives: A Quest for Consensus. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1996 Indigenous Peoples and the UN Commission on Human Rights: A Case of the Immovable Object and the Irresistible Force. Human Rights Quarterly 18: 738–813.
- 2000 Reflections of a Global Women's Activist. Human Rights Dialogue 2/3: 12–13.
- 1992 Considering Gender: Are Human Rights for Women, Too? An Australian Case.”In An-Na'im, Human Rights in Cross-Cultural Perspectives, pp. 339–362.
- 2000 On Giving the Devil the Benefit of Law in Kosovo.”In Buckley, Kosovo, pp. 409–418.
- Brecher, Jeremy, JohnBrown Childs, and JillCutler, eds. 1993 Global Visions: Beyond the New World Order. Boston : South End Press.
- 2000 Globalization from Below: The Power of Solidarity. Cambridge, Mass .: South End Press. , , and
- Brownlie, Ian, and Guy S.Goodwin-Gill, eds. 2001 Basic Documents on Human Rights, Fourth Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Buckley, William Joseph, ed. 2002 Kosovo: Contending Voices on Balkan Interventions. Grand Rapids , Mich .: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.
- Center for Economic and Social Rights 1999 Rights Violations in the Ecuadorian Amazon: The Human Consequences of Oil Development.”In Mann et al., Health and Human Rights, pp. 130–144.
- 1996 Globalization and Other Stories: The Search for a New Paradigm for International Relations. International Journal LI: 617–637.
- 2000 The Promise of Corporate Codes of Conduct. Human Rights Dialogue 2/4 (Fall):16–17.
- 1948 The Rights of Man in Primitive Society.”In UNESCO , Human Rights, pp. 235–252.
- Ewen, Alexander, ed. 1993 Voice of Indigenous Peoples: Native People Address the United Nations. Santa Fe , NM : Clear Light Publishers.
- 1987 The Global Promise of Social Movements: Explorations at the Edge of Time. Alternatives XII/2: 173–196.
- 1992 Theoretical Foundations of Human Rights.”Reprinted in RichardClaude and BurnsWeston, eds., Human Rights in the World Community: Issues and Action, Second Edition, pp. 31–41. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 1993 The Making of Global Citizenship.”In Brecher, Childs, and Cutler, Global Visions, pp. 39–49.
- 1996 Inside the Iron Cage: Notes on Rationality and Global Capital Markets. Soundings 79.3–4: 385–397. and
- 1997 Unlocking the Iron Cage: The Hidden Risks of Formal Rationality. Soundings 80.2–3: 201–240.
- Gearon, Liam, ed. 2001 Human Rights and Religion: A Reader. Brighton , UK : Sussex Academic Press.
- 2002 A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. New York : Random House.
- 2000 Religions and the Ethics of International Business.”In Sumner B.Twiss and BruceGrelle, eds., Explorations in Global Ethics: Comparative Religious Ethics and Interreligious Dialogue, pp. 237–251. Boulder , Colo .: Westview Press.
- 2001 Introduction.”In Ignatieff, Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry, pp. vii–xxviii.
- 2002 Making War Criminal. Criminology 40/2: 231–264. , and
- Held, David, and AnthonyMcGrew, eds. 2000 The Global Transformations Reader. Cambridge , UK : Polity Press.
- 2000 Rethinking Globalization.”In Held and McGrew, The Global Transformations Reader, pp. 54–60. , , , and
- 1990 The Age of Rights. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 2001 Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry. Edited and introduced by AmyGutman. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- 1990 Quasi-States: Sovereignty, International Relations, and the Third World. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press
- Jackson, Robert, ed. 1999 Sovereignty at the Millennium. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
- 1999 Morality and Contemporary Warfare. New Haven : Yale University Press.
- 1998 Human Rights, Group Rights, and Peoples' Rights. Human Rights Quarterly 21: 80–107.
- 2002 Justice, Political Authority, and Armed Conflict: Challenges to Sovereignty and the Just Conduct of War.”In John D.Carlson and Erik C.Owens, eds., The Sacred and the Sovereign: Religion and International Politics, pp. 113–136. Washington : Georgetown University Press.
- Kelsay, John, and Sumner B.Twiss, eds. 1994 Religion and Human Rights. New York : Project on Religion and Human Rights.
- 1999 Human Rights NGOs: The Power of Persuasion. Ethics & International Affairs 13: 151–174.
- 2000 Problematic Sovereignty: Contested Rules and Political Possibilities. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1997 The Evolution of International Human Rights: Visions Seen. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2001 Rethinking Humanitarian Intervention. University Park , Pa .: Pennsylvania State University Press.
- 1991 Prospects for Research on the Cultural Legitimacy of Human Rights: The Cases of Liberalism and Marxism.”In An-Na'im, Human Rights in Cross-Cultural Perspectives, pp. 387–426.
- Mann, Jonathan M., SofiaGruskin, Michael A.Grodin, and George J.Annas, eds. 1999 Health and Human Rights: A Reader. New York : Routledge.
- 1999 Health and Human Rights.”In Mann et al., Health and Human Rights, pp. 7–20. et al.
- 1948 Introduction.”In UNESCO, Human Rights, pp. i–ix.
- 1999 Globalization and Human Rights. Human Rights Quarterly 21: 735–766. , with
- 1992 Should Communities Have Rights? Reflections on Liberal Individualism.”In An-Na'im, Human Rights in Cross-Cultural Perespectives, pp. 133–161.
- 2000 Legitimation, Justification, and the Politics of Rescue.”In Buckley, Kosovo, pp. 384–398.
- 1998 The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: Origins, Drafting, and Intent. Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2001 The Moral Basis of Humanitarian Intervention. Ethics & International Affairs 16/1: 57–70.
- 1999 Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach, Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press.
- 1997a Capabilities and Human Rights. Fordham Law Review 66: 273–300.
- 1997b Religion and Women's Human Rights.”In PaulWeithman, ed., Religion and Contemporary Liberalism, pp. 93–137. Notre Dame : University of Notre Dame Press.
- 1999 Liberal Theory and Minority Group Rights. Human Rights Quarterly 21: 108–132.
- Outka, Gene, and John P.Reeder, Jr., eds. 1993 Prospects for a Common Morality. Princeton : Princeton University Press.
- Permanent Tribunal of Peoples 1993 Session on Tibet: Verdict. Final Revision 14 December 1992. Strasbourg , France .
- 1993 Political Liberalism. New York : Columbia University Press.
- 1999 The Law of Peoples. Cambridge, Mass .: Harvard University Press.
- 1994 Foundations without Foundationalism.”In Outka and Reeder, Prospects for a Common Morality, pp. 191–214.
- 2000 Crimes Against Humanity: The Struggle for Global Justice. New York : New Press.
- 1997 ‘Think Globally, Punish Locally’: Nonstate Actors, Multinational Corporations, and Human Rights Sanctions Ethics & International Affairs 12: 19–41.
- 1993a Human Rights, Rationality, and Sentimentality.”In StephenShute and SusanHurley, eds., On Human Rights: The Oxford Amnesty Lectures 1993, pp. 111–134. New York : Basic Books.
- 1993b The Priority of Democracy in Philosophy” and “Truth and Freedom: A Reply to Thomas McCarthy.”In Outka and Reeder, Prospects for a Common Morality, pp. 254–289.
- 2001 Profits and Principles: Global Capitalism and Human Rights in China. Ithaca : Cornell University Press.
- 1998 Globalization and the Convergence of Values. Cornell International Law Journal 30: 429–491.
- 2000 Development as Freedom. New York : Anchor Books.
- 1999 Social Movements and the Social Construction of Human Rights. Human Rights Quarterly 21: 980–1008.
- 1996 A World Consensus on Human Rights? Dissent (Summer):15–21.
- 1997 Humanitarian Intervention: An Inquiry into Law and Morality, Second Edition. Irvington-on-Hudson , NY : Transnational Publishers, Inc.
- Third Committee 1948 Official Records of the Third Session of the General Assembly, Part I, Humanitarian and Cultural Questions, THIRD COMMITTEE, Summary Records of Meeting 21 September–8 December 1948. Lake Success , NY : United Nations .
- 1994 Environmental Protection and the Absence of Restrictions on Human Rights.”In K. E.Mahoney and P.Mahoney, eds., Human Rights in the Twenty-First Century, pp. 561–593. Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- 1995 Comparative Ethics and Intercultural Human Rights Dialogues: A Programmatic Inquiry.”In LisaSowle Cahill and James F.Childress, eds., Christian Ethics: Problems and Prospects, pp. 357–378. Cleveland , Ohio : Pilgrim Press.
- 1998 Moral Grounds and Plural Cultures: Interpreting Human Rights in the International Community. Journal of Religious Ethics 26.2: 271–282.
- 1994 Universality vs. Relativism in Human Rights.”In Kelsay and Twiss, Religion and Human Rights, pp. 31–59. , , , and
- UNESCO 1948 Human Rights: Comments and Interpretations. A symposium edited by UNESCO with an introduction by Jacques Maritain. Paris : UNESCO .
- 1999 Getting Religion on Corporate Ethics. The New York Times (October 18):C1, C10.