Social and Ethnic Segregation in Europe: Levels, Causes, and Effects
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2005
Journal of Urban Affairs
Volume 27, Issue 3, pages 331–348, August 2005
How to Cite
Musterd, S. (2005), Social and Ethnic Segregation in Europe: Levels, Causes, and Effects. Journal of Urban Affairs, 27: 331–348. doi: 10.1111/j.0735-2166.2005.00239.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2005
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2005
- 1995. The changing geography of metropolitan opportunity: The segregation of the poor in US metropolitan areas, 1970–1990. Housing Policy Debate, 6(1), 45–72. , , & .
- 2003. Host-stranger relations in Rome, Tel Aviv, Paris and Amsterdam: A comparison of local policies towards labour migrants. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Amsterdam. .
- 1998. Socio-spatial dynamics: Ethnic divisions of mobility and housing in post-Palme Sweden. Urban Studies, 35(3), 397–428. .
- 2001. Spaces of socialization and social network competition: A study of neighbourhood effects in Stockholm, Sweden. In H. T.Andersen & R.Van Kempen (Eds.), Governing European cities: Social fragmentation and urban governance(pp. 149–188). Aldershot: Ashgate. .
- Social mix and social perspectives in post-war housing estates. In R.Van Kempen, K.Dekker, S.Hall, & I.Tosics (Eds.), Restructuring large Housing Estates in European Cities. Utrecht: Utrecht University. , & . (in press).
- 2001. Disentangling area effects: Evidence from deprived and non-deprived neighbourhoods. Urban Studies, 38(12), 2277–2298. , & .
- 2001. Income inequalities and socio-economic segregation in Oslo: Governance by the market. In H. T.Andersen & R.Van Kempen (Eds.), Governing European cities: Social fragmentation, social exclusion and urban governance(pp. 211–232). Aldershot: Ashgate. .
- 1997. Moving up versus moving out: Neighbourhood effects in housing mobility programmes. Housing Policy Debates, 8, 195–234. .
- 2003. Re-shaping the geography of opportunity. Housing Studies, 18(6), 915–936. .
- 2002. Understanding urban inequality: A model based on existing theories and an empirical illustration. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 26(2), 403–413. , & .
- 2003. American inequality and its consequences. Washington: The Brookings Institution. , & .
- Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek, n.d. StatLine. Available: http://www.statline.cbs.nl/StatWeb/[March 2005].
- 1988. Understanding residential segregation in American cities: Interpreting the evidence. Population Research and Policy Review, 7, 113–121. .
- 1989. Residential segregation in American cities: Common ground and differences in interpretation. Population Research and Policy Review, 8, 193–197. .
- 2004. Recent evidence on the continuing causes of black-white residential segregation. Journal of Urban Affairs, 26(3), 379–400. .
- 2002. Ethnic segregation and the welfare state. In I.Schnell & W.Ostendorf (Eds.), Studies in segregation and desegregation(pp. 107–131). Aldershot: Ashgate. , & .
- 1998. International migration and ethnic segregation: Impacts on urban areas. Urban Studies, 35(3), 367–370. , , & .
- 1955. Residential distribution and occupational stratification. American Journal of Sociology, 60, 493–503. , & .
- 1997. Does neighborhood matter? Assessing recent evidence, Housing Policy Debate, 8(4), 833–866. , & .
- 2002. Segregierte armut und soziale benachteiligung. In A.Mayr, M.Meurer, & J.Vogt (Eds.), Stadt und region: Dynamik von Lebenswelten(pp. 292–305). Leipzig: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geographie. .
- 2001. Immigration to Vienna and Munich: Similarities and differences. In H. T.Andersen & R.Van Kempen (Eds.), Governing European cities: Social fragmentation and urban governance(pp. 273–295). Aldershot: Ashgate. , & .
- 1998. Ethnic segregation in Cologne, Germany, 1984–1994. Urban Studies 35(10), 1745–1763. .
- 2003. Social norms in distressed neighbourhoods: Testing the Wilson hypothesis. Housing Studies, 18(6), 807–826. , & .
- 2003. Neighbourhood effects on social opportunities: The European and American research and policy context. Housing Studies, 18(6), 797–806. , , & .
- 1988. Residential segregation in American cities: A contrary review. Population Research and Policy Review, 7, 93–112. .
- 1989. Residential segregation in American cities: A further response to Clark. Population Research and Policy Review, 8, 181–192. .
- 2002. Trans-Atlantic perspectives on opportunity, deprivation and the housing nexus. Housing Studies, 17(1), 5–12. .
- 1995. The geography of metropolitan opportunity: A reconnaissance and conceptual framework, Housing Policy Debate, 6(1), 7–43. , & .
- 1998. Will dispersed housing programmes reduce social problems in the US? Housing Studies, 13(5), 605–622. , & .
- 2002. Forced relocation vs. voluntary mobility: The effects of dispersal programmes on households. Housing Studies, 17(1), 107–123. .
- 2002. US Census Bureau, Series CENSR-3, Racial and ethnic residential segregation in the United States: 1980–2000. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. Available: http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/resseg/papertoc.html[February 2005]. , , & .
- 2001. Urban fragmentation and revitalization policies in France: A new urban governance in the making. In H. T.Andersen & R.Van Kempen (Eds.), Governing European cities: Social fragmentation, social exclusion and urban governance(pp. 321–346). Aldershot: Ashgate. .
- 1997. Poverty and place: Ghettos, barrios, and the American city. New York: Russel Sage Foundation. .
- 2003. Stunning progress, hidden problems: Concentrated poverty in the 1990s. Washington: The Brookings Institution. .
- 2002. Response: From residential disadvantage to opportunity? Reflections on British and European policy and research. Housing Studies, 17(1), 145–150. .
- 1997. Foreigners in Brussels 1981–1991: Spatial continuity and social change. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, 88(2), 105–119. , & .
- 1997. Minorities in West European cities. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, 88(2), 99–104. , , & .
- 1998. Towards undivided cities in Western Europe. New challenges for urban policy, part 6 Lille. Delft: Delft University Press. , & .
- 1984. The economic illusion: False choices between prosperity and social justice. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. .
- 2000. The neighbourhoods they live in: The effects of neighborhood residence on child and adolescent outcomes. Psychological Bulletin, 126(2), 309–337. , & .
- 1993. American apartheid. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. , & .
- 2003. Segregation and integration: A contested relationship. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 29(4), 623–641. .
- 2003, September. Employment, social mobility and neighbourhood effects. Paper presented at the International Sociological Association, Research Committee 21 Conference “Challenging Urban Identities,” Milan. , & .
- 1998. Urban segregation and the welfare state: Inequality and exclusion in Western cities. London: Routledge. , & . (Eds.).
- 2003. Understanding segregation in the metropolitan area of Amsterdam. In S.Musterd & W.Salet (Eds.), Amsterdam human capital(pp. 181–197). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. , & .
- 1998. Multi-ethnic metropolis: Patterns and policies. Dordrecht/London/Boston: Kluwer. , , & .
- 2003. Environmental effects and social mobility. Housing Studies, 18(6), 877–892. , , & .
- 1999. Towards undivided cities: The potential of economic revitalisation and housing redifferentiation. Housing Studies, 14(5), 573–584. , , & .
- National Statistics. (n.d.). Census 2001. Available: http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/[March 2005].
- 1996. Does Britain have ghettos? Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 21, 216–235. .
- 1999. London and New York: Contrasts in British and American models of segregation. International Journal of Population Geography, 5, 319–351. (with .
- 1998. Urban decline and the new social and ethnic divisions in the core cities of the Italian industrial triangle. Urban Studies, 35(3), 449–465. .
- 1995. Changing the geography of opportunity by expanding residential choice: Lessons from the Gautreaux program. Housing Policy Debate, 6(1), 231–269. .
- 2002. Assessing ‘neighborhood effects’: Social processes and new directions in research. Annual Review of Sociology, 28, 443–478. , , & .
- 1991. The global city: New York, London, Tokyo. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2000. Changing income inequalities in OECD Countries: Updated results from the Luxemburg Income Survey (LIS). Syracuse, NY: Centre for Policy Research, The Maxwell School, Syracuse University. , & .
- 2003. Social effects of urban restructuring: A case study in Amsterdam and Utrecht, the Netherlands. Housing Studies, 18(6), 853–874. , & .
- 1995. Segregatie op microniveau. Amsterdam: AME, Universiteit van Amsterdam. , , & .
- 1998. Ethnic segregation in cities: New forms and explanations in a dynamic world. Urban Studies, 35, 1631–1656. , & .
- 1993. Urban outcasts: Stigma and division in the black American ghetto and the French urban periphery. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 17, 366–383. .
- 1987. The truly disadvantaged, the inner city, the underclass and public policy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. .