We are very grateful to the editor Philip Haile and to two anonymous referees for extremely helpful suggestions, and to Jim Adams, Bronwyn Hall, Adam Jaffe, Jenny Lanjouw, Imran Rasul, Len Waverman, and Arvids Ziedonis for comments on earlier drafts of the article. We thank Manuel Trajtenberg for making available the university patent data, and Don Siegel for help with the AUTM data. We also benefited from seminar participants at Harvard University, The Hebrew University, London School of Economics, San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank, University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, Ludwig Maximillian University of Munich, and the NBER. Alan Paau, director of the Technology Licensing Office at UCSD, provided very helpful suggestions on the design of the TLO survey. Finally, we gratefully acknowledge financial support from the Samuel Neaman Institute for Advanced Studies in Science and Technology Policy at the Technion (Israel).
Incentives and invention in universities
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008, RAND
The RAND Journal of Economics
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 403–433, Summer 2008
How to Cite
Lach, S. and Schankerman, M. (2008), Incentives and invention in universities. The RAND Journal of Economics, 39: 403–433. doi: 10.1111/j.0741-6261.2008.00020.x
- Issue published online: 16 SEP 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!