The flight speed of parent birds feeding young
Article first published online: 2 NOV 2006
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 37, Issue 6, pages 545–554, November 2006
How to Cite
I. Houston, A. (2006), The flight speed of parent birds feeding young. Journal of Avian Biology, 37: 545–554. doi: 10.1111/j.0908-8857.2006.03731.x
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 2 NOV 2006
- Paper received 15 June 2005; manuscript revised 3 July 2006; manuscript accepted 14 July 2006
- 1991. Bird flight and optimal migration. Trends Ecol. Evol. 6: 210–215. .
- 1985. A model of foraging efficiency and daily energy budget in the black skimmer (Rynchops nigra). Can. J. Zool. 63: 42–48. .
- 1990. Flight speed of the barn swallow, Hirundo rustica. Can. J. Zool. 68: 1–5. , and .
- 1991. Intraspecies variation in avian energy expenditure-correlates and constraints. Ibis 133: 236–245. and .
- 1991. Ydenberg's model of fledging time-a comment. Ecology 72: 1893–1896. , and .
- 1997. Flight speed, foraging efficiency, and daily energy budget of the barn swallow, Hirundo rustica. Can. J. Zool. 75: 1176–1183. and .
- 1995. Optimal flight speed of birds. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 348: 471–487. and .
- 1996. Skylark optimal flight speeds for flying nowhere and somewhere. Behav. Ecol. 7: 121–126. and .
- 1986. The optimal flight velocity for a bird exploiting patches of food. J. Theor. Biol. 119: 345–362. .
- 1987. Optimal foraging by parent birds feeding dependent young. J. Theor. Biol. 124: 251–274. .
- 1993. The efficiency of mass loss in breeding birds. Proc. R. Soc. B 254: 221–225. .
- 1995. Energetic constraints and foraging efficiency. Behav. Ecol. 6: 393–396. .
- 2000. The strength of selection in the context of migration speed. Proc. R. Soc. B 267: 2393–2395. .
- 1999. Models of adaptive behaviour. Cambridge University Press. and .
- 1996. The use of a time and energy budget model of a parent bird to investigate limits to fledging mass in the thick-billed murre. Funct. Ecol. 10: 432–439. , and .
- 1985. Flight speeds of central place foragers: female Lapland longspurs feeding nestlings. Anim. Behav. 33: 810–816. and .
- 1990. Flight speeds of parent birds feeding nestlings: maximization of foraging efficiency or food delivery rate?. Can. J. Zool. 68: 2269–2274. and .
- 1997. Currencies for foraging based on energetic gain. Am. Nat. 150: 603–617. and .
- 1981. Optimal flight speed in birds when feeding young. J. Anim. Ecol. 50: 473–477. .
- 1975. Mechanics of flight. – In: Farner, D. S. and King, J. R. (eds), Avian biology. Academic Press, pp. 1–75. .
- 1989. Bird flight performance: a practical calculation manual. Oxford University Press. .
- 1979. A new approach to animal flight mechanics. J. Exp. Biol. 80: 17–54. .
- 1999. Estimating power curves of flying vertebrates. J. Exp. Biol. 202: 3449–3461. .
- 1986. Foraging theory. Princeton University Press. and .
- 2002. Optimization of short-term animal behaviour and the currency of time. Anim. Behav. 64: 945–953. , , and .
- 1975. Flight energetics. Symp. Zool. Soc. Lond. 35: 49–63. .
- 1983. Time and energy constraints on brood size of swallows, Hirundo rustica, and sand martins, Riparia riparia. Oecologia 59: 331–338. .
- 1997. Parental provisioning in a variable environment: Evaluation of three foraging currencies and a state variable model. Evol. Ecol. 11: 399–417. and .
- 1993. Efficiency-maximizing flight speeds in parent black terns. Ecology 74: 1893–1901. and .
- 1994. Time and energy constraints and the relationship between currencies in foraging theory. Behav. Ecol. 5: 28–34. , , , and .