Changes in body mass and organ size during remigial moult in common scoter Melanitta nigra
Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2008
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 35–40, January 2008
How to Cite
Fox, A. D., Hartmann, P. and Petersen, I. K. (2008), Changes in body mass and organ size during remigial moult in common scoter Melanitta nigra. Journal of Avian Biology, 39: 35–40. doi: 10.1111/j.0908-8857.2008.04135.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 14 JAN 2008
- Paper received 27 November 2006; manuscript accepted 16 February 2007
- 1979. Does the wing molt cause nutritional stress in lesser snow geese?. Auk 96: 68–72. .
- 1984. Nutrient reserve dynamics of breeding and molting brant. Auk 101: 361–370. .
- 1987. Body and organ mass and body composition of postbreeding female lesser scaup. Auk 104: 694–699. and .
- 1981. The postbreeding ecology of the redhead duck (Aythya americana) on Long Island Bay, Lake Winnepegiosis, Manitoba. PhD thesis, McGill University, Montreal. .
- 1985. Protein reserve dynamics in postbreeding adult male redheads. Condor 87: 23–32. .
- 1999. Empirical evidence for differential organ reductions during trans oceanic flight. Proc. R. Soc. B 267: 191–195. , , , , and .
- 1992. The effects of temperature on oxygen consumption, heart rate and deep body temperature during diving in the tufted duck Aythya fuligula. J. Exp. Biol. 163: 139–151. and .
- 1998. Regulated changes in body mass and muscle mass in molting blue-winged teal for an early return to flight. Can. J. Zool. 76: 26–32. and .
- 1990. Total body electrical conductivity (TOBEC) to estimate total body fat of free-living birds. Condor 92: 496–499. , and .
- – In: Cramp, S. and Simmons, K. E. L. (eds), The birds of the western Palearctic. Vol. 1. Oxford University Press, Oxford 1977..
- 2001. Time course and reversibility of changes in the gizzards of red knots alternately eating hard and soft food. J. Exp. Biol. 204: 2167–2173. , , and .
- 1997. An energetic approach to habitat use and food exploitation limits of diving ducks in the Ijsselmeer area. de Leeuw, J. J. Demanding divers: ecological energetics of food exploitation by diving ducks. PhD dissertation, University of Groningen, pp. 147–178. .
- 1999. Food intake rates and habitat segregation of tufted duck Aythya fuligula and scaup Aythya marila exploiting zebra mussels Dreissena polymorpha. Ardea 87: 15–31. .
- 1999. Wintering tufted ducks Aythya fuligula diving for zebra mussels Dreissena polymorpha balance feeding costs within narrow margins of their energy budget. J. Avian Biol. 30: 182–192. , and .
- 1993. Diet of the common scoter Melanitta nigra and velvet scoter Melanitta fusca wintering in the North Sea. Ornis Fenn. 70: 215–218. , , and .
- 2003. Diet and habitat use of scoters Melanitta in the western Palearctic - a brief overview. Wildfowl 54: 163–182. .
- 2005. Changes in body mass and organ size during wing moult in non-breeding greylag geese. J. Avian Biol. 36: 538–548. and .
- 1998. Patterns of body mass change during moult in three different goose populations. Wildfowl 49: 45–56. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Phenotypic plasticity. – In: Keller, E. F. and Lloyd, E. A. (eds), Keywords in evolutionary biology. Harvard University Press, Massachusetts, pp. 255–262. .
- 1988. Annual body weight change in ring-necked ducks (Aythya collaris). – In: Weller, M. (ed.), Waterfowl in winter. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, pp. 257–269. , and .
- 1973. Moult migration and wing-feather moult of seaducks in Denmark. Dan. Rev. Game Biol. 8: 1–42. .
- 2006. Effects of feeding patterns on body mass loss in moulting greylag geese Anser anser. Bird Study 53: 20–31. .
- 2003. Field methods to assess flight muscle volume in moulting geese. Wildl. Biol. 9: 155–159. , , and .
- 1997. Numbers and distributions of waterbirds in Denmark 1987–1989. Dan. Rev. Game Biol 15: 1–184. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Effects of body size, body fat, and changes in pressure with depth on buoyancy and costs of diving in ducks Aythya spp. Can. J. Zool. 69: 2879–2887. and .
- 1954. On the food habits of diving ducks in Denmark. Dan. Rev. Game Biol. 2: 157–266. .
- 1990. Rheostasis. The phenology of change. University Press, Oxford. .
- 1998. Computer simulation of fat and muscle burn in long-distance bird migration. J. Theor. Biol. 191: 47–61. .
- 2003. Distribution and numbers of birds in Kattegat in relation to the proposed offshore wind farm south of Læsø: Ornithological impact assessment. Rep. Dan. Natl Environ Res. Inst., Kalø. , and .
- 1979. Dielectric and electric properties of biological materials. Wiley, Chichester. .
- 1988. Breast muscle atrophy and constraints on foraging during the flightless period of wing moulting great crested grebes. Ardea 76: 96–106. .
- 1998. Phenotypic flexibility during migration: optimisation of organ size contingent on the risks and rewards of fuelling and flight?. J. Avian Biol. 29: 511–520. .
- 2003. Phenotypic flexibility and the evolution of organismal design. Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 228–233. and .
- 1998. Guts don't fly: small digestive organs in obese bar-tailed godwits. Auk 115: 196–203. and .
- 1997. Rapid reversible changes in organ size as a component of adaptive behaviour. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12: 134–138. and .
- 2002. Physical limitations of the TOBEC method – accuracy and long-term stability. Physiol. Behav. 75: 105–118. , , and .
- 1968. The moult migration. Wildfowl 19: 5–24. .
- 1996. Nutritional consequences of molt in male canvasbacks: variation in nutrient reserves and digestive tract morphology. Condor 98: 512–526. and .
- 1997. Diet and nutrition of male canvasbacks during post-reproductive molts. J. Wildl. Manage. 61: 426–434. and .
- 1979. Havbundens dyreliv: Infaunaen, den jævne havbunds dyresamfund. – In: Nørrevang, A. and Lundø, J. (eds), Danmarks natur.. Vol. 3. Politiken, Copenhagen, pp. 112–122. .
- 2002. The effects of lipid location on non-invasive estimates of body composition using EM-SCAN technology. J. Exp. Biol. 205: 3101–3105. and .
- 1997. A field test of the carrying capacity concept in wintering diving ducks: do high foraging costs delimit exploitation of zebra mussels?. de Leeuw, J. J. Demanding divers: ecological energetics of food exploitation by diving ducks. PhD dissertation, University of Groningen, pp. 21–51. , , and .
- 2005. Reinterpretation of gizzard sizes of red knots world-wide emphasises overriding importance of prey quality at migratory stopover sites. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 2609–2618. , , and .
- 2003. Cost–benefit analysis of mollusc-eating in a shorebird II. Optimizing gizzard size in the face of seasonal demands. J. Exp. Biol. 206: 3369–3380. , , and .
- 1988. Evaluation of a non-destructive method for determining fat stores in small birds and animals. Physiol. Zool. 61: 153–156. .