Stable isotope evidence for different regional source areas of common crossbill Loxia curvirostra irruptions into Britain
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2008
Journal of Avian Biology
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 30–34, January 2008
How to Cite
Marquiss, M., Hobson, K. A. and Newton, I. (2008), Stable isotope evidence for different regional source areas of common crossbill Loxia curvirostra irruptions into Britain. Journal of Avian Biology, 39: 30–34. doi: 10.1111/j.0908-8857.2008.04212.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2008
- Paper received 1 March 2007; manuscript accepted 12 October 2007
- 1991. Bird Migration. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. .
- 1993. Adaptation to single resources and the evolution of crossbill (Loxia) diversity. Ecol. Monogr. 63: 305–325. .
- 2005. Application of stable hydrogen and oxygen isotopes to wildlife forensic investigations at global scales. Oecologia 143: 337–348. , and .
- 1964. Crossbills in Britain and Ireland, 1963. Brit. Birds 57: 477–501. .
- 2007. Using stable isotope analysis of multiple feather tracts to identify moulting provenance of vagrant birds: a case study of Baikal teal Anas formosa in Denmark. Ibis 149: 622–625. , , and .
- 1965. Cone crop fluctuations in Scots pine and Norway spruce. Stud. Forest. Svecica no, p. 33. .
- 1988. Measurements and moult of irruptive common crossbills (Loxiacurvirostra curvirostra) in Central Belgium. Le Gerfault 78: 243–260. .
- 2003. Making migratory connections with stable isotopes. – In: Berthold, P., Gwinner, E. and Sonnenschein, E. (eds), Avian migration. Springer, London, pp. 379–391. .
- 2005a. Using stable isotopes to trace long-distance dispersal in birds and other taxa. Div. Distr. 11: 157–164. .
- 2005b. Flying fingerprints: making connections with stable isotopes and trace elements. – In: Greenberg, R. and Marra, P. P. (eds), Birds of two Worlds: the ecology and evolution of migratory birds. John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp. 235–246. .
- 2004. Using stable isotope measurements of feathers to infer geographical origins of migrating European birds. Oecologia 142: 477–488. , , , and .
- 1998. Scale of mast-seeding and tree-ring growth. Nature 396: 225–226. and .
- 1992. Species and pseudospecies: the structure of crossbill populations. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 47: 325–335. .
- 1954. The natural regulation of animal numbers. Oxford University Press, Oxford. .
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104: 116–121. and .
- 1980. Some biometrics of common crossbills from Ae forest, Dumfriesshire. Ring. Migr. 3: 35–36. .
- 2002. Common crossbill. – In: Wernham, C. V., Toms, M. P., Marchant, J. H., Clark, J. A., Siriwardena, G. M. and Baillie, S. R. (eds), The migration atlas: movements of the birds of Britain and Ireland. T. & A. D. Poyser, London, pp. 663–665. .
- 2007. Seasonal pattern in hawk predation on common bullfinches Pyrrhula pyrrhula; evidence of an interaction with habitat affecting food availability. Bird Study 54: 1–11. .
- 1994. Seasonal trends in abundance, diet and breeding of common crossbills (Loxiacurvirostra) in an area of mixed species conifer plantation following the 1990 crossbill irruption. Forestry 67: 31–47. and .
- 2002. Ecological differentiation in relation to bill size amongst sympatric, genetically undifferentiated crossbills (Loxia spp.). Ibis 144: 494–508. and .
- 1967. The feeding ecology of the bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula L.) in southern England. J. Anim. Ecol. 36: 721–744. .
- 1972. Finches. Collins, London. .
- 2006. Movement patterns of common crossbills Loxiacurvirostra in Europe. Ibis 148: 782–788. .
- 2007a. The migration ecology of birds. Academic Press, London. .
- 2007b. Advances in the study of irruptive migration. Ardea 94: 433–460. .
- 2006. An investigation into the provenance of northern bullfinches Pyrrhula p. pyrrhula found in winter in Scotland and Denmark. J. Avian Biol. 37: 431–435. , , and .
- 1996. The biometrics of invading common crossbills Loxiacurvirostra in Britain during 1990–1991. Ring. Migr. 17: 1–10. , , and .
- 1992. Identification guide to European passerines, 4th edition. Svensson, Stockholm. .
- 2003. Comparative equilibration and online technique for determination of non-exchangeable hydrogen of keratins for use in animal migration studies. Isotopes Environ. Health Stud. 39: 1–7. and .
- – In: Wernham, C. V., Toms, M. P., Marchant, J. H., Clark, J. A., Siriwardena, G. M. and Baillie, S. R. (eds), The migration atlas: movements of the birds of Britain and Ireland. T. & A. D. Poyser. London 2002..