Why Create? A Critical Review of a Community Informatics Project
Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2006
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
Volume 8, Issue 3, page 0, April 2003
How to Cite
Keeble, L. (2003), Why Create? A Critical Review of a Community Informatics Project. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 8: 0. doi: 10.1111/j.1083-6101.2003.tb00213.x
- Issue online: 23 JUN 2006
- Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2006
- 1995). Creating education through research. Newark : Kirklington Press. (
- BECTa (2001a). The digital divide: A discussion paper. London : DfEE.
- BECTa (2001b). Becta - An introduction - Connecting the learning society. Coventry : British Educational Communications and Technology Agency.
- 2000). Speech by the UK Prime Minister to the Knowledge 2000 Conference. Retrieved from http://www.number-10.gov.uk/news.asp?NewsId=637&SectionId=32. Currently available at http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page1521.asp. (
- 2000). Achieving universal access. Consultation Report for the UK Government on Internet Access. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.number-0.gov.uk/default.asp?Pageid=1203. Currently available at http://www.e-envoy.gov.uk/oee/oee.nsf/sections/briefings-top/$file/onlinecampaign.htm. , & (
- 2000). 'Successful futures?' Community views on adult education and training. York : York Publishing Services. , & (
- 2001). When ‘virtual’ meets values: Insights from the voluntary sector. Information, Community & Society, 4(1), 54–73. , & (
- Cabinet Office (2000). E-government - A strategic framework for public services in the information age. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.iagechampions.gov.uk/strategy.htm. Currently available at http://www.e-envoy.gov.uk/oee/oee.nsf/sections/ukonline-estrategy/$file/default.htm.
- 2000). The digital divide versus digital differences: Principles for equitable use of technology in education. Educational Technology, 40(4), 17–21. (
- 2001). Participating in the information society: Community development and social inclusion. In L.Keeble & B.D.Loader (Eds.), Community informatics: Shaping computer-mediated social relations. London : Routledge. (
- 1997). Down to earth vision: Community based IT initiatives and social inclusion. London : IBC/CDF. , & (
- DfEE (2000). Press Release 34/00. The need to increase access to new technology skills: End the digital divide. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://188.8.131.52/coi/coipress.nsf.
- e-Skills NTO (2001). A world of opportunity … A strategic plan for e-skills in the UK, 2001 - 2004. London : The National Training Organisation for the Information Age.
- 2002). Introducing information and communication technologies into marginalised neighbourhoods - An exploration of the digital divide. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis. Salford : University of Salford. (
- Future Foundation (2000). Virtual promise in the third sector. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.virtualpromise.net/.
- 2001). E-enabling the voluntary and community sectors - Final report - November 2001. Glasgow : Hall Aitken with Ashbrook Research and Partnerships Online. (
- 2001). Creating electronic regions (Briefing, Dec-Jan 2000–01). The Parliamentary Monitor - IT. (
- 2000). Britain and the Knowledge Economy. Speech by the Chancellor of the Exchequer to the Smith Institute in London, 16th February 2000. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.hm-treasure.gov.uk/newsroom_and_speeches/press/2000/press_19_00.cfm. Currently available at http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/newsroom_and_speeches/speeches/chancellorexchequer/speech_chex_160200.cfm. (
- JSU (2000a). The Local Economy of Middlesbrough. Retrieved November, 2002 from http://www.teesvalley-jsu.gov.uk/reports/i&f/jsu0008.doc.
- JSU (2000b). Overview of the Tees Valley. Retrieved November, 2002 from http://www.teesvalley-jsu.gov.uk/reports/ecostrat/techrep3.doc.
- JSU (2000c). Social Exclusion in the Tees Valley. Retrieved November, 2002 from http://www.teesvalley-jsu.gov.uk/reports/ecostrat/techrep5.doc.
- JSU (2002). Social and Economic Data Files. Retrieved November, 2002 from http://www.teesvalley-jsu.gov.uk.
- 2002). The youth divide: Diverging paths to adulthood. York : York Publishing Services. (
- 1996). You and your action research project. London : Routledge. , , & (
- 1990). Involving a whole staff in developing a maths curriculum. In P.Lomax (Ed.), Managing staff development in schools: An action research approach (pp. 70–81). Clevedon : Multi-Lingual Matters. (
- OFTEL (2000). Consumers use of Digital TV - summary of Oftel residential survey. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications/research/digi1000.htm.
- OFTEL (2001). Summary of Oftel Residential survey. Consumers use of Internet. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.oftel.gov.uk/research/2001/q3intr.htm. Office of the e-Envoy UK Online Campaign. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.e-envoy.gov.uk/oee/oee.nsf/sections/briefings-top/$file/onlinecampaign.htm. Currently available from http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications/research/2001/q4internetr0501.htm.
- ONS (2000). Internet Access. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.statistics.gov.uk.
- PAT 15 (2000). Closing the digital divide: Information and communication technologies in deprived areas - A report by Policy Action Team 15. London : DTI.
- RSGB (2001). ICT access and use: Report on the benchmark survey (Research Brief 252). Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.dfee.gov.uk/research/re_brief/RB252.doc. Currently available at http://www.dfes.qbfox.com/research/rb252_acc.htm?PHPSESSID=456472601d255a3ca572005a7ef35033.
- 1999). Local connections: Making the net work for neighbourhood renewal. London : Communities On Line. (
- 2000). Internet adoption advice and information agencies. Unpublished MA dissertation. Manchester : Manchester Metropolitan University. (
- 2002). Action research, relativism and critical realism: A ‘theoretical’ justification for action research. Retrieved February, 2003 from http://www.uea.ac.uk/care/carn/Members_papers/Richard_Winter.html. (
- 1996). Introduction: New directions in action research. In O.Zuber-Skerritt (Ed.), New directions in action research. London : Falmer Press. (