The Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural Dimensions of Search Engines: An Introduction
Article first published online: 6 JUN 2007
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 769–777, April 2007
How to Cite
Hargittai, E. (2007), The Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural Dimensions of Search Engines: An Introduction. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 12: 769–777. doi: 10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00349.x
- Issue published online: 6 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 6 JUN 2007
- 2003). The use of Web search engines in information science research. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 38, 231–288. . (
- 2006, August 9). A face is exposed for AOL searcher no. 4417749. New York Times. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/technology/09aol.html?ex=1312776000&en=f6f61949c6da4d38&ei=5090 , & . (
- comScore. (2007). comScore Releases January U.S. Search Engine Rankings. Reston, VA: comScore Networks.
- 2005). Search engine users. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Searchengine_users.pdf . (
- 2004). Jew watch, Google, and search engine optimization. Retrieved March 12, 2007 from http://sethf.com/anticensorware/google/jew-watch.php . (
- 2000). Open portals or closed gates? Channeling content on the World Wide Web. Poetics, 27(4), 233–253. . (
- 2002). Second-level digital divide: Differences in people’s online skills. First Monday, 7(4). Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue7_4/hargittai/index.html . (
- 2004). Do you “Google”? Understanding search engine use beyond the hype. First Monday, 9(3). Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_3/hargittai/index.html . (
- 2007). Beyond gigs of log data: The social aspects of Internet use. On Tech Talks. Mountain View, CA: Google, Inc. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6884513936578531954&q=beyond+gigs . (
- 2005). Toward a social framework for information seeking. In A.Spink & C.Cole (Eds.), New Directions in Human Information Behavior (pp. 55–70). New York: Springer. , & . (
- 2001). Research on Web search behavior. Library and Information Science Research, 23(2), 167–185. . (
- iCrossing. (2005). How America Searches. New York: iCrossing.
- 2000). Shaping the Web: Why the politics of search engines matters. The Information Society, 16(3), 169–185. , & . (
- National Opinion Research Center. (2000). General Social Survey. Chicago: University of Chicago.
- National Opinion Research Center. (2002). General Social Survey. Chicago: Univeresity of Chicago.
- 2006, May). A picture of search. Paper presented at the First International Conference on Scalable Information Systems, Hong Kong. , , & . (
- 2005). Search engine use. Pew Internet & American Life Project. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_SearchData_1105.pdf , & . (
- 2002). From e-sex to e-commerce: Web search changes. IEEE Computer, 35(3), 107–109. , , , & . (
- 2006, August 2). AOL sacks three workers for releasing customers’ data. The Guardian. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1855398,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=24 . (
- 2002). Localized Google search result exclusions. A statement of issues and call for data. Cambridge, MA: Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University. Retrieved March 18, 2007 from http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/google/ , & . (