Supported by the National Cancer Institute under grant no. 263-MQ-418286-1.
Use of Health-Related Online Support Groups: Population Data from the California Health Interview Survey Complementary and Alternative Medicine Study
Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
© 2010 International Communication Association
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication
Volume 15, Issue 3, pages 427–446, April 2010
How to Cite
Owen, J. E., Boxley, L., Goldstein, M. S., Lee, J. H., Breen, N. and Rowland, J. H. (2010), Use of Health-Related Online Support Groups: Population Data from the California Health Interview Survey Complementary and Alternative Medicine Study. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 15: 427–446. doi: 10.1111/j.1083-6101.2010.01501.x
Address reprint requests to Jason E. Owen, Ph.D., M.P.H., Department of Psychology, 11130 Anderson St., Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350; email: email@example.com. Phone: (909) 558-7705. Fax: (909) 558-0171.
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
- 1973). Societal and individual determinants of medical care utilization in the United States. The Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly: Health and Society , 51, 95–124. , & (
- 2005). Internet-based self-help for depression: randomized controlled clinical trial. British Journal of Psychiatry, 187, 456–461. , , , , , & (
- 2006). Internet-based self-help with therapist feedback and in vivo group exposure for social phobia: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 74, 677–686. , , , , , , , & (
- 2002). Do Internet-based support interventions change perceptions of social support? An experimental trial of approaches for supporting diabetes self-management. American Journal of Community Psychology, 30, 637–54. , , , , & (
- 2006). Relationship of Internet health use with patient behavior and self-efficacy: Experiences of newly diagnosed cancer patients who contacted the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service. Journal of Health Communication, 11, 219–36. , , , , , & (
- 2007). Use of the Internet to communicate with health care providers in the United States: Estimates from the 2003 and 2005 Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS). Journal of Medical Internet Research, 9, e20. , , , , , , (
- 1999). Professional and paraprofessional group treatments for depression: A comparison of cognitive-behavioral and mutual support interventions. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 67, 491–501. , , & (
- 2006). Hypersisters online: Social support and social comparison among hysterectomy patients on the Internet. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 31, 271–278. , , , & (
- 1998). Health communication on the Internet: An effective channel for health behavior change? Journal of Health Communication, 3, 71–9. , , & (
- 2004). Characteristics of online and offline health information seekers and factors that discriminate between them. Social Sciences & Medicince, 59, 1795–1806. , & (
- 2005). Receiving social support online: An analysis of a computer-mediated support group for individuals living with irritable bowel syndrome. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 8, 580–584. (
- 2007). Social support in cyberspace: A content analysis of communication within a Huntington's disease online support group. Patient Education & Counseling, 68, 173–8. , , & (
- 2005). Group based training for self-management strategies in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrance Database of Systematic Reviews, 18, CD003417. , , , & (
- 2005). A randomized controlled trial of an internet-based treatment for chronic headache. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 43, 277–292. , & (
- 2003). Group cognitive-behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder: Treatment outcome and long-term follow-up. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 71, 821–5. , , , , , , (
- , , , , , , , (in press). Use of computers and the Internet for health information by patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior.
- 2008). The engaged E-patient population. Pew Internet & American Life Project, retrieved April 7, 2009 from http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2008/The-Engaged-Epatient-Population.aspx. (
- 2005). The use of complementary and alternative medicine among California adults with and without cancer. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (eCAM), 2, 557–565. , , et al. (
- 2001). The effect of group psychosocial support on survival in metastatic breast cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 345, 1719–26. , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2005). Internet use among primary care patients with type 2 diabetes: The generation and education gap. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20, 470–473. , , , (
- 1999). Impact of a patient-centered, computer-based health information/support system. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 16, 1–9. , , , , , , & (
- 2005). Medical connections: Use of the Internet and traditional sources of health information by rural Alabama households. Journal of Agromedicine, 10; 17–26. , , & (
- 2005). Information needs and visitors' experience of an Internet expert forum on infertility. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 7, e20. , , , & (
- 2008). Systematic review of peer-support programs for people with cancer. Patient Education and Counseling, 70, 315–37. , , , & (
- 2002). Users of Internet health information: Differences by health status. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 4, e7. , & (
- Institute of Medicine. (2007). Cancer care for the whole patient: Meeting psychosocial health needs. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press.
- Recovery following stroke: The role of self-management education. Social Science & Medicine, 64; 735–46. , , , , , & (in press).
- 2006). Efficacy of Internet therapy for panic disorder. Journal of Behavior Therapy & Experimental Psychiatry, 37, 213–238. , , & (
- 2006). Online discussions mirroring family life during pregnancy. Informatics in Primary Care, 14, nform Prim Care; 14; 41–47. , , , & (
- 2005). The role of an online community for people with a rare disease: Content analysis of messages posted on a primary biliary cirrhosis mailing list. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 7, e10. , , & (
- 1999). Cognitive-behavioral treatment in unselected rheumatoid arthritis outpatients. Clinical Journal of Pain, 15, 58–66. , , , , & (
- 2004). How can the Internet help parents of children with rare neurologic disorders? Journal of Child Neurology, 19, 902–907. , , , , , & (
- 2006). Evaluation of a systematic design for a virtual patient community. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10, 00–00. , & (
- 2001). Use of the Internet as a resource for consumer health information: Results of the second Osteopathic Survey of Health Care in America (OSTEOSURV-II). Journal of Medical Internet Research, 3, e31. (
- 2008). A technological approach to reaching a hidden population of problem drinkers. Psychiatric Services, 59, 297–303. , & (
- 2003). Electronic support groups for breast carcinoma: A clinical trial of effectiveness. Cancer, 15, 920–5. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006). Not all negative emotions are equal: The role of emotional expression in online support groups for women with breast cancer. Psycho-oncology, 15, 160–8. , & (
- 2008). Detecting emotional expression in face-to-face and online breast cancer support groups. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 517–23. , , , , , , & (
- , , , , , & (in press). Remote treatment of bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder: A randomized trial of Internet-assisted cognitive behavioural therpy. Behaviour Research and Therapy.
- 2006). Caring for others: Internet video-conferencing group intervention for family caregivers of older adults with neurodegenerative disease. Gerontologist, 46, 398–403. , & (
- 2008). Exploring the communication of social support within virtual communities: A content analysis of messages posted to an online HIV/AIDS support group. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 11, 371–4. , & (
- 2003). The impact of health information on the Internet on the physician-patient relationship. Archives of Internal Medicine, 163, 1727–1734. , , , , , , , & (
- 2007). Use of health-related and cancer-specific support groups among adult cancer survivors. Cancer, 109, 2580–90. , , , , & (
- 2004). Use of the internet for information and support: Disclosure among persons with breast and prostate cancer. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 27, 491–505. , , , & (
- 2005). Randomized pilot of a self-guided Internet coping group for women with early-stage breast cancer. Annals of Behavioral Medicine , 30, 54–64. , , , , , , & (
- 2005). The Mediterranean eating in Scotland experience project: Evaluation of an internet-based intervention promoting the Mediterranean diet. British Journal of Nutrition, 94, 290–298. , & (
- Pew Internet & American Life Project. (2000). The Online health care revolution: How the web helps Americans take better care of themselves. Retrieved December 28, 2008 from http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Health_Report.pdf.
- Pew Internet & American Life Project (2008). Demographics of Internet Users. Retrieved April 7, 2009 from http://www.pewinternet.org/Static-Pages/Data-Tools/Download-Data/Trend-Data.aspx.
- 2006). Internet information-seeking in mental health. British Journal of Psychiatry, 189, 273–277. , & (
- 2005). How new subscribers use cancer-related online mailing lists. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 7, e32. , , , , , , & (
- 2008). Health information, credibility, homophily, and influence via the Internet: Web sites versus discussion groups. Joural of Health Communication, 23, 358–68. , , , (
- 2005). Efficacy of an internet-based behavioral weight loss program for overweight adolescent African-American girls. Eating and Weight Disorders, 10, 193–203. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006). Support provision and emotional work in an Internet support group for cancer patients. Patient Education and Counseling, 62, 193–197. (
- 2003). Evaluation of an Internet support group for women with primary breast cancer. Cancer, 97, 1164–1173. , , , , , , , , & (
- 2001). What attracts patients with diabetes to an Internet support group? A 21-month longitudinal website study. Diabetic Medicine, 18, 154–8. , & (