Avian eggshell coloration: new perspectives on adaptive explanations
Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Linnean Society of London
Biological Journal of the Linnean Society
Volume 100, Issue 4, pages 753–762, August 2010
How to Cite
CHERRY, M. I. and GOSLER, A. G. (2010), Avian eggshell coloration: new perspectives on adaptive explanations. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 100: 753–762. doi: 10.1111/j.1095-8312.2010.01457.x
- Issue online: 15 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 15 JUL 2010
- Received 3 December 2009; revised 1 March 2010; accepted for publication 1 March 2010
- 2008. Egg colour mimicry in the common cuckoo Cuculus canorus as revealed by modeling host retinal function. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 275: 2345–2352. .
- 2006. Dark nests and egg colour in birds: a possible functional role of ultraviolet reflectance in egg detectability. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 273: 2821–2839. , , .
- 2006. Rapid increase in cuckoo egg matching in a recently parasitized reed warbler population. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19: 1901–1910. , , , , , .
- 2007. Environmental conditions influence egg color of reed warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus and their parasite, the common cuckoo Cuculus canorus. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 61: 475–485. , , , , .
- 1994. Ultraviolet vision in birds: what is its function? Vision Research 34: 1471–1478. , .
- 2009. Test of an adaptive hypothesis for egg speckling along an elevational gradient in a population of Mexican jays Aphelocoma ultramarina. Journal of Avian Biology 40: 448–452. , , .
- 1981. Are ostrich Struthio camelus eggs the wrong colour? Ibis 123: 207–210. , .
- 1978. Behavioural adaptations to high density nesting in the Common Guillemot Uria aalge. Animal Behaviour 26: 321–331. .
- 1989. The avian egg: chemistry and biology. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons. , .
- 2008a. Eggshell colour does not predict measures of maternal investment in eggs of Turdus thrushes. Naturwissenschaften 95: 713–721. , , , , , .
- 2009. Are avian eggshell colours effective intraspecific communication signals in the Muscicapoidea? A perceptual modelling approach. Ibis 151: 689–698. , , , , , .
- 2008b. The modeling of avian visual perception predicts behavioural rejection responses to foreign egg colours. Biology Letters 4: 515–517. , , , .
- 2001. Egg colour matching in an African cuckoo, as revealed by ultraviolet-visible reflectance spectrophotometry. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 268: 565–571. , .
- 2007a. Do cuckoos choose nests of great reed warblers on the basis of host egg appearance? Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20: 1218–1222. , , .
- 2007b. Host intra-clutch variation, cuckoo egg matching and rejection by great reed warblers. Naturwissenschaften 94: 441–447. , , .
- 1993. Inheritance of egg-color polymorphism in the village weaver (Ploceus cucullatus). Auk 110: 683–692. .
- 2005. Comparing entire colour patterns as birds see them. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 86: 405–431. , .
- 1996. Interacting effects of lek placement, display behavior, ambient light, and color patterns in three neotropical forest-dwelling birds. American Naturalist 148: 421–452. , .
- 2010. Experimental evidence of calcium's role in eggshell pigmentation pattern and breeding performance in great tits. Auk (in press). .
- 2005. Phylogeny of titmice (Paridae): II. Species relationships based on sequences of the mitochondrial cytochrome-b gene. Auk 122: 121–143. , , .
- 2006. Yet even more ways to dress eggs. British Birds 99: 338–353. .
- 2000. Inheritance and variation in eggshell patterning in the great tit Parus major. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 267: 2469–2473. , , .
- 2005. Why are birds' eggs speckled? Ecology Letters 8: 1105–1113. , , .
- 2009. Eggshell-thinning revealed by changing shell-speckling in great tits Parus major. 7th Conference of the European Ornithologists' Union 21–26 August 2009, University of Zurich, Switzerland, Abstracts P35. , .
- 2009. Egg coloration in ring-billed gulls (Larus delawarensis): a test of the sexual signaling hypothesis. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 63: 719–729. , .
- 2010. Auk 127: 453–459. , , .
- 2008. Testing an assumption of the sexual-signaling hypothesis: does blue–green egg color reflect maternal antioxidant capacity? Condor 110: 767–771. , , .
- 1846. Eggs of British birds. London: John Van Voorst. .
- 2006. Speckled eggs: water-loss and incubation behaviour in the great tit Parus major. Oecologia 149: 561–570. , .
- 2008. Eggshell pigmentation indicates pesticide contamination. Journal of Applied Ecology 45: 133–140. , , , , .
- 2003. Animal colour vision – behavioural tests and physiological concepts. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 78: 81–118. , , .
- 1976. A survey of avian eggshell pigments. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 55B: 117–123. , .
- 2006. The evolution of egg colour and patterning in birds. Biological Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 81: 383–406. .
- 2007. Are blue eggs a sexually selected signal of female collared flycatchers? A cross-fostering experiment. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobioliology 61: 863–876. , .
- 1958. The significance of the colour of Turdine eggs. Ibis 100: 145–166. .
- 2008. Population differentiation and rapid evolution of egg color in accordance with solar radiation. Auk 125: 796–802. .
- 2009. Are dark cuckoo eggs cryptic in host nests? Animal Behaviour 78: 461–468. , , , .
- 2010. Egg-spot pattern rather than egg colour affects conspecific egg rejection in the house sparrow (Passer domesticus). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 64: 317–324. , .
- 2008. The white colour of the ostrich (Struthio camelus) egg is a trade-off between predation and overheating. Journal of Ornithology 149: 323–328. , , .
- 2008. Eggshell spotting in brood parasitic shiny cowbirds (Molothrus bonariensis) is not linked to the female sex chromosome. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 62: 1193–1199. , , , .
- 2007. Are eggshell spottiness and colour indicators of health and condition in blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus? Journal of Avian Biology 38: 377–384. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Avian eggshells: an atlas of scanning electron micrographs. Tring: BOC Occasional Publications 3, British Ornithologists' Club. .
- 1996. Avian eggshell pigments and their variability. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 113B: 607–612. , , .
- 1976. Field experiments on the adaptive significance of avian eggshell pigmentation. Behaviour 58: 26–39. .
- 2006. Egg colour reflects the amount of yolk maternal antibodies and fledging success in a songbird. Biology Letters 2: 334–336. , , .
- 2010. Parental conflict and blue egg coloration in a seabird. Naturwissenschaften 97: 173–180. , , .
- 2008. Pigment allocation to eggs decreases plasma antioxidants in a songbird. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 63: 227–233. , , .
- 2006. Experimental evidence that egg color indicates female condition at laying in a songbird. Behavioral Ecology 17: 651–655. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Evidence for the signaling function of egg color in the pied flycatcher. Behavioral Ecology 16: 931–937. , , , , , .
- 2003. Avian egg colour and sexual selection: does eggshell pigmentation reflect female condition and genetic quality? Ecology Letters 6: 803–806. , .
- 1896. A dictionary of birds. London: A and C Black. .
- 2009. Choosing suitable hosts: common cuckoos Cuculus canorus parasitize great reed warblers Acrocephalus arundinaceus of high quality. Evolutionary Ecology 23: 879–891. , , , .
- 2009. Is sexual selection blurring the significance of eggshell coloration hypotheses? Animal Behaviour 78: 209–215. , , .
- 2009. Eggshell pigmentation pattern in relation to breeding performance of blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus. Journal of Animal Ecology 78: 31–41. , .
- 2006. Egg coloration and recognition of conspecific brood parasitism in eastern bluebirds. Ethology 112: 833–838. .
- 2005. Blue and green egg-color intensity is associated with parental effort and mating system in passerines: support for the sexual selection hypothesis. Evolution 59: 636–644. , , , .
- 2008. Sexually selected egg coloration in spotless starlings. American Naturalist 171: 183–194. , , , , .
- 1987. Egg shell pigmentation. In: WellsRG, BelyarinCG, eds. Egg quality – current problems and recent advances. London: Butterworths, 147–157. .
- 2006. Cryptic gentes revealed in pallid cuckoos C. pallidus using reflectance spectrophotometry. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 273: 1929–1934. , , , .
- 1916. On the coloration of the mouths and eggs of birds. II On the coloration of eggs. Ibis 4: 529–606. .
- 1918. Rejections by birds of eggs unlike their own: with remarks on some of the cuckoo problems. Ibis Tenth Series 6: 127–154. .
- 2002. Adaptive significance of egg coloration. In: DeemingDC, ed. Avian incubation, behaviour, environments and evolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 280–298. , .
- 1972. Clutch characteristics and egg discriminate ability of the African village weaverbird Ploceus cucullatus. Ibis 114: 367–376. .
- 1998. Receptor noise as a determinant of colour thresholds. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biological Sciences 265: 351–358. , .
- 1998. Tetrachromacy, oil droplets and bird plumage colours. Journal of Comparative Physiology A 183: 621–633. , , , , .
- 1890. Darwinism: an exposition of the theory of natural selection with some of its applications. London: Macmillan. .
- 2009. Comparison of the total amount of eggshell pigments in Dongxiang brown-shelled eggs and Dongxiang blue-shelled eggs. Poultry Science 88: 1735–1739. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Evidence of selection for egg crypsis in conspicuous nests. Journal of Field Ornithology 79: 263–268. .
- 1996. Egg crypsis and clutch survival in three species of blackbirds (Icteridae). Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 58: 159–172. , .
- 2007. Egg coloration and selection for crypsis in open-nesting blackbirds. Journal of Avian Biology 38: 682–689. , .
- 2007. Egg color as an adaptation for thermoregulation. Journal of Field Ornithology 78: 176–183. , , .