THE STOMACH IN THE EULAMELLIBRANCHIA; STOMACH TYPE IV
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
1958 The Zoological Society of London
Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London
Volume 131, Issue 4, pages 487–525, December 1958
How to Cite
Purchon, R. D. (1958), THE STOMACH IN THE EULAMELLIBRANCHIA; STOMACH TYPE IV. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, 131: 487–525. doi: 10.1111/j.1096-3642.1958.tb00700.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2009
- Accepted 11th February 1958
- 1The internal structure and function of the stomach is described for representatives of seventeen families of Eulamellibranchia.
- 2Detailed comparisons are made among these and comparable data previously obtained from four families in the Filibranchia and Pseudolamellibranchia, and it is concluded that there are no grounds for sub-dividing these twenty-one families into two or more groups. In all cases the stomach is of Type IV.
- 3A new definition for Stomach Type IV is provided.
- 4It is concluded that on the basis of the internal structure of the stomach these twenty-one families appear to comprise a natural and monophyletic assemblage.