c-Ski overexpression promotes tumor growth and angiogenesis through inhibition of transforming growth factor-β signaling in diffuse-type gastric carcinoma
Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 10, pages 1809–1816, October 2009
How to Cite
Kiyono, K., Suzuki, H. I., Morishita, Y., Komuro, A., Iwata, C., Yashiro, M., Hirakawa, K., Kano, M. R. and Miyazono, K. (2009), c-Ski overexpression promotes tumor growth and angiogenesis through inhibition of transforming growth factor-β signaling in diffuse-type gastric carcinoma. Cancer Science, 100: 1809–1816. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01248.x
- Issue online: 14 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 JUN 2009
- (Received May 14, 2009/Revised June 3, 2009/Accepted June 4, 2009/Online publication July 7, 2009)
- 1Gastric cancer: global pattern of the disease and an overview of environmental risk factors. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2006; 20: 633–49., .
- 2The two histological main types of gastric carcinoma: diffuse and so-called intestinal-type carcinoma. An attempt at a histo-clinical classification. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 1965; 64: 31–49.
- 3Differential trends in the intestinal and diffuse types of gastric carcinoma in the United States, 1973–2000: increase in the signet ring cell type. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2004; 128: 765–70., , , ,
- 4Cellular and molecular aspects of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12: 2979–90., , , .
- 5Deciphering the underlying genetic and epigenetic events leading to gastric carcinogenesis. J Cell Physiol 2007; 211: 287–95., , , ,
- 6Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: a manifestation of lost cell polarity. Cancer Sci 2009; 100: 1151–7.,
- 7TGF-β signalling from cell membrane to nucleus through SMAD proteins. Nature 1997; 390: 465–71., ,
- 8Specificity and versatility in TGF-β signaling through Smads. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 2005; 21: 659–93.,
- 9Systematic analysis of the TGF-β-Smad signaling pathway in gastrointestinal cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001; 289: 350–7., , et al .
- 10Inactivation of the type II TGF-β receptor in colon cancer cells with microsatellite instability. Science 1995; 268: 1336–8., , et al .
- 11DPC4, a candidate tumor suppressor gene at human chromosome 18q21.1. Science 1996; 271: 350–3., , et al .
- 12Preserved Smad4 expression in the transforming growth factor β signaling pathway is a favorable prognostic factor in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 277–82., , et al .
- 13Smad4 expression in gastric adenoma and adenocarcinoma: frequent loss of expression in diffuse type of gastric adenocarcinoma. Histol Histopathol 2005; 20: 543–9., , et al .
- 14Inactivation of SMAD4 tumor suppressor gene during gastric carcinoma progression. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 102–10., , et al .
- 15Haploid loss of the tumor suppressor Smad4/Dpc4 initiates gastric polyposis and cancer in mice. Oncogene 2000; 19: 1868–74., , et al .
- 16RUNX transcription factors as key targets of TGF-β superfamily signaling. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2003; 13: 43–7.,
- 17Unique sequence, ski, in Sloan–Kettering avian retroviruses with properties of a new cell-derived oncogene. J Virol 1986; 57: 1065–72., , ,
- 18Ski and SnoN, potent negative regulators of TGF-β signaling. Cell Res 2009; 19: 47–57.,
- 19Smad transcriptional co-activators and co-repressors. In: Ten DijkeP, HeldinCH, eds. Smad Signal Transduction. Netherlands: Springer Netherlands, 2006; 277–93., ,
- 20Cytoplasmic localization of the oncogenic protein Ski in human cutaneous melanomas in vivo: functional implications for transforming growth factor β signaling. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 8074–8., , , , , .
- 21Increased expression of c-Ski as a co-repressor in transforming growth factor-β signaling correlates with progression of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2004; 108: 818–24., , et al .
- 22Ski promotes tumor growth through abrogation of transforming growth factor-β signaling in pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg 2007; 246: 61–8., , , .
- 23Amplification of SKI is a prognostic marker in early colorectal cancer. Neoplasia 2004; 6: 207–12., , et al .
- 24Inhibition of retinoic acid receptor signaling by Ski in acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia 2006; 20: 437–43., , et al .
- 25SKI and MEL1 cooperate to inhibit transforming growth factor-β signal in gastric cancer cells. J Biol Chem 2009; 284: 3334–44., , et al .
- 26Increased susceptibility to tumorigenesis of ski-deficient heterozygous mice. Oncogene 2001; 20: 8100–8., , , , ,
- 27Dual role of SnoN in mammalian tumorigenesis. Mol Cell Biol 2007; 27: 324–39., , et al .
- 28Tumour microenvironment: TGFβ: the molecular Jekyll and Hyde of cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2006; 6: 506–20., .
- 29Diffuse-type gastric carcinoma: progression, angiogenesis, and transforming growth factor β signaling. J Natl Cancer Inst 2009; 101: 592–604., , et al .
- 30Establishment of two new scirrhous gastric cancer cell lines: analysis of factors associated with disseminated metastasis. Br J Cancer 1995; 72: 1200–10., , , ,
- 31Establishment of lymph node metastatic model for human gastric cancer in nude mice and analysis of factors associated with metastasis. Clin Exp Metastasis 1998; 16: 389–98., , et al .
- 32Differential responses of scirrhous and well-differentiated gastric cancer cells to orthotopic fibroblasts. Br J Cancer 1996; 74: 1096–103., , , ,
- 33CD226 (DNAM-1) is involved in lymphocyte function-associated antigen 1 costimulatory signal for naive T cell differentiation and proliferation. J Exp Med 2003; 198: 1829–39., , et al .
- 34c-Ski acts as a transcriptional co-repressor in transforming growth factor-β signaling through interaction with Smads. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 35 269–77., , et al .
- 35Cytostatic and apoptotic actions of TGF-β in homeostasis and cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 807–21.,
- 36c-myc is a downstream target of the Smad pathway. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 854–61., , et al .
- 37DNA repair pathway stimulated by the forkhead transcription factor FOXO3a through the Gadd45 protein. Science 2002; 296: 530–4., , et al .
- 38Transforming growth factor-β-induced apoptosis is mediated by Smad-dependent expression of GADD45β through p38 activation. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 43 001–7., , et al .
- 39Immunoelectron microscopic localization of transforming growth factor β1 and latent transforming growth factor β1 binding protein in human gastrointestinal carcinomas: qualitative difference between cancer cells and stromal cells. Cancer Res 1993; 53: 183–90., , , , ,
- 40TGF-β induces proangiogenic and antiangiogenic factors via parallel but distinct Smad pathways. Kidney Int 2004; 66: 605–13., , et al .
- 41In vivo mechanisms by which tumors producing thrombospondin 1 bypass its inhibitory effects. Genes Dev 2001; 15: 1373–82., , et al .
- 42Gains, losses, and amplifications of genomic materials in primary gastric cancers analyzed by comparative genomic hybridization. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1999; 24: 299–305., , et al .
- 43Repression of TGF-β signaling by the oncogenic protein SKI in human melanomas: consequences for proliferation, survival, and metastasis. Oncogene 2003; 22: 3123–9..
- 44Smad4/DPC4-mediated tumor suppression through suppression of angiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000; 97: 9624–9., , et al .
- 45Thrombospondins: from structure to therapeutics: thrombospondins in cancer. Cell Mol Life Sci 2008; 65: 700–12., ,
- 46CpG island methylation in premalignant stages of gastric carcinoma. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 2847–51., , , , , .
- 47Differential expression of angiogenesis-related genes in human gastric cancers with and those without high-frequency microsatellite instability. Cancer Lett 2007; 254: 42–53., , et al .
- 48Phase I safety, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of the thrombospondin-1-mimetic angiogenesis inhibitor ABT-510 in patients with advanced cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 5188–97., , et al .