These authors contributed equally to this work.
Inhibitory effects of epigallocatechin-3 gallate, a polyphenol in green tea, on tumor-associated endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 10, pages 1963–1970, October 2009
How to Cite
Ohga, N., Hida, K., Hida, Y., Muraki, C., Tsuchiya, K., Matsuda, K., Ohiro, Y., Totsuka, Y. and Shindoh, M. (2009), Inhibitory effects of epigallocatechin-3 gallate, a polyphenol in green tea, on tumor-associated endothelial cells and endothelial progenitor cells. Cancer Science, 100: 1963–1970. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01255.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2009
- (Received February 9, 2009/Revised May 29, 2009/Accepted June 8, 2009/Online publication July 24, 2009)
- 1Tea and cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 1038–49., .
- 2Inhibition of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine-induced esophageal tumorigenesis in rats by green and black tea. Carcinogenesis 1995; 16: 2143–8., , et al .
- 3Tea and tea polyphenols in cancer prevention. J Nutr 2000; 130: 472S–8S., , , , .
- 4Green tea: cancer preventive beverage and/or drug. Cancer Lett 2002; 188: 9–13., , ,
- 5Cancer chemoprevention by green tea components. Adv Exp Med Biol 1994; 354: 123–34., ,
- 6Green tea and skin – anticarcinogenic effects. J Invest Dermatol 1994; 102: 3–7., ,
- 7Why drinking green tea could prevent cancer. Nature 1997; 387: 561., , ,
- 8Antiangiogenic mechanisms of diet-derived polyphenols. J Nutr Biochem 2002; 13: 380–90., ,
- 9The tumour microenvironment as a target for chemoprevention. Nat Rev Cancer 2007; 7: 139–47., .
- 10Antiangiogenic therapy: a universal chemosensitization strategy for cancer? Science 2006; 312: 1171–5..
- 11The role of vascular endothelial growth factor in angiogenesis. Acta Haematol 2001; 106: 148–56., .
- 12Role of vascular endothelial growth factor in regulation of physiological angiogenesis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2001; 280: C1358–66.
- 13Mechanisms of inhibition of tumor angiogenesis and vascular tumor growth by epigallocatechin-3-gallate. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 4865–73., , et al .
- 14Tea catechins inhibit angiogenesis in vitro, measured by human endothelial cell growth, migration and tube formation, through inhibition of VEGF receptor binding. Cancer Lett 2002; 180: 139–44., , , ,
- 15Green tea catechins inhibit vascular endothelial growth factor receptor phosphorylation. Cancer Res 2002; 62: 381–5., ,
- 16Green tea catechins and vitamin E inhibit angiogenesis of human microvascular endothelial cells through suppression of IL-8 production. Nutr Cancer 2001; 41: 119–25.,
- 17Tumor angiogenesis: therapeutic implications. N Engl J Med 1971; 285: 1182–6.
- 18Molecular characterization of the tumor microenvironment in breast cancer. Cancer Cell 2004; 6: 17–32., , et al .
- 19Imaging of angiogenesis: from microscope to clinic. Nat Med 2003; 9: 713–25., .
- 20Genes expressed in human tumor endothelium. Science 2000; 289: 1197–202., , et al .
- 21Abnormalities in pericytes on blood vessels and endothelial sprouts in tumors. Am J Pathol 2002; 160: 985–1000., , , , , .
- 22Altered angiogenesis and survival in human tumor-derived endothelial cells. Faseb J 2003; 17: 1159–61., , , ,
- 23Tumor-associated endothelial cells with cytogenetic abnormalities. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 8249–55., , et al .
- 24A new perspective on tumor endothelial cells: unexpected chromosome and centrosome abnormalities. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 2507–10.,
- 25Tumor endothelial cells express epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) but not ErbB3 and are responsive to EGF and to EGFR kinase inhibitors. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 2173–80., , ,
- 26Vascular and haematopoietic stem cells: novel targets for anti-angiogenesis therapy? Nat Rev Cancer 2002; 2: 826–35., , , ,
- 27Role of c-kit/Kit ligand signaling in regulating vasculogenesis. Thromb Haemost 2003; 90: 570–6., , ,
- 28The multifaceted circulating endothelial cell in cancer: towards marker and target identification. Nat Rev Cancer 2006; 6: 835–45., , , .
- 29Bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells are a major determinant of nascent tumor neovascularization. Genes Dev 2007; 21: 1546–58., , et al .
- 30Mechanisms underlying the impairment of ischemia-induced neovascularization in matrix metalloproteinase 2-deficient mice. Circ Res 2007; 100: 904–13., , et al .
- 31Isolation of mouse stromal cells associated with a human tumor using differential diphtheria toxin sensitivity. Am J Pathol 1999; 155: 723–9., , et al .
- 32Endothelial progenitor cells contribute to accelerated liver regeneration. J Pediatr Surg 2007; 42: 1190–8., , et al .
- 33NSAIDs inhibit αVβ3 integrin-mediated and Cdc42/Rac-dependent endothelial-cell spreading, migration and angiogenesis. Nat Med 2001; 7: 1041–7., , ,
- 34Semaphorin 3F, a chemorepulsant for endothelial cells, induces a poorly vascularized, encapsulated, nonmetastatic tumor phenotype. J Clin Invest 2004; 114: 1260–71., , et al .
- 35Inhibition of tumor endothelial ERK activation, angiogenesis, and tumor growth by sorafenib (BAY43-9006). Am J Pathol 2006; 169: 1875–85., , , , , .
- 36Isolation of putative progenitor endothelial cells for angiogenesis. Science 1997; 275: 964–7., , et al .
- 37VEGF contributes to postnatal neovascularization by mobilizing bone marrow-derived endothelial progenitor cells. EMBO J 1999; 18: 3964–72., , et al .
- 38The origin and in vivo significance of murine and human culture-expanded endothelial progenitor cells. Am J Pathol 2006; 168: 1710–21., , et al .
- 39Age-related changes in bone morphology are accelerated in group VIA phospholipase A2 (iPLA2beta)-null mice. Am J Pathol 2008; 172: 868–81., , et al .
- 40The proangiogenic phenotype of human tumor-derived endothelial cells depends on thrombospondin-1 downregulation via phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway. J Mol Med 2006; 84: 852–63., , ,
- 41Green tea catechin, epigallocatechin-3-gallate, inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor angiogenic signaling by disrupting the formation of a receptor complex. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 1635–44., , , , ,
- 42Vascular endothelial growth factor regulates endothelial cell survival through the phosphatidylinositol 3′-kinase/Akt signal transduction pathway. Requirement for Flk-1/KDR activation. J Biol Chem 1998; 273: 30 336–43., , et al .
- 43Apoptosis of endothelial cells. Contribution to the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis? Eur Cytokine Netw 1998; 9: 697–8., , .
- 44Phosphorylation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase at ser-1177 is required for VEGF-induced endothelial cell migration. FEBS Lett 2000; 477: 258–62., , .
- 45Vascular endothelial growth factor-stimulated actin reorganization and migration of endothelial cells is regulated via the serine/threonine kinase Akt. Circ Res 2000; 86: 892–6., , et al .
- 46Understanding tumor endothelial cell abnormalities to develop ideal anti-angiogenic therapies. Cancer Sci 2008; 99: 459–66., ,
- 47Impaired recruitment of bone-marrow-derived endothelial and hematopoietic precursor cells blocks tumor angiogenesis and growth. Nat Med 2001; 7: 1194–201., , et al .
- 48Genetic heterogeneity of the vasculogenic phenotype parallels angiogenesis: Implications for cellular surrogate marker analysis of antiangiogenesis. Cancer Cell 2005; 7: 101–11., , et al .
- 49In vitro differentiation of endothelial cells from AC133-positive progenitor cells. Blood 2000; 95: 3106–12., , et al .
- 50Green tea polyphenol EGCG sensitizes human prostate carcinoma LNCaP cells to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis and synergistically inhibits biomarkers associated with angiogenesis and metastasis. Oncogene 2007; 27: 2055–63., , et al .