Promoter-wide analysis of Smad4 binding sites in human epithelial cells
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 11, pages 2133–2142, November 2009
How to Cite
Koinuma, D., Tsutsumi, S., Kamimura, N., Imamura, T., Aburatani, H. and Miyazono, K. (2009), Promoter-wide analysis of Smad4 binding sites in human epithelial cells. Cancer Science, 100: 2133–2142. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01299.x
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
- (Received May 14, 2009/Revised July 11, 2009/Accepted July 17, 2009)
- 1TGF-β signalling from cell membrane to nucleus through SMAD proteins. Nature 1997; 390: 465–71., , .
- 2Mechanisms of TGF-β signaling from cell membrane to the nucleus. Cell 2003; 113: 685–700., .
- 3Smad4 dependency defines two classes of transforming growth factor β (TGF-β) target genes and distinguishes TGF-β-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition from its antiproliferative and migratory responses. Mol Cell Biol 2005; 25: 8108–25., .
- 4TGF-β signaling in tumor suppression and cancer progression. Nat Genet 2001; 29: 117–29., , .
- 5Alterations in components of the TGF-β superfamily signaling pathways in human cancer. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 2006; 17: 41–58., .
- 6Hair follicle defects and squamous cell carcinoma formation in Smad4 conditional knockout mouse skin. Oncogene 2006; 25: 207–17., , , , , .
- 7Smad4 is dispensable for normal pancreas development yet critical in progression and tumor biology of pancreas cancer. Genes Dev 2006; 20: 3130–46., , et al.
- 8Targeted disruption of Smad4 in mouse epidermis results in failure of hair follicle cycling and formation of skin tumors. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 8671–8., , et al.
- 9Smad4 silencing in pancreatic cancer cell lines using stable RNA interference and gene expression profiles induced by transforming growth factor-β. Oncogene 2005; 24: 662–71., , et al.
- 10Chromatin immunoprecipitation on microarray analysis of Smad2/3 binding sites reveals roles of ETS1 and TFAP2A in transforming growth factor β signaling. Mol Cell Biol 2009; 29: 172–86., , et al.
- 11Normal keratinization in a spontaneously immortalized aneuploid human keratinocyte cell line. J Cell Biol 1988; 106: 761–71., , , , , .
- 12Transforming growth factor β effects on expression of G1 cyclins and cyclin-dependent protein kinases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1993; 90: 10315–9., .
- 13The ALK-5 inhibitor A-83-01 inhibits Smad signaling and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by transforming growth factor-β. Cancer Sci 2005; 96: 791–800., , et al.
- 14Transforming growth factor-β promotes survival of mammary carcinoma cells through induction of antiapoptotic transcription factor DEC1. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 9694–703., , et al.
- 15An integrated map of p53-binding sites and histone modification in the human ENCODE regions. Genomics 2007; 89: 178–88., , , , .
- 16Cohesin mediates transcriptional insulation by CCCTC-binding factor. Nature 2008; 451: 796–801., , et al.
- 17Model-based analysis of tiling-arrays for ChIP-chip. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 12457–62., , et al.
- 18CEAS: cis-regulatory element annotation system. Nucleic Acids Res 2006; 34: W551–4., , , , .
- 19WebLogo: a sequence logo generator. Genome Res 2004; 14: 1188–90., , , .
- 20Arkadia amplifies TGF-β superfamily signalling through degradation of Smad7. EMBO J 2003; 22: 6458–70., , et al.
- 21Two major Smad pathways in TGF-β superfamily signalling. Genes Cells 2002; 7: 1191–204., , , , .
- 22TGFβ-stimulated Smad1/5 phosphorylation requires the ALK5 L45 loop and mediates the pro-migratory TGFβ switch. EMBO J 2009; 28: 88–98., , , , , .
- 23Transforming growth factor β-induced Smad1/5 phosphorylation in epithelial cells is mediated by novel receptor complexes and is essential for anchorage-independent growth. Mol Cell Biol 2008; 28: 6889–902., , .
- 24Balancing the activation state of the endothelium via two distinct TGF-β type I receptors. EMBO J 2002; 21: 1743–53., , , , , .
- 25Smad3 and Smad4 cooperate with c-Jun/c-Fos to mediate TGF-β-induced transcription. Nature 1998; 394: 909–13., , .
- 26DPC4, a candidate tumor suppressor gene at human chromosome 18q21.1. Science 1996; 271: 350–3., , et al.
- 27Identification of BMP9 and BMP10 as functional activators of the orphan activin receptor-like kinase 1 (ALK1) in endothelial cells. Blood 2007; 109: 1953–61., , , , .
- 28Dorsomorphin inhibits BMP signals required for embryogenesis and iron metabolism. Nat Chem Biol 2008; 4: 33–41., , et al.
- 29IKKα is a critical coregulator of a Smad4-independent TGFβ-Smad2/3 signaling pathway that controls keratinocyte differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 2487–92., , et al.
- 30Keratinocyte-specific Smad2 ablation results in increased epithelial-mesenchymal transition during skin cancer formation and progression. J Clin Invest 2008; 118: 2722–32., , et al.
- 31Cdc6 requires anchorage for its expression. Oncogene 2002; 21: 1777–84., , , .
- 32Oncogene ect2 is related to regulators of small GTP-binding proteins. Nature 1993; 362: 462–5., , , , .