Logical structures extracted from metastasis experiments
Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 11, pages 2006–2013, November 2009
How to Cite
Maru, Y. (2009), Logical structures extracted from metastasis experiments. Cancer Science, 100: 2006–2013. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01300.x
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 29 JUL 2009
- (Received June 30, 2009/Revised July 21, 2009/Accepted July 23, 2009)
- 1Cancer metastasis: experimental approaches, theoretical concepts, and impacts for treatment strategies. Adv Cancer Res 1985; 43: 1–73..
- 2Nm23 and breast cancer metastasis. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1993; 25: 175–87., , , , , .
- 3Evidence for a novel gene associated with low tumor metastatic potential. J Natl Cancer Inst 1988; 80: 200–4., , et al.
- 4A multigenic program mediating breast cancer metastasis to bone. Cancer Cell 2003; 3: 537–49., , et al.
- 5Tumour invasion and metastasis initiated by microRNA-10b in breast cancer. Nature 2007; 449: 682–8., , .
- 6Endogenous human microRNAs that suppress breast cancer metastasis. Nature 2008; 451: 147–52., , et al.
- 7Stem cells, acncer, and cancer stem cells. Nature 2001; 414: 105–11., , , .
- 8Generation of germline-competent induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature 2007; 448: 313–7., , .
- 9Seeding and propagation of untransformed mouse mammary cells in the lung. Science 2008; 321: 1841–4., , , , , .
- 10Gene expression profiling predicts clinical outcome of breast cancer. Nature 2002; 415: 530–6., , et al.
- 11The pivotal role of CXCL12 (SDF-1)/CXCR4 axis in bone metastasis. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2006; 25: 573–87., , .
- 12VEGFR1-positive haematopoietic bone marrow progenitors initiate the pre-metastatic niche. Nature 2005; 438: 820–7., , et al.
- 13Tumour-mediated upregulation of chemoattractants and recruitment of myeloid cells predetermines lung metastasis. Nat Cell Biol 2006; 8: 1369–75., , , .
- 14Tumor morphology and phenotypic evolution driven by selective pressure from the microenvironment. Cell 2006; 127: 905–15., , , .
- 15The S100A8-serum amyloid A3-TLR4 paracrine cascade establishes a pre-metastatic phase. Nat Cell Biol 2008; 10: 1349–55., , et al.
- 16Animal models of bone metastasis. Cancer 2003; 97: 748–57., , , , .
- 17Rat models of bone metastases. Clin Exp Metastasis 2005; 22: 605–14., , .
- 18Establishment of a novel species- and tissue-specific metastasis model of human prostate cancer in humanized non-obese diabetic/severe combined immunodeficient mice engrafted with human adult lung and bone. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 2177–82., , et al.
- 19Metastasis: guantitative analysis of distribution and fate of tumor embolilabeled with 125 I-5-iodo-2′-deoxyuridine. J Natl Cancer Inst 1970; 45: 773–82..
- 20MMP9 induction by vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 is involved in lung-specific metastasis. Cancer Cell 2002; 2: 289–300., , et al.
- 21Calcium-dependent and -independent interactions of the S100 protein family. Biochem J 2006; 396: 201–14., , .
- 22The endogenous Toll-like receptor 4 agonist S100A8/S100A9 (calprotectin) as innate amplifier of infection, autoimmunity, and cancer. J Leukoc Biol 2009; 86., , , , .
- 23Increased serum levels of MRP-8/14 in type 1 diabetes induce an increased expression of CD11b and an enhanced adhesion of circulating monocytes to fibronectin. Diabetes 2004; 53: 1979–86., , , , .
- 24The crystal structure of human MRP14 (S100A9), a Ca(2+)-dependent regulator protein in inflammatory process. J Mol Biol 2002; 316: 265–76., , et al.
- 25A null mutation in the inflammation-associated S100 protein S100A8 causes early resorption of the mouse embryo. J Immunol 1999; 163: 2209–16., , et al.
- 26S100A8 and S100A9 activate MAP kinase and NF-κB signaling pathways and trigger translocation of RAGE in human prostate cancer cells. Exp Cell Res 2006; 312: 184–97., , , , .
- 27The S100 family heterodimer, MRP-8/14, binds with high affinity to heparin and heparan sulfate glycosaminoglycans on endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 3658–65., , , .
- 28Mrp8 and Mrp14 are endogenous activators of Toll-like receptor 4, promoting lethal, endotoxin-induced shock. Nat Med 2007; 13: 1042–9., , et al.
- 29RAGE signaling sustains inflammation and promotes tumor development. J Exp Med 2008; 205: 275–85., , et al.
- 30Receptor for advanced glycation endproducts (RAGE) and the complications of diabetes. Ageing Res Rev 2002; 1: 1–15., , , .
- 31The arachidonic acid-binding protein S100A8/A9 promotes NADPH oxidase activation by interaction with p67phox and Rac-2. FASEB J 2005; 19: 467–9., , , , , .
- 32Critical role of extracellular heat shock cognate protein 70 in the myocardial inflammatory response and cardiac dysfunction after global ischemia-reperfusion. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2008; 294: H2805–13., , et al.
- 33Is cancer dangerous to the immune system? Semin Immunol 1996; 8: 271–80., .
- 34Active caspase-1 is a regulator of unconventional protein secretion. Cell 2008; 132: 818–31., , , .
- 35Lipopolysaccharide interaction with cell surface Toll-like receptor 4-MD-2: higher affinity than that with MD-2 or CD14. J Exp Med 2003; 198: 1035–42., , et al.
- 36Systems biology approaches identify ATF3 as a negative regulator of Toll-like receptor 4. Nature 2006; 441: 173–8., , et al.
- 37The regulation of ATF3 gene expression by mitogen-activated protein kinases. Biochem J 2007; 401: 559–67., , .
- 38TLRs and innate immunity. Blood 2009; 113: 1399–407..
- 39Novel mutations in TLR genes cause hyporesponsiveness to Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis infection. BMC Genet 2009; 10: 21., , et al.
- 40The receptor for advanced glycation end products impairs host defense in pneumococcal pneumonia. J Immunol 2009; 182: 4349–56., , et al.
- 41Role of the Toll-like receptor 4/NF-κB pathway in saturated fatty acid-induced inflammatory changes in the interaction between adipocytes and macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2007; 27: 84–91., , et al.
- 42Regulation of lung injury and repair by Toll-like receptors and hyaluronan. Nat Med 2005; 11: 1173–9., , et al.
- 43Carcinoma-produced factors activate myeloid cells through TLR2 to stimulate metastasis. Nature 2009; 457: 102–6., , et al.
- 44Cancers take their Toll – the function and regulation of Toll-like receptors in cancer cells. Oncogene 2008; 27: 225–33., , , , .
- 45Therapeutic targeting of innate immunity with Toll-like receptor agonists and antagonists. Nat Med 2007; 13: 552–9., , , .
- 46Chemokines in hematopoiesis. Curr Opin Hematol 2008; 15: 49–58..
- 47SDF-1α up-regulates interleukin-6 through CXCR4, PI3K/Akt, ERK, and NF-κB-dependent pathway in microglia. Eur J Pharmacol 2009; 613: 146–54., , et al.
- 48TNF-α mediates SDF-1α-induced NF-κ B activation and cytotoxic effects in primary astrocytes. J Clin Invest 2001; 108: 425–35., , , , .
- 49Proteasome inhibitors impair RANKL-induced NF-κB activity in osteoclast-like cells via disruption of p62, TRAF6, CYLD, and IκBα signaling cascades. J Cell Physiol 2009; 220: 450–9., , et al.
- 50Increased RANKL expression is related to tumour migration and metastasis of renal cell carcinomas. J Pathol 2009; 218: 530–539., , et al.
- 51TGFβ primes breast tumors for lung metastasis seeding through angiopoietin-like 4. Cell 2008; 133: 66–77., , et al.
- 52Parathyroid hormone-related protein and bone metastases. Cancer 1997; 80: 1572–80..
- 53TGFβ in Cancer. Cell 2008; 134: 215–30..
- 54Regulation of cancer cell migration and bone metastasis by RANKL. Nature 2006; 440: 692–6., , et al.
- 55Dissemination and growth of cancer cells in metastatic sites. Nat Rev Cancer 2002; 2: 563–72., , .
- 56Bevacizumab in combination with oxaliplatin-based chemotherapy as first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: a randomized phase III study. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 2013–9., , et al.
- 57Deletion of vascular endothelial growth factor in myeloid cells accelerates tumorigenesis. Nature 2008; 456: 814–8., , et al.
- 58Stromal fibroblasts present in invasive human breast carcinomas promote tumor growth and angiogenesis through elevated SDF-1/CXCL12 secretion. Cell 2005; 121: 335–48., , et al.
- 59Stromal cell-derived factor 1 promotes angiogenesis via a heme oxygenase 1-dependent mechanism. J Exp Med 2007; 204: 605–18., , et al.
- 60Bv8 regulates myeloid-cell-dependent tumor angiogenesis. Nature 2007; 450: 825–31., , et al.
- 61Inhibition of bone and muscle metastases of lung cancer cells by a decrease in the number of monocytes/macrophages. Cancer Sci 2008; 99: 1595–602., , et al.
- 62Bone marrow cells in the ‘pre-metastatic niche’: within bone and beyond. Cancer Metastasis Rev 2006; 25: 521–9., , .
- 63Differential roles of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-1 and receptor-2 in angiogenesis. J Biochem Mol Biol 2006; 39: 469–78..
- 64VEGFR-1 (FLT-1) activation modulates acute lymphoblastic leukemia localization and survival within the bone marrow, determining the onset of extramedullary disease. Blood 2006; 107: 1608–16., , , , , .
- 65Flt-1, a receptor for vascular endothelial growth factor, has transforming and morphogenic potentials. Oncogene 1998; 16: 2585–95., , .
- 66Ligand-independent activation of VEGF receptor 1 by low density lipoprotein. EMBO Rep 2007; 8: 1155–61., , , .
- 67Cancer-related inflammation. Nature 2008; 454: 436–44., , , .
- 68Toll-like receptors on hematopoietic progenitor cells stimulate innate immune system replenishment. Immunity 2006; 24: 801–12., , et al.
- 69Macrophages define the invasive microenvironment in breast cancer. J Leukoc Biol 2008; 84: 623–30..
- 70Homeostatic MyD88-dependent signals cause lethal inflammation in the absence of A20. J Exp Med 2008; 205: 451–64., , et al.
- 71Antagonism of CXCR3 inhibits lung metastasis in a murine model of metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 7701–7., , , et al.
- 72Which came first, tumor cells or macrophages? Cell Adh Migr 2007; 1: 107–9..