Cancer/testis (CT) antigens: Potential targets for immunotherapy
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 11, pages 2014–2021, November 2009
How to Cite
Caballero, O. L. and Chen, Y.-T. (2009), Cancer/testis (CT) antigens: Potential targets for immunotherapy. Cancer Science, 100: 2014–2021. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01303.x
- Issue online: 11 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2009
- (Received July 05, 2009/Revised July 26, 2009/Accepted July 26, 2009)
- 1A gene encoding an antigen recognized by cytolytic T lymphocytes on a human melanoma. Science 1991; 254: 1643–7., , et al.
- 2BAGE: a new gene encoding an antigen recognized on human melanomas by cytolytic T lymphocytes. Immunity 1995; 2: 167–75., , et al.
- 3A new family of genes coding for an antigen recognized by autologous cytolytic T lymphocytes on a human melanoma. J Exp Med 1995; 182: 689–98., , , , , .
- 4Human gene MAGE-3 codes for an antigen recognized on a melanoma by autologous cytolytic T lymphocytes. J Exp Med 1994; 179: 921–30., , et al.
- 5Tumor antigens recognized by T cells. Immunol Today 1997; 18: 267–8., , .
- 6Serological identification of human tumor antigens. Curr Opin Immunol 1997; 9: 709–16., , .
- 7Human neoplasms elicit multiple specific immune responses in the autologous host. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1995; 92: 11810–3., , et al.
- 8Identification of cancer antigens in breast cancer by the SEREX expression cloning method. Breast Cancer 1999; 6: 305–11., , et al.
- 9A testicular antigen aberrantly expressed in human cancers detected by autologous antibody screening. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1997; 94: 1914–8., , et al.
- 10Immunomic analysis of human sarcoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 2651–6., , et al.
- 11Identification of multiple cancer/testis antigens by allogeneic antibody screening of a melanoma cell line library. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998; 95: 6919–23., , et al.
- 12Identification of a tissue-specific putative transcription factor in breast tissue by serological screening of a breast cancer library. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 2055–61., , et al.
- 13SEREX analysis of gastric cancer antigens. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2000; 46 (Suppl): S37–42., , et al.
- 14Antigens recognized by autologous antibody in patients with renal-cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 1999; 83: 456–64., , et al.
- 15New paths in human cancer serology. J Exp Med 1998; 187: 1163–7., .
- 16The SSX-2 gene, which is involved in the t(X;18) translocation of synovial sarcomas, codes for the human tumor antigen HOM-MEL-40. Cancer Res 1996; 56: 4766–72., , et al.
- 17Identification of a meiosis-specific protein as a member of the class of cancer/testis antigens. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998; 95: 5211–6., , , , , .
- 18Identification of proacrosin binding protein sp32 precursor as a human cancer/testis antigen. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001; 98: 3282–7., , et al.
- 19Identification of the gonad-specific anion transporter SLCO6A1 as a cancer/testis (CT) antigen expressed in human lung cancer. Cancer Immun 2004; 4: 13., , et al.
- 20A novel diffuse large B-cell lymphoma-associated cancer testis antigen encoding a PAS domain protein. Br J Cancer 2004; 91: 141–9., , , , .
- 21Identification and characterization of a novel cancer/testis antigen gene CAGE-1. Biochim Biophys Acta 2003; 1625: 173–82., , et al.
- 22Identification of a new cancer/germline gene, KK-LC-1, encoding an antigen recognized by autologous CTL induced on human lung adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 4922–8., , et al.
- 23CT10: a new cancer-testis (CT) antigen homologous to CT7 and the MAGE family, identified by representational-difference analysis. Int J Cancer 2000; 85: 726–32., , et al.
- 24Identification of a new MAGE gene with tumor-specific expression by representational difference analysis. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 743–52., , et al.
- 25LAGE-1, a new gene with tumor specificity. Int J Cancer 1998; 76: 903–8., , et al.
- 26Identification on a human sarcoma of two new genes with tumor-specific expression. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 3848–55., , , , .
- 27Identification of cancer/testis-antigen genes by massively parallel signature sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2005; 102: 7940–5., , et al.
- 28Expression of cancer-testis antigens in lung cancer: definition of bromodomain testis-specific gene (BRDT) as a new CT gene, CT9. Cancer Lett 2000; 150: 155–64., , et al.
- 29Identification of CT46/HORMAD1, an immunogenic cancer/testis antigen encoding a putative meiosis-related protein. Cancer Immun 2005; 5: 9., , et al.
- 30Novel genes in the PAGE and GAGE family of tumor antigens found by homology walking in the dbEST database. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 1445–8., , , .
- 31Identification of XAGE-1 isoforms: predominant expression of XAGE-1b in testis and tumors. Cancer Immun 2007; 7: 5., , et al.
- 32PLAC1, a trophoblast-specific cell surface protein, is expressed in a range of human tumors and elicits spontaneous antibody responses. Cancer Immun 2007; 7: 18., , et al.
- 33Genome-wide analysis of cancer/testis gene expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 20422–7., , et al.
- 34CTdatabase: a knowledge-base of high-throughput and curated data on cancer-testis antigens. Nucleic Acids Res 2009; 37: D816–9., , et al.
- 35Cancer/testis antigens, gametogenesis and cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 615–25., , , , .
- 36The DNA sequence of the human X chromosome. Nature 2005; 434: 325–37., , et al.
- 37The mouse X chromosome is enriched for multicopy testis genes showing postmeiotic expression. Nat Genet 2008; 40: 794–9., , , , , .
- 38NY-ESO-1 and CTp11 expression may correlate with stage of progression in melanoma. J Surg Res 2001; 98: 76–80., , .
- 39Cancer-testis genes are coordinately expressed and are markers of poor outcome in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 8055–62., , et al.
- 40Frequency of NY-ESO-1 and LAGE-1 expression in bladder cancer and evidence of a new NY-ESO-1 T-cell epitope in a patient with bladder cancer. Cancer Immun 2003; 3: 19., , et al.
- 41Expression profile of cancer-testis genes in 121 human colorectal cancer tissue and adjacent normal tissue. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 1809–14., , et al.
- 42Monophasic and biphasic synovial sarcomas abundantly express cancer/testis antigen NY-ESO-1 but not MAGE-A1 or CT7. Int J Cancer 2001; 94: 252–6., , et al.
- 43The cancer-testis antigens CT7 (MAGE-C1) and MAGE-A3/6 are commonly expressed in multiple myeloma and correlate with plasma-cell proliferation. Blood 2005; 106: 167–74., , et al.
- 44Characterization and expression of CT45 in Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 4804–11., , et al.
- 45Ny-ESO-1 expression and immunogenicity associated with transitional cell carcinoma: correlation with tumor grade. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 4671–4., , et al.
- 46Expression of MAGE genes in primary and metastatic cutaneous melanoma. Int J Cancer 1995; 63: 375–80., , et al.
- 47Cancer/testis antigen CT45: analysis of mRNA and protein expression in human cancer. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 2893–8., , et al.
- 48Cancer/testis antigens can be immunological targets in clonogenic CD133(+) melanoma cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2009; 58: 1635–46., , et al.
- 49Treatment of metastatic melanoma with autologous CD4+ T cells against NY-ESO-1. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2698–703., , et al.
- 50DNA methylation is the primary silencing mechanism for a set of germ line- and tumor-specific genes with a CpG-rich promoter. Mol Cell Biol 1999; 19: 7327–35., , , , .
- 51Synergistic induction of NY-ESO-1 antigen expression by a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, valproic acid, with 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine in glioma cells. J Neurooncol 2009; 92: 15–22., , et al.
- 52Intratumor heterogeneity of cancer/testis antigens expression in human cutaneous melanoma is methylation-regulated and functionally reverted by 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 9167–71., , et al.
- 53Expression of the MAGE-1 tumor antigen is up-regulated by the demethylating agent 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 1766–71., , et al.
- 54Cancer/testis (CT) antigens – a new link between gametogenesis and cancer. Cancer Immun 2001; 1: 1..
- 55Melanoma antigen gene protein MAGE-11 regulates androgen receptor function by modulating the interdomain interaction. Mol Cell Biol 2005; 25: 1238–57., , .
- 56MAGE-A4 interacts with the liver oncoprotein gankyrin and suppresses its tumorigenic activity. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 10668–74., , et al.
- 57Melanoma antigen A4 is expressed in non-small cell lung cancers and promotes apoptosis. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 4693–700., , , , .
- 58MAGE-A tumor antigens target p53 transactivation function through histone deacetylase recruitment and confer resistance to chemotherapeutic agents. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 11160–5., , et al.
- 59MAGE-A, mMage-b, and MAGE-C proteins form complexes with KAP1 and suppress p53-dependent apoptosis in MAGE-positive cell lines. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 9954–62., , et al.
- 60Fibroblast growth factor 2 and estrogen control the balance of histone 3 modifications targeting MAGE-A3 in pituitary neoplasia. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 1984–96., , .
- 61A member of the GAGE family of tumor antigens is an anti-apoptotic gene that confers resistance to Fas/CD95/APO-1, Interferon-gamma, taxol and gamma-irradiation. Cancer Biol Ther 2002; 1: 380–7., , , .
- 62Overexpression of MAGE/GAGE genes in paclitaxel/doxorubicin-resistant human cancer cell lines. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 2778–85., , et al.
- 63Physical interaction of two cancer-testis antigens, MAGE-C1 (CT7) and NY-ESO-1 (CT6). Cancer Immun 2006; 6: 12., , et al.
- 64Human synaptonemal complex protein 1 (SCP1): isolation and characterization of the cDNA and chromosomal localization of the gene. Genomics 1997; 39: 377–84., , , , .
- 65Characterization of a novel meiosis-specific protein within the central element of the synaptonemal complex. J Cell Sci 2006; 119: 4025–32., , , , , .
- 66Association between fertilin beta, protamines 1 and 2 and spermatid-specific linker histone H1-like protein mRNA levels, fertilization ability of human spermatozoa, and quality of preimplantation embryos. Folia Histochem Cytobiol 2007; 45 (Suppl 1): S79–85., , , , .
- 67Sperm protamine 1/protamine 2 ratios are related to in vitro fertilization pregnancy rates and predictive of fertilization ability. Fertil Steril 2006; 86: 1408–15., , et al.
- 68Semenogelin I: a coagulum forming, multifunctional seminal vesicle protein. Cell Mol Life Sci 1999; 55: 944–60., .
- 69Identification of novel semenogelin I-derived antimicrobial peptide from liquefied human seminal plasma. Peptides 2008; 29: 505–11., , , , .
- 70Cytolytic T-cell response to the PASD1 cancer testis antigen in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Br J Haematol 2009; 146: 396–407., , et al.
- 71Identification of new cytotoxic T-lymphocyte epitopes from cancer testis antigen HCA587. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2008; 372: 331–5., , et al.
- 72Cellular immune responses against the cancer-testis antigen SPAN-XB in healthy donors and patients with multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma 2008; 49: 779–85., , , , .
- 73Humoral immune responses of cancer patients against “Cancer-Testis” antigen NY-ESO-1: correlation with clinical events. Int J Cancer 1999; 84: 506–10., , et al.
- 74Booster vaccination of cancer patients with MAGE-A3 protein reveals long-term immunological memory or tolerance depending on priming. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 1650–5., , et al.
- 75Prospective study on the expression of cancer testis genes and antibody responses in 100 consecutive patients with primary breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 696–703., , et al.
- 76Tumor-specific antigens in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma: expression and sero-reactivity. Int J Cancer 2003; 104: 482–7., , , .
- 77Recombinant vaccinia/fowlpox NY-ESO-1 vaccines induce both humoral and cellular NY-ESO-1-specific immune responses in cancer patients. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 14453–8., , et al.
- 78Tumor regressions observed in patients with metastatic melanoma treated with an antigenic peptide encoded by gene MAGE-3 and presented by HLA-A1. Int J Cancer 1999; 80: 219–30., , et al.
- 79Clinical Response to the MAGE-A3 Immunotherapeutic in Metastatic Melanoma Patients is associated with a Specific Gene Profile Present Prior to Treatment. XVIth meeting in the Cancer Research Institute International Cancer Immunotherapy Symposium Series and the 2008 Meeting of the Cancer Vaccine Consortium. New York City, 2008; S25., , , .
- 80Recombinant NY-ESO-1 protein with ISCOMATRIX adjuvant induces broad integrated antibody and CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cell responses in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004; 101: 10697–702., , et al.
- 81Regulatory T-cell-mediated attenuation of T-cell responses to the NY-ESO-1 ISCOMATRIX vaccine in patients with advanced malignant melanoma. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 2166–73., , et al.
- 82Preclinical safety pharmacology study of a novel protein-based cancer vaccine CHP-NY-ESO-1. Kobe J Med Sci 2008; 54: E23–34., , et al.
- 83Vaccination with NY-ESO-1 protein and CpG in Montanide induces integrated antibody/Th1 responses and CD8 T cells through cross-priming. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 8947–52., , et al.
- 84Vaccination with an NY-ESO-1 peptide of HLA class I/II specificities induces integrated humoral and T cell responses in ovarian cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 12837–42., , et al.
- 85NY-ESO-1 DNA vaccine induces T-cell responses that are suppressed by regulatory T cells. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 2130–9., , et al.
- 86In vivo antigen delivery by a Salmonella typhimurium type III secretion system for therapeutic cancer vaccines. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 1946–54., , et al.
- 87CTLA-4 blockade enhances polyfunctional NY-ESO-1 specific T cell responses in metastatic melanoma patients with clinical benefit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008; 105: 20410–5., , et al.
- 88The clinical significance of MAGEA3 expression in pancreatic cancer. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2269–75., , et al.
- 89Frequent expression of the novel cancer testis antigen MAGE-C2/CT-10 in hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2009; 124: 352–7., , et al.
- 90Longitudinal analysis and prognostic effect of cancer-testis antigen expression in multiple myeloma. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 1343–52., , et al.
- 91Functional regulatory T cells are collected in stem cell autografts by mobilization with high-dose cyclophosphamide and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor. J Immunol 2006; 176: 6631–9., , et al.
- 92Expression of cancer/testis (CT) antigens MAGE-A1, MAGE-A3, MAGE-A4, CT-7, and NY-ESO-1 in malignant gammopathies is heterogeneous and correlates with site, stage and risk status of disease. Cancer Immun 2003; 3: 9., , et al.
- 93Expression of the MAGE-A4 and NY-ESO-1 cancer-testis antigens in serous ovarian neoplasms. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 6453–60., , , , , .
- 94Expression of the cancer/testis antigen NY-ESO-1 in primary and metastatic malignant melanoma (MM) – correlation with prognostic factors. Cancer Immun 2007; 7: 11., , et al.