p53 expression in tumor stromal fibroblasts is associated with the outcome of patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast
Article first published online: 6 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 11, pages 2101–2108, November 2009
How to Cite
Hasebe, T., Okada, N., Tamura, N., Houjoh, T., Akashi-Tanaka, S., Tsuda, H., Shibata, T., Sasajima, Y., Iwasaki, M. and Kinoshita, T. (2009), p53 expression in tumor stromal fibroblasts is associated with the outcome of patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Cancer Science, 100: 2101–2108. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01307.x
- Issue published online: 11 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 6 AUG 2009
- (Received May 07, 2009/Revised July 06, 2009/Accepted July 29, 2009)
- 1Stromal gene expression predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer. Nat Med 2008; 14: 518–27., , et al.
- 2Differential gene expression profile in breast cancer-derived stromal fibroblasts. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2008; 110: 273–81., , et al.
- 3Signal pathway profiling of epithelial and stromal compartments of colonic carcinoma reveals epithelial–mesenchymal transition. Oncogene 2008; 27: 323–31., , et al.
- 4CD151 dyanmicx in carcinoma–stroma interaction: integrin expression, adhesion strength and proteolytic activity. Lab Invest 2007; 87: 882–92., , et al.
- 5Prognostic impact of syndecan-1 expression in invasive ductal carcinomas. Br J Cancer 2008; 98: 1993–8., , et al.
- 6Fibroblasts isolated from common sites of breast cancer metastasis enhance cancer cell growth rates and invasiveness in an interleukin-6-dependent manner. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 9087–95., , et al.
- 7Fibrotic focus in infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast: a significant histopathological prognostic parameter for predicting the long-term survival of the patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998; 49: 195–208., , et al.
- 8Prognostic significance of fibrotic focus in invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast: a prospective observational study. Mod Pathol 2002; 15: 502–16., , et al.
- 9Intratumoral hypoxia resulting in the presence of a fibrotic focus is an independent predictor of early distant relapse in lymph node-negative breast cancer patients. Histopathology 2001; 39: 416–25., , et al.
- 10Multivariate prognostic evaluation of the mitotic activity index and fibrotic focus in node-negative invasive breast cancers. Eur J Cancer 2005; 41: 2093–101., , et al.
- 11Significance of basic fibroblast growth factor and fibroblast growth factor receptor protein expression in the formation of fibrotic focus in invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Jpn J Cancer Res 1997; 88: 877–85., , et al.
- 12Proliferative activity of intratumoral fibroblasts is closely correlated with lymph node and distant organ metastases of invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Am J Pathol 2000; 156: 1701–10., , et al.
- 13Highly proliferative fibroblasts forming fibrotic focus govern metastasis of invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Mod Pathol 2001; 14: 325–37., , et al.
- 14p53 and human cancer: the first ten thousand mutations. Adv Cancer Res 2000; 77: 81–137., .
- 15p53 mutations in human cancers. Science 1991; 253: 49–53., , et al.
- 16Cell-cycle check-points and cancer. Nature 2004; 432: 316–23., .
- 17Frequent somatic mutations in PTEN and TP53 are mutually exclusive in the stroma of breast carcinoma. Nat Genet 2002; 32: 355–7., , et al.
- 18Selective evolution of stromal mesenchyme with p53 loss in response to epithelial tumorigenesis. Cell 2006; 123: 1001–11., , et al.
- 19Under pressure: stromal fibroblasts change their ways. Cell 2005; 123: 985–7., .
- 20Concurrent and independent genetic alterations in the stromal and epithelial cells of mammary carcinoma: implication for tumorigenesis. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 2562–6., , et al.
- 21Breast-cancer stromal cells with TP53 mutations and nodal metastases. New Engl J Med 2007; 357: 2543–51., , et al.
- 22TNM Classification of Malignant Tumors, 6th edn. Geneva: Wiley-Liss, 2002., , eds.
- 23Histological grading and prognosis in breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1957; 11: 359–77., .
- 24Tumor necrosis is a prognostic predictor for early recurrence and death in lymph node-positive breast cancer: a 10-year follow-up study of 728 eastern cooperative oncology group patients. J Clin Oncol 1993; 11: 1929–35., , et al.
- 25A proposal for a new histological classification scheme for predicting short-term tumor recurrence and death in patients with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast. Jpn J Cancer Res 1998; 89: 1358–73., , et al.
- 26Prognostic and predictive factors in breast cancer by immunohistochemical analysis. Mod Pathol 1998; 11: 155–68., , et al.
- 27Estrogen receptor status by immunohistochemistry is superior to the ligand-binding assay for predicting response to adjuvant endocrine therapy in breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 1474–81., , et al.
- 28Progesterone receptor by immunohistochemistry and clinical outcome in breast cancer: a validation study. Mod Pathol 2004; 17: 1545–54., , et al.
- 29Estrogen- and progesterone-receptor status in ECOG2197: comparison of immunohistochemistry by local and central laboratories and quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction by central laboratory. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 2473–81., , et al.
- 30Association of p53 protein expression with tumor cell proliferation rate and clinical outcome in node-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993; 85: 200–6., , et al.
- 31American Scociety of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 testing in breast cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2007; 131: 18–43., , et al.
- 32Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 1958; 53: 457–81., .
- 33Evidence for nonautonomous effect of p53 tumor suppressor in carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 1627–30., , et al.
- 34Molecular characterization of the tumor microenviroment in breast cancer. Cancer Cell 2004; 6: 17–32., , et al.
- 35Induction of epithelial to mesenchymal transition in PMC42-LA human breast carcinoma cells by carcinoma-associated fibroblast secreted factors. Breast Cancer Res 2007; 9: R19., , et al.
- 36Breast-cancer stromal cells with TP53 mutations. New Engl J Med 2008; 10: 1634–5., , et al.
- 37Histopathologic factors significantly associated with initial organ-specific metastasis by invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast: a prospective study. Hum Pathol 2008; 39: 681–93., , et al.