Trends in cancer incidence and mortality in Osaka, Japan: Evaluation of cancer control activities
Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 12, pages 2390–2395, December 2009
How to Cite
Ito, Y., Ioka, A., Tanaka, M., Nakayama, T. and Tsukuma, H. (2009), Trends in cancer incidence and mortality in Osaka, Japan: Evaluation of cancer control activities. Cancer Science, 100: 2390–2395. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01311.x
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 AUG 2009
- (Received June 11, 2009/Revised August 04, 2009/Accepted August 06, 2009/Online publication September 8, 2009)
- 1Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Stat Med 2000; 19: 335–51., , , .
- 2National Cancer Institute. Joinpoint Regression Program Ver. 3.3 (Website on the internet). [Cited 12 June 2009.] Available from URL: http://srab.cancer.gov/joinpoint/.
- 3Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin 2007; 57: 43–66., , , , , .
- 4Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin 2008; 58: 71–96., , et al.
- 5Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. The national health and nutrition survey in Japan. [Cited 1 June 2009.] Available from URL: http://www.nih.go.jp/eiken/chosa/kokumin_eiyou/index.html [in Japanese].
- 6Reduced incidence of Helicobacter pylori infection in young Japanese persons between the 1970s and the 1990s. J Clin Gastroenterol 1997; 25: 583–6., , et al.
- 7Trends in the incidence of gastric cancer in Japan and their associations with Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric mucosal atrophy. Gastric Cancer 2004; 7: 233–9., , et al.
- 8Cancer survival trends in Osaka, Japan: the influence of age and stage at diagnosis. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2007; 37: 452–8., , , , , .
- 9Declining incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in Osaka, Japan, from 1990 to 2003. Ann Intern Med 2008; 148: 820–6., , et al.
- 10Plasma isoflavone level and subsequent risk of breast cancer among Japanese women: a nested case–control study from the Japan Public Health Center-based prospective study group. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 1677–83., , et al.
- 11Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study G. Role and impact of menstrual and reproductive factors on breast cancer risk in Japan. Eur J Cancer Prev 2007; 16: 116–23., , , , ,
- 12Tobacco smoking and breast cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic review of epidemiological evidence among the Japanese population. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2006; 36: 387–94., , et al.
- 13Impact of menstrual and reproductive factors on breast cancer risk in Japan: results of the JACC study. Cancer Sci 2005; 96: 57–62., , et al.
- 14Japan Public Health Center-Based Prospective Study on Cancer Cardiovascular Diseases G. Soy, isoflavones, and breast cancer risk in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 906–13., , , , ,
- 15Initiation of population-based mammography screening in Dutch municipalities and effect on breast-cancer mortality: a systematic review. Lancet 2003; 361: 1411–7., , et al.
- 16The impact of organized mammography service screening on breast carcinoma mortality in seven Swedish counties. Cancer 2002; 95: 458–69., , et al.
- 17Effect of NHS breast screening programme on mortality from breast cancer in England and Wales, 1990–8: comparison of observed with predicted mortality. BMJ 2000; 321: 665–9., , , , .
- 18Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Comprehensive Survey of Living Conditions of the People on Health and Welfare (H.19). Tokyo: Center for Cancer Control and Information Services, National Cancer Center, 2009 [in Japanese].
- 19Finnish Cancer Registry, Institute for Statistical and Epidemilogical Cancer Research. Statistics of mass screening activities. [Cited 28 July 2009.] Available from URL: http://www.cancerregistry.fi/eng/statistics/AID264.html.
- 20NHS Cancer Screening Programmes. NHS Breast Screening Programme 2008 Review. [Cited 28 July 2009.] Available from URL: http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/breastscreen/publications/2008review.html.
- 21National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) 2008. [Cited 1 June 2009.] Available from URL: http://www.cdc.gov/BRFSS/.
- 22Mortality trend of mouth and pharynx, esophagus, stomach, larynx and lung cancer in Japan by birth cohort. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2004; 34: 432–4., .
- 23Projection of lung cancer mortality in Japan. Cancer Sci 2003; 94: 919–23., , et al.
- 24Trends in smoking by birth cohorts born between 1900 and 1977 in Japan. Prev Med 2006; 42: 120–7., , et al.
- 25Recent trends of cancer in Europe: a combined approach of incidence, survival and mortality for 17 cancer sites since the 1990s. Eur J Cancer 2008; 44: 1345–89., , , , , .
- 26Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2005, featuring trends in lung cancer, tobacco use, and tobacco control. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008; 100: 1672–94., , et al.
- 27Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Comprehensive Survey of Living Conditions of the People on Health and Welfare (H.16). Tokyo: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2004 [in Japanese].
- 28How much can current interventions reduce colorectal cancer mortality in the US? Mortality projections for scenarios of risk-factor modification, screening, and treatment. Cancer 2006; 107: 1624–33., , et al.
- 29Trends in uterine cancer incidence in Japan 1975–98. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2003; 33: 645–6., , , .
- 30Mortality results from a randomized prostate-cancer screening trial. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1310–9., , et al.
- 31Screening and prostate-cancer mortality in a randomized european study. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1320–8., , et al.
- 32Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Vital statistics of Japan. [Cited 9 Apr 2009.] Available from URL: http://ganjoho.ncc.go.jp/professional/statistics/odjrh3000000hwsa-att/cancer_mortality(1958-2006).xls [in Japanese].
- 33Regional differences in population-based cancer survival between six prefectures in Japan: application of relative survival models with funnel plots. Cancer Sci 2009; 100: 1306–11., , et al.
- 34Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. I to VIII. Lyon, 2005., , , .
- 35Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. IX. Lyon: IARC, 2007., , et al. , eds.