Present address: Biotechnology Institute, Ankara University, Ankara 06500, Turkey.
15-Lipoxygenase-1 expression suppresses the invasive properties of colorectal carcinoma cell lines HCT-116 and HT-29
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 12, pages 2283–2291, December 2009
How to Cite
Çimen, I., Tunçay, S. and Banerjee, S. (2009), 15-Lipoxygenase-1 expression suppresses the invasive properties of colorectal carcinoma cell lines HCT-116 and HT-29. Cancer Science, 100: 2283–2291. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01313.x
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2009
- (Received April 24, 2009/Revised July 24, 2009/Accepted August 7, 2009/Online publication September 23, 2009)
- 1Colon cancer: prevention, diagnosis, treatment. Gastroenterol Nurs 2002; 25: 204–11; quiz, 11-2., , .
- 2Eicosanoids in tumor progression and metastasis. Subcell Biochem 2008; 49: 145–68., .
- 3Arachidonic acid and colorectal carcinogenesis. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 253: 141–9., , , , .
- 4The role of cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase in cancer chemoprevention. Drug Metabol Drug Interact 2000; 17: 109–57., .
- 5What are cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases doing in the driver’s seat of carcinogenesis? Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 2247–54., , , .
- 6Lipoxygenase modulation to reverse carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 6307–12., .
- 7Oxidized LDL regulates macrophage gene expression through ligand activation of PPARgamma. Cell 1998; 93: 229–40., , , , .
- 8Oxidative metabolism of linoleic acid modulates PPAR-beta/delta suppression of PPAR-gamma activity. Oncogene 2006; 25: 1225–41., , et al.
- 9Overexpression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in PC-3 human prostate cancer cells increases tumorigenesis. Carcinogenesis 2001; 22: 1765–73., , , , , .
- 1015-lipoxygenase-1 overexpression in prostate adenocarcinoma. Adv Exp Med Biol 2002; 507: 133–45., , , .
- 11DNA methylation paradigm shift: 15-lipoxygenase-1 upregulation in prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia and prostate cancer by atypical promoter hypermethylation. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 2007; 82: 185–97., , et al.
- 12Opposing effects of 15-lipoxygenase-1 and -2 metabolites on MAPK signaling in prostate. Alteration in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 40549–56., , .
- 1315-lipoxygenase-1 metabolites down-regulate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma via the MAPK signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 34545–52., , , .
- 1415-LOX-1 inhibits p21 (Cip/WAF 1) expression by enhancing MEK-ERK 1/2 signaling in colon carcinoma cells. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 2004; 73: 111–22., , .
- 15Expression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in human colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 360–6., , , , .
- 16Decreased 13-S-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid levels and 15-lipoxygenase-1 expression in human colon cancers. Carcinogenesis 1999; 20: 1985–95., , et al.
- 17Reversal of expression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 to cyclooxygenase-2 is associated with development of colonic cancer. Histopathology 2007; 51: 520–7., , , , , .
- 18Transcriptional regulation of 15-lipoxygenase expression by promoter methylation. Exp Cell Res 2004; 297: 61–7., , , , , .
- 1915-LOX-1 transcription suppression through the NuRD complex in colon cancer cells. Oncogene 2009; 28: 1496–505., , , .
- 20The transcription factor GATA-6 is overexpressed in vivo and contributes to silencing 15-LOX-1 in vitro in human colon cancer. FASEB J 2007; 21: 743–53., , et al.
- 2115-Lipoxygenase-1 has anti-tumorigenic effects in colorectal cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2004; 70: 7–15., , , , .
- 22Overexpression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 induces growth arrest through phosphorylation of p53 in human colorectal cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res 2005; 3: 511–7., , , , .
- 23The critical role of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colorectal epithelial cell terminal differentiation and tumorigenesis. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 11486–92., , et al.
- 24Therapeutic molecular targeting of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colon cancer. Mol Ther 2008; 16: 886–92., , et al.
- 2515-lipoxygenase-1 activates tumor suppressor p53 independent of enzymatic activity. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 2741–9., , et al.
- 2615-Lipoxygenase-1 mediates nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced apoptosis independently of cyclooxygenase-2 in colon cancer cells. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 6846–50., , et al.
- 27Expression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 is regulated by histone acetylation in human colorectal carcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2001; 22: 187–91., , , , , .
- 2815-lipoxygenase-1 production is lost in pancreatic cancer and overexpression of the gene inhibits tumor cell growth. Neoplasia 2007; 9: 917–26., , et al.
- 29Attenuation of diet-induced atherosclerosis in rabbits with a highly selective 15-lipoxygenase inhibitor lacking significant antioxidant properties. Br J Pharmacol 1997; 120: 1199–206., , et al.
- 30The hallmarks of cancer. Cell 2000; 100: 57–70., .
- 31IAPs: more than just inhibitors of apoptosis proteins. Cell Cycle 2008; 7: 1036–46., , .
- 32The histone deacetylase inhibitor suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid induces apoptosis via induction of 15-lipoxygenase-1 in colorectal cancer cells. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 8778–81., , , , .
- 33Polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolizing 15-Lipoxygenase-1 (15-LO-1) expression in normal and tumorigenic human bladder tissues. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2008; 16: 159–64., , , , .
- 34The 15-lipoxygenase-1 product 13-S-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid down-regulates PPAR-delta to induce apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 9968–73., , et al.
- 35Microenvironmental regulation of metastasis. Nat Rev Cancer 2009; 9: 239–52., .
- 36Gefitinib decreases the synthesis of matrix metalloproteinase and the adhesion to extracellular matrix proteins of colon cancer cells. Anticancer Res 2006; 26: 129–34., , et al.
- 37Galectin-9 suppresses tumor metastasis by blocking adhesion to endothelium and extracellular matrices. Glycobiology 2008; 18: 735–44., , et al.
- 38Suppression of invasive properties of colorectal carcinoma SW480 cells by 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase gene. Cancer Invest 2008; 26: 905–12., , et al.
- 39Transcriptional repression of oestrogen receptor by metastasis-associated protein 1 corepressor. Nat Cell Biol 2001; 3: 30–7., , et al.
- 40MTA1-mediated transcriptional repression of BRCA1 tumor suppressor gene. Oncogene 2008; 27: 1971–80., , , .
- 41Tumor metastasis-associated human MTA1 gene and its MTA1 protein product: role in epithelial cancer cell invasion, proliferation and nuclear regulation. Clin Exp Metastasis 2003; 20: 19–24., , , , , .
- 42Expression analysis of a subset of coregulators and three nuclear receptors in human colorectal carcinoma. Anticancer Res 2005; 25: 4287–92., .
- 43Metastasis-associated protein (MTA)1 enhances migration, invasion, and anchorage-independent survival of immortalized human keratinocytes. Oncogene 2002; 21: 2161–70., , et al.