Synergistic antiproliferative effect of mTOR inhibitors in combination with 5-fluorouracil in scirrhous gastric cancer
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 12, pages 2402–2410, December 2009
How to Cite
Matsuzaki, T., Yashiro, M., Kaizaki, R., Yasuda, K., Doi, Y., Sawada, T., Ohira, M. and Hirakawa, K. (2009), Synergistic antiproliferative effect of mTOR inhibitors in combination with 5-fluorouracil in scirrhous gastric cancer. Cancer Science, 100: 2402–2410. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01315.x
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2009
- (Received May 1, 2009/Revised August 6, 2009/Accepted August 9, 2009/Online publication September 17, 2009)
- 1Cancer statistics, 2004. CA Cancer J Clin 2004; 54: 8–29., , et al.
- 2Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005; 55: 74–108., , , .
- 3Gemcitabine (GEM) plus oxaliplatin, folinic acid, and 5-fluorouracil (FOLFOX-4) in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2005; 56: 563–8., , et al.
- 4Phase II study of irinotecan plus leucovorin and bolus 5-fluorouracil as first- or second-line chemotherapy in patients with advanced gastric or esophageal-gastric junction adenocarcinoma. J Chemother 2007; 19: 724–30., , et al.
- 5Chemotherapy for metastatic gastric cancer: past, present, and future. J Gastroenterol 2008; 43: 256–64..
- 6Weekly paclitaxel as second-line chemotherapy for advanced or recurrent gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2006; 9: 14–8., , , , , .
- 7Phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase dependent pathways: the role in control of cell growth, survival, and malignant transformation. Biochemistry (Mosc) 2000; 65: 59–67..
- 8Sustained activation of the JNK cascade and rapamycin-induced apoptosis are suppressed by p53/p21(Cip1). Mol Cell 2003; 11: 1491–501., , et al.
- 9Targeting mammalian target of rapamycin synergistically enhances chemotherapy-induced cytotoxicity in breast cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 7031–42., , et al.
- 10Possible involvement of persistent activity of the mammalian target of rapamycin pathway in the cisplatin resistance of AFP-producing gastric cancer cells. Cancer Biol Ther 2007; 6: 1036–43., , , , .
- 11mTOR inhibition sensitizes gastric cancer to alkylating chemotherapy in vivo. Anticancer Res 2008; 28: 3801–8., , et al.
- 12Establishment of two new scirrhous gastric cancer cell lines: analysis of factors associated with disseminated metastasis. Br J Cancer 1995; 72: 1200–10., , , , .
- 13Novel models for human scirrhous gastric carcinoma in vivo. Cancer Sci 2004; 95: 893–900., , , , .
- 14Combination chemotherapy in vitro with cis-dichlorodiammineplatinum(II). Cancer Treat Rep 1976; 60: 1619–25., , .
- 15Histone deacetylase inhibitor, trichostatin A, increases the chemosensitivity of anticancer drugs in gastric cancer cell lines. Oncol Rep 2006; 16: 563–8., , , .
- 16A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2001; 29: e45..
- 17Outcome of surgical treatment for patients with scirrhous carcinoma of the stomach. Am J Surg 2004; 188: 327–32., , et al.
- 18Adjuvant chemotherapy for gastric cancer with S-1, an oral fluoropyrimidine. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 1810–20., , et al.
- 19RAD001 inhibits human ovarian cancer cell proliferation, enhances cisplatin-induced apoptosis, and prolongs survival in an ovarian cancer model. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 4261–70., , et al.
- 205-Fluorouracil (5-FU) induced apoptosis in gastric cancer cell lines: role of the p53 gene. Apoptosis 1997; 2: 221–6., , , , , .
- 212-Methoxyestradiol-induced caspase-3 activation and apoptosis occurs through G(2)/M arrest dependent and independent pathways in gastric carcinoma cells. Cancer 2001; 92: 500–9., , , .
- 22p53/p21(CIP1) cooperate in enforcing rapamycin-induced G(1) arrest and determine the cellular response to rapamycin. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 3373–81., , , , , .
- 23Rapamycin disrupts cyclin/cyclin-dependent kinase/p21/proliferating cell nuclear antigen complexes and cyclin D1 reverses rapamycin action by stabilizing these complexes. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 1070–80., , et al.
- 24Clinical pharmacokinetics of 5-fluorouracil and its metabolites in plasma, urine, and bile. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 2203–6., , , , .
- 25Improving the anti-tumor activity of 5-fluorouracil by increasing its incorporation into RNA via metabolic modulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1980; 77: 4966–70., , , , , .
- 26Phase II study of a fixed dose-rate infusion of gemcitabine associated with uracil/tegafur in advanced carcinoma of the pancreas. Ann Oncol 2002; 13: 1756–62., , et al.