Human leukocyte antigen class I down-regulation in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: Its association with clinical characteristics and survival after cystectomy
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 12, pages 2331–2334, December 2009
How to Cite
Homma, I., Kitamura, H., Torigoe, T., Tanaka, T., Sato, E., Hirohashi, Y., Masumori, N., Sato, N. and Tsukamoto, T. (2009), Human leukocyte antigen class I down-regulation in muscle-invasive bladder cancer: Its association with clinical characteristics and survival after cystectomy. Cancer Science, 100: 2331–2334. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01329.x
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
- (Received June 14, 2009/Revised August 13, 2009/Accepted August 16, 2009/Online publication September 14, 2009)
- 1Radical cystectomy in the treatment of invasive bladder cancer: long-term results in 1,054 patients. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 666–75., , et al.
- 2MHC class I down-regulation: tumour escape from immune surveillance? Int J Oncol 2004; 25: 487–91..
- 3Natural selection of tumor variants in the generation of ‘tumor escape’ phenotypes. Nat Immunol 2002; 3: 999–1005., .
- 4Down-regulation of HLA class I antigen-processing molecules in malignant melanoma: association with disease progression. Am J Pathol 1999; 154: 745–54., , , , .
- 5Immunosurveillance is active in colorectal cancer as downregulation but not complete loss of MHC class I expression correlates with a poor prognosis. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 6–10., , et al.
- 6HLA class I antigen expression is associated with a favorable prognosis in early stage non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Sci 2007; 98: 1424–30., , et al.
- 7HLA class I antigen down-regulation in primary ovary carcinoma lesions: association with disease stage. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 67–72., , et al.
- 8Molecular pathological approaches to human tumor immunology. Pathol Int 2009; 59: 205–17., , et al.
- 9Effect of human leukocyte antigen class I expression of tumor cells on outcome of intravesical instillation of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin immunotherapy for bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 4641–4., , et al.
- 10Prognostic significance of HLA class I expression in osteosarcoma defined by anti-pan HLA class I monoclonal antibody, EMR8-5. Cancer Sci 2006; 97: 1374–80., , et al.
- 11Management of invasive bladder neoplasms. Semin Urol 1983; 1: 34–41..
- 12TNM Classification of Malignant tumors, 5th edn. New York: Wiley-Liss Inc, 1997., .
- 13Histological typing of urinary bladder tumours, 2nd edn. New York: Springer, 1999., , .
- 14Expression and antigenicity of survivin, an inhibitor of apoptosis family member, in bladder cancer: implications for specific immunotherapy. Urology 2006; 67: 955–9., , et al.
- 15Monoclonal antibodies raised against denatured HLA-B locus heavy chains permit biochemical characterization of certain HLA-C locus products. J Immuol 1986; 137: 2299–306., , .
- 16HLA antigens and transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Urol Int 1990; 45: 75–7., .
- 17Expression of class I histocompatibility antigens in transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder in relation to survival. Cancer 1991; 68: 2591–4., , , , , .
- 18Expression of markers for transitional cell carcinoma in normal bladder mucosa of patients with bladder cancer. J Urol 1995; 154: 2185–9., , , .
- 19TAP1 down-regulation in primary melanoma lesions: an independent marker of poor prognosis. Int J Cancer 2001; 95: 23–8., , et al.
- 20High frequency of melanoma-associated antigen or HLA class I loss does not correlate with survival in primary melanoma. J Immunother 2004; 27: 73–8., , , , , .
- 21Total loss of MHC class I is an independent indicator of good prognosis in breast cancer. Int J Cancer 2005; 117: 248–55., , , , .
- 22Is downregulation of MHC class I antigen expression in human non-small cell lung cancer associated with prolonged survival? Cancer Immunol Immunother 2005; 55: 891–9., , et al.
- 23Immunologic and therapeutic evaluation of a synthetic peptide vaccine for the treatment of patients with metastatic melanoma. Nat Med 1998; 4: 321–7., , et al.
- 24A new era for cancer immunotherapy based on the genes that encode cancer antigens. Immunity 1999; 10: 281–7..