Distinctive cell properties of B cells carrying the BCL2 translocation and their potential roles in the development of lymphoma of germinal center type
Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 100, Issue 12, pages 2361–2367, December 2009
How to Cite
Sakai, T., Nishikori, M., Tashima, M., Yamamoto, R., Kitawaki, T., Takaori-Kondo, A., Suzuki, T., Tsuzuki, S. and Uchiyama, T. (2009), Distinctive cell properties of B cells carrying the BCL2 translocation and their potential roles in the development of lymphoma of germinal center type. Cancer Science, 100: 2361–2367. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01344.x
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2009
- Version of Record online: 2 SEP 2009
- (Received July 25, 2009/Revised August 26, 2009/Accepted August 28, 2009/Online publication September 24, 2009)
- 1The t(14;18) defines a unique subset of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma with a germinal center B-cell gene expression profile. Blood 2002; 99: 2285–90., , et al.
- 2BCL2 translocation defines a unique tumor subset within the germinal center B-cell-like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Am J Pathol 2004; 165: 159–66., , et al.
- 3Frequency of the Bcl-2/IgH rearrangement in normal individuals: implications for the monitoring of disease in patients with follicular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 420–4., , , , , .
- 4Low frequency of BCL-2/JH translocation in peripheral blood lymphocytes of healthy Japanese individuals. Blood 2001; 98: 486–8., , et al.
- 5Progression from lymphoid hyperplasia to high-grade malignant lymphoma in mice transgenic for the t(14; 18). Nature 1991; 349: 254–6., .
- 6Eμ-bcl-2 transgene facilitates spontaneous transformation of early pre-B and immunoglobulin-secreting cells but not T cells. Oncogene 1993; 8: 1–9., , .
- 7Mechanism of the t(14;18) chromosomal translocation: structural analysis of both derivative 14 and 18 reciprocal partners. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1987; 84: 2396–400., , et al.
- 8Enforced BCL2 expression in B-lymphoid cells prolongs antibody responses and elicits autoimmune disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1991; 88: 8661–5., , et al.
- 9‘Green mice’ as a source of ubiquitous green cells. FEBS Lett 1997; 407: 313–9., , , , .
- 10Restriction of transgene expression to the B-lymphoid progeny of human lentivirally transduced CD34+ cells. Mol Ther 2004; 10: 45–56., , , , .
- 11Development of an enhanced B-specific lentiviral vector expressing BTK: a tool for gene therapy of XLA. Gene Ther 2008; 15: 942–52., , et al.
- 12Isoform-specific potentiation of stem and progenitor cell engraftment by AML1/RUNX1. PLoS Med 2007; 4: e172., , , , , .
- 13FDC-specific functions of p55TNFR and IKK2 in the development of FDC networks and of antibody responses. Immunity 2006; 24: 65–77., , et al.
- 14Rapid methods for the analysis of immunoglobulin gene hypermutation: application to transgenic and gene targeted mice. Nucleic Acids Res 1997; 25: 1913–9., , .
- 15Cross talk between cell death and cell cycle progression: BCL-2 regulates NFAT-mediated activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1996; 93: 9545–52., , , .
- 16The anti-apoptosis function of Bcl-2 can be genetically separated from its inhibitory effect on cell cycle entry. EMBO J 1997; 16: 4628–38., , , .
- 17Bcl-xL/Bcl-2 coordinately regulates apoptosis, cell cycle arrest and cell cycle entry. EMBO J 2003; 22: 5459–70., , et al.
- 18Conversion of Bcl-2 from protector to killer by interaction with nuclear orphan receptor Nur77/TR3. Cell 2004; 116: 527–40., , et al.
- 19Deregulated Bcl-2-immunoglobulin transgene expands a resting but responsive immunoglobulin M and D-expressing B-cell population. Mol Cell Biol 1990; 10: 1901–7., , et al.
- 20Transgenic models of lymphoid neoplasia and development of a pan-hematopoietic vector. Oncogene 1999; 18: 5268–77., , , , .
- 21Follicular shuttling of marginal zone B cells facilitates antigen transport. Nat Immun 2008; 9: 54–62., , , , .
- 22Calcium signalling in lymphocyte activation and disease. Nat Rev 2007; 7: 690–702..
- 23Lymphocyte calcium signaling from membrane to nucleus. Nat Immun 2006; 7: 25–32., , .
- 24Suppression of signalling through transcription factor NF-AT by interactions between calcineurin and Bcl-2. Nature 1997; 386: 728–31., , , .
- 25Mechanisms of B-cell lymphoma pathogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 251–62..
- 26Genetic and epigenetic factors involved in B-cell lymphomagenesis. Cancer Sci 2004; 95: 704–10..
- 27Selective expansion of marginal zone B cells in Eμ-API2-MALT1 mice is linked to enhanced IκB kinase γ polyubiquitination. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 5270–7., , et al.
- 28bcl-2 transgene expression inhibits apoptosis in the germinal center and reveals differences in the selection of memory B cells and bone marrow antibody-forming cells. J Exp Med 2000; 191: 475–84., , , , , .
- 29High affinity germinal center B cells are actively selected into the plasma cell compartment. J Exp Med 2006; 203: 2419–24., , et al.
- 30Antigen recognition strength regulates the choice between extrafollicular plasma cell and germinal center B cell differentiation. J Exp Med 2006; 203: 1081–91., , , , , .
- 31Follicular lymphoma-like B cells in healthy individuals: a novel intermediate step in early lymphomagenesis. J Exp Med 2006; 203: 2425–31., , et al.
- 32Sμ mutation patterns suggest different progression pathways in follicular lymphoma: early direct or late from FL progenitor cells. Blood 2008; 112: 1951–9., , et al.
- 33Novel primitive lymphoid tumours induced in transgenic mice by cooperation between myc and bcl-2. Nature 1990; 348: 331–3., , , .
- 34Moloney murine leukemia virus infection accelerates lymphomagenesis in Eμ-bcl-2 transgenic mice. Oncogene 1995; 11: 1729–36., , et al.
- 35VavP-Bcl2 transgenic mice develop follicular lymphoma preceded by germinal center hyperplasia. Blood 2004; 103: 2276–83., , , , .
- 36Prediction of survival in follicular lymphoma based on molecular features of tumor-infiltrating immune cells. N Eng J Med 2004; 351: 2159–69., , et al.