Fresh and pickled vegetable consumption and gastric cancer in Japanese and Korean populations: A meta-analysis of observational studies
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 508–516, February 2010
How to Cite
Kim, H. J., Lim, S. Y., Lee, J.-S., Park, S., Shin, A., Choi, B. Y., Shimazu, T., Inoue, M., Tsugane, S. and Kim, J. (2010), Fresh and pickled vegetable consumption and gastric cancer in Japanese and Korean populations: A meta-analysis of observational studies. Cancer Science, 101: 508–516. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01374.x
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2009
- (Received May 21, 2009/Revised September 17, 2009/Accepted September 23, 2009/Online publication October 27, 2009)
- 1A case-cohort study of diet and stomach cancer. Cancer Res 1990; 50: 7501–4., , , .
- 2A case–control study of gastric cancer and diet in Italy: II. Association with nutrients. Int J Cancer 1990; 45: 896–901., , et al.
- 3Case–control study on stomach cancer in Germany. Int J Cancer 1991; 47: 858–64., , et al.
- 4Gastric cancer. Cancer Surv 1994; 20: 55–76., .
- 5Nutrients and gastric cancer risk. A population-based case–control study in Sweden. Int J Cancer 1994; 57: 638–44., , et al.
- 6Dietary factors and gastric cancer in Korea: a case–control study. Int J Cancer 2002; 97: 531–5., , , , .
- 7Korea Ministry of Health and Welfare. The Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III), 2005. Kwacheon, Korea: Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2006.
- 8Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Summary of Results of the National Health and Nutrition Survey, 2004. Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, 2006.
- 9Agricultural Research Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Results from USDA’s 1994-96 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals and 1994-96 Diet and Health Knowledge Survey: Table Set 10. Beltsville, Maryland: U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1999.
- 10Consumption of vegetables, fruit and other plant foods in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) cohorts from 10 European countries. Public Health Nutr 2002; 5: 1179–96., , et al.
- 11International Agency for Research on Cancer. World Cancer Report. Lyon: IARC Press, 2003.
- 12International Agency for Research on Cancer. Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Volume VIII. Lyon: IARC Press, 2002.
- 13Risk factors for Helicobacter pylori infection among a rural population in Japan: relation to living environment and medical history. J Epidemiol 2003; 13: 266–73., , .
- 14Seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori in South Korea. Helicobacter 2007; 12: 333–40., , et al.
- 15Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables – the millennium’s health. Int J Food Sci Technol 2001; 36: 703–25., .
- 16World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, nutrition, physical activity, and the prevention of cancer: a global perspective. Washington, DC: American Institute for Cancer Research, 2007.
- 17Nutrition and gastric cancer risk: an update. Nutr Rev 2008; 66: 237–49., .
- 18Wikipedia. Pickling. [Cited 9 April 2009.] Available from URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_vegetables. San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 2009.
- 19Korean traditional foods and their anticancer effects. J Korean Soc People Plants Environ 2002; 5: 41–5..
- 20Antioxidant effect of Kimchi with various fermentation period on the lipid oxidation of cooked ground meat. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 1996; 25: 261–6., , .
- 21Effects of preparation procedures on ascorbic acid retention in pickled hot peppers. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2003; 54: 291–6., .
- 22A model for gastric cancer epidemiology. Lancet 1975; 2: 58–60., , , , .
- 23A prospective study of stomach cancer among a rural Japanese population: a 6-year survey. Jpn J Cancer Res 1992; 83: 568–75., , .
- 24Fruit and vegetables consumption and gastric cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies. Nutr Cancer 2005; 53: 1–10., , .
- 25Fruits, vegetables, and antioxidants and risk of gastric cancer among male smokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2005; 14: 2087–92., , et al.
- 26Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of stomach and oesophagus adenocarcinoma in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST). Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2559–66., , et al.
- 27A case–control study of stomach cancer and its relation to diet, cigarettes, and alcohol consumption in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. Cancer Causes Control 1992; 3: 441–8., .
- 28Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 1986; 7: 177–88., .
- 29Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 2003; 327: 557–60., , , .
- 30Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias. Biometrics 1994; 50: 1088–101., .
- 31A prospective study of atrophic gastritis and stomach cancer risk. Jpn J Cancer Res 1992; 83: 1137–42., , et al.
- 32Protective factor against progression from atrophic gastritis to gastric cancer--data from a cohort study in Japan. Int J Cancer 1996; 66: 309–14., , et al.
- 33A case–control study of gastric cancer and diet in northern Kyushu, Japan. Jpn J Cancer Res 1988; 79: 1067–74., , , .
- 34A comparative case–control analysis of stomach cancer and atrophic gastritis. Cancer Res 1990; 50: 6559–64., , et al.
- 35Life-style and subsite of gastric cancer--joint effect of smoking and drinking habits. Int J Cancer 1994; 56: 494–9., , , , , .
- 36Dietary factors and stomach cancer: a case–control study in Korea. Int J Epidemiol 1995; 24: 33–41., , , .
- 37Effect of life styles on the risk of subsite-specific gastric cancer in those with and without family history. J Epidemiol 1999; 9: 40–5., , et al.
- 38Comparison of lifestyle and risk factors among Japanese with and without gastric cancer family history. Int J Cancer 2000; 86: 421–4., , et al.
- 39Dietary habit and Helicobacter pylori infection in early gastric cancer patient. Cancer Res Treat 2002; 34: 104–10., , , , , .
- 40Effect of diet and Helicobacter pylori infection to the risk of early gastric cancer. J Epidemiol 2003; 13: 162–8., , , , , .
- 41Dietary factors and the risk of gastric cancer among Japanese women: a comparison between the differentiated and non-differentiated subtypes. Ann Epidemiol 2003; 13: 24–31., , et al.
- 42Kimchi and soybean pastes are risk factors of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11: 3175–81., , et al.
- 43A cohort study on the possible association between broiled fish intake and cancer. Gann 1983; 74: 640–8., , , , , .
- 44Association of diet and place of birth with stomach cancer incidence in Hawaii Japanese and Caucasians. Am J Clin Nutr 1981; 34: 2478–85., , , , .
- 45A prospective study of stomach cancer and its relation to diet, cigarettes, and alcohol consumption. Cancer Res 1990; 50: 627–31., , , .
- 46Intakes of selected foods and beverages and the incidence of gastric cancer among the Japanese residents of Hawaii: a prospective study. Int J Epidemiol 1998; 27: 173–80., , , .
- 47Prospective study of educational background and stomach cancer in Japan. Prev Med 2002; 35: 121–7., , , , , .
- 48Vegetables, fruit and risk of gastric cancer in Japan: a 10-year follow-up of the JPHC Study Cohort I. Int J Cancer 2002; 102: 39–44., , , , .
- 49Dietary factors and stomach cancer mortality. Br J Cancer 2002; 87: 37–42., , , , .
- 50Dietary habits and cancer mortality among middle aged and older Japanese living in hokkaido, Japan by cancer site and sex. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2004; 5: 58–65., , et al.
- 51Salt and salted food intake and subsequent risk of gastric cancer among middle-aged Japanese men and women. Br J Cancer 2004; 90: 128–34., , , .
- 52Lifestyle factors, radiation and gastric cancer in atomic-bomb survivors (Japan). Cancer Causes Control 2005; 16: 773–80., , , , , .
- 53Dietary habits and stomach cancer risk in the JACC Study. J Epidemiol 2005; 15 (Suppl 2): S98–108., , et al.
- 54Highly salted food and mountain herbs elevate the risk for stomach cancer death in a rural area of Japan. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 21: 1681–6., , , .
- 55Stomach cancer in Japan. J Natl Cancer Inst 1976; 56: 265–74., , , , .
- 56Dietary habits and gastro-intestinal cancers: a comparative case–control study of stomach and large intestinal cancers in Nagoya, Japan. Jpn J Cancer Res 1985; 76: 705–16., .
- 57Case–control studies of lung cancer and stomach cancer cases in mountain villages and farming-fishing villages. J Jpn assoc rural med 1992; 41: 92–102., , , .
- 58Lifestyle and gastric cancer: a case–control study. Oncol Rep 1998; 5: 1191–4., , , .
- 59Association of Helicobacter pylori infection and environmental factors in non-cardia gastric cancer in Japan. Gastric Cancer 2004; 7: 46–53., , et al.
- 60Salad and raw vegetable consumption and nutritional status in the adult US population: results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Am Diet Assoc 2006; 106: 1394–404., .
- 61Effects of vitamins C and E on N-nitroso compound formation, carcinogenesis, and cancer. Cancer 1986; 58: 1842–50..
- 62A human model of gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Res 1988; 48: 3554–60..
- 63Effects of carotenoids in cellular and animal systems. Am J Clin Nutr 1991; 53: 238S–46S..
- 64Ascorbic acid may protect against human gastric cancer by scavenging mucosal oxygen radicals. Carcinogenesis 1996; 17: 559–62., , et al.
- 65Effects of different cooking methods on nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of selected vegetables. J Agric Food Chem 2008; 56: 139–47., , , , .
- 66Wikipedia. Jangajji. [Cited 9 April 2009.] Available from URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jangajji. San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 2009.
- 67Cause and effect between concentration-dependent tissue damage and temporary cell proliferation in rat stomach mucosa by NaCl, a stomach tumor promoter. Carcinogenesis 1996; 17: 401–6., , .
- 68Effects in rats of sodium chloride on experimental gastric cancers induced by N-methyl-N-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine or 4-nitroquinoline-1-oxide. J Natl Cancer Inst 1975; 55: 101–6., , , , .
- 69High-salt diet induces gastric epithelial hyperplasia and parietal cell loss, and enhances Helicobacter pylori colonization in C57BL/6 mice. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 4823–8., , , , , .
- 70Gastric juice nitrite and vitamin C in patients with gastric cancer and atrophic gastritis: is low acidity solely responsible for cancer risk? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003; 15: 987–93., , et al.
- 71Urinary salt excretion and stomach cancer mortality among four Japanese populations. Cancer Causes Control 1991; 2: 165–8., , et al.
- 72Salt, salted food intake, and risk of gastric cancer: epidemiologic evidence. Cancer Sci 2005; 96: 1–6..
- 73Methods for Meta-analysis in Medical Research. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 2002., , , , .
- 74Bias in meta-analytic research. J Clin Epidemiol 1992; 45: 885–92..