Steroid and xenobiotic receptor in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: A potent prognostic factor
Article first published online: 3 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 543–549, February 2010
How to Cite
Takeyama, D., Miki, Y., Fujishima, F., Suzuki, T., Akahira, J.-i., Hata, S., Miyata, G., Satomi, S. and Sasano, H. (2010), Steroid and xenobiotic receptor in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: A potent prognostic factor. Cancer Science, 101: 543–549. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01380.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 3 OCT 2009
- (Received August 17, 2009/Revised September 17, 2009/Accepted September 23, 2009/Online publication October 26, 2009)
- 1SXR, a novel steroid and xenobiotic-sensing nuclear receptor. Genes Dev 1998; 12: 3195–205., , et al.
- 2An orphan nuclear receptor activated by pregnanes defines a novel steroid signaling pathway. Cell 1998; 92: 73–82., , et al.
- 3Orphan nuclear receptors constitutive androstane receptor and pregnane X receptor share xenobiotic and steroid ligands. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 15122–7., , et al.
- 4The nuclear pregnane X receptor: a key regulator of xenobiotic metabolism. Endocr Rev 2002; 23: 687–702., , .
- 5Structure and function of the human nuclear xenobiotic receptor PXR. Curr Drug Metab 2005; 6: 357–67., .
- 6Identification of a human nuclear receptor defines a new signaling pathway for CYP3A induction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998; 95: 12208–13., , et al.
- 7Nuclear receptor response elements mediate induction of intestinal MDR1 by rifampin. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 14581–7., , .
- 8The orphan nuclear receptor SXR coordinately regulates drug metabolism and efflux. Nat Med 2001; 7: 584–90., , .
- 9Cytochrome P-450 3A4: regulation and role in drug metabolism. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1999; 39: 1–17..
- 10P-glycoprotein: from genomics to mechanism. Oncogene 2003; 22: 7468–85., , , .
- 11The human orphan receptor PXR messenger RNA is expressed in both normal and neoplastic breast tissue. Clin Cancer Res 1999; 5: 2103–7., , , .
- 12Expression of the steroid and xenobiotic receptor and its possible target gene, organic anion transporting polypeptide-A, in human breast carcinoma. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 535–42., , et al.
- 13Human pregnane X receptor is expressed in breast carcinomas, potential heterodimers formation between hPXR and RXR-alpha. BMC Cancer 2008; 8: 174., , et al.
- 14Expression and potential roles of pregnane X receptor in endometrial cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003; 88: 4446–54., , , .
- 15Human pregnane X receptor and resistance to chemotherapy in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 10361–7., , , , .
- 16Expanding the roles for pregnane X receptor in cancer: proliferation and drug resistance in ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 5332–40., , et al.
- 17Expression levels and activation of a PXR variant are directly related to drug resistance in osteosarcoma cell lines. Cancer 2007; 109: 957–65., , et al.
- 18Down-regulation of pregnane X receptor contributes to cell growth inhibition and apoptosis by anti-cancer agents in endometrial cancer cells. Mol Pharmacol 2007; 72: 1045–53., , , .
- 19The role of nuclear receptors in pharmacokinetic drug-drug interactions in oncology. Cancer Treat Rev 2007; 33: 369–80., , , .
- 20The antiapoptotic role of pregnane X receptor in human colon cancer cells. Mol Endocrinol 2008; 22: 868–80., , , .
- 21Orphan nuclear receptor pregnane X receptor sensitizes oxidative stress responses in transgenic mice and cancerous cells. Mol Endocrinol 2006; 20: 279–90., , et al.
- 22Activation of the steroid and xenobiotic receptor, SXR, induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer 2009; 9: 3., , .
- 23Mutual repression between steroid and xenobiotic receptor and NF-kappaB signaling pathways links xenobiotic metabolism and inflammation. J Clin Invest 2006; 116: 2280–9., , et al.
- 24Steroid and xenobiotic receptor (SXR), cytochrome P450 3A4 and multidrug resistance gene 1 in human adult and fetal tissues. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2005; 231: 75–85., , , , .
- 25Isoform-specific retinoid-X receptor (RXR) antibodies detect differential expression of RXR proteins in the pituitary gland. Endocrinology 1995; 136: 1766–74., , , , .
- 26A new immunohistochemical antibody for the assessment of estrogen receptor status on routine formalin-fixed tissue samples. Hum Pathol 1995; 26: 291–4., , et al.
- 27Prognostic significance of biologic factors in squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Cancer 1999; 86: 1396–405., , , , .
- 28Methodological challenges in the evaluation of prognostic factors in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998; 52: 289–303., .
- 29Estrogen sulfotransferase and steroid sulfatase in human breast carcinoma. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 2762–70., , et al.
- 30Molecular mechanism of nuclear translocation of an orphan nuclear receptor, SXR. Mol Pharmacol 2003; 63: 524–31., , , , , .
- 31Regulation of Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL anti-apoptotic protein expression by nuclear receptor PXR in primary cultures of human and rat hepatocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta 2005; 1745: 48–58., , et al.
- 32Interplay between the nuclear receptor pregnane X receptor and the uptake transporter organic anion transporter polypeptide 1A2 selectively enhances estrogen effects in breast cancer. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 9338–47., , , , .
- 33Tocotrienols activate the steroid and xenobiotic receptor, SXR, and selectively regulate expression of its target genes. Drug Metab Dispos 2004; 32: 1075–82., , , , .
- 34The pregnane X receptor regulates gene expression in a ligand- and promoter-selective fashion. Mol Endocrinol 2005; 19: 1170–80., , , , , .
- 35Orphan nuclear receptor binding site in the human inducible nitric oxide synthase promoter mediates responsiveness to steroid and xenobiotic ligands. J Cell Biochem 2002; 85: 72–82., , , .
- 36Frequent expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in esophageal squamous cell carcinomas. Int J Oncol 1999; 14: 1069–73., , et al.
- 37Association between inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and p53 status in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncology 2003; 64: 90–6., , , , , .
- 38P53 protein accumulation and p53 gene mutation in esophageal carcinoma. A molecular and immunohistochemical study with clinicopathologic correlations. Cancer 1997; 79: 425–32., , et al.
- 39The p53 pathway: positive and negative feedback loops. Oncogene 2005; 24: 2899–908., .
- 40Redox control of G(1)/S cell cycle regulators during nitric oxide-mediated cell cycle arrest. J Cell Physiol 2007; 212: 827–39., , .
- 41Nuclear factor-kappaB in cancer development and progression. Nature 2006; 441: 431–6..
- 42Minireview: nuclear receptors and breast cancer. Mol Endocrinol 2008; 22: 2215–28..
- 43Estrogen receptor beta functions through nongenomic mechanisms in lung cancer cells. Mol Endocrinol 2009; 23: 146–56., , et al.