Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in precancerous conditions and cancers
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 1, pages 36–45, January 2010
How to Cite
Kanai, Y. (2010), Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in precancerous conditions and cancers. Cancer Science, 101: 36–45. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01383.x
- Issue online: 9 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2009
- (Received August 15, 2009/Revised September 25, 2009/Accepted September 27, 2009/Online publication November 4, 2009)
- 1Epigenetic control. J Cell Physiol 2009; 219: 243–50., , .
- 2Biochemistry and biology of mammalian DNA methyltransferases. Cell Mol Life Sci 2004; 61: 2571–87., , .
- 3Cloning and sequencing of a cDNA encoding DNA methyltransferase of mouse cells. The carboxyl-terminal domain of the mammalian enzymes is related to bacterial restriction methyltransferases. J Mol Biol 1988; 203: 971–83., , , .
- 4Human DNA-(cytosine-5) methyltransferase-PCNA complex as a target for p21WAF1. Science 1997; 277: 1996–2000., , , , , .
- 5Tying it all together: epigenetics, genetics, cell cycle, and cancer. Science 1997; 277: 1948–9..
- 6The DNA methyltransferases of mammals. Hum Mol Genet 2000; 9: 2395–402..
- 7DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian development. Cell 1999; 99: 247–57., , , .
- 8Linking DNA methylation and histone modification: patterns and paradigms. Nat Rev Genet 2009; 10: 295–304., .
- 9Methylated DNA and MeCP2 recruit histone deacetylase to repress transcription. Nat Genet 1998; 19: 187–91., , et al.
- 10Transcriptional repression by the methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 involves a histone deacetylase complex. Nature 1998; 393: 386–9., , et al.
- 11Reduced mRNA expression of the DNA demethylase, MBD2, in human colorectal and stomach cancers. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1999; 264: 962–6., , , .
- 12Direct interaction between DNMT1 and G9a coordinates DNA and histone methylation during replication. Genes Dev 2006; 20: 3089–103., , et al.
- 13The DNA methyltransferases associate with HP1 and the SUV39H1 histone methyltransferase. Nucleic Acids Res 2003; 31: 2305–12., , , .
- 14DNA methylation landscapes: provocative insights from epigenomics. Nat Rev Genet 2008; 9: 465–76., .
- 15Suppression of intestinal neoplasia by DNA hypomethylation. Cell 1995; 81: 197–205., , et al.
- 16Chromosomal instability and tumors promoted by DNA hypomethylation. Science 2003; 300: 455., , , .
- 17Silencing of the E-cadherin invasion-suppressor gene by CpG methylation in human carcinomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995; 92: 7416–9., , , , , .
- 18The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancer. Nat Rev Genet 2002; 3: 415–28., .
- 19Epigenetic gene silencing in cancer – a mechanism for early oncogenic pathway addiction? Nat Rev Cancer 2006; 6: 107–16., .
- 20Epigenetic changes in cancer. Apmis 2007; 115: 1039–59., , .
- 21The epigenomics of cancer. Cell 2007; 128: 683–92., .
- 22Epigenetics in cancer. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 1148–59..
- 23Inferring human stem cell behaviour from epigenetic drift. J Pathol 2009; 217: 199–205..
- 24A stem cell-like chromatin pattern may predispose tumor suppressor genes to DNA hypermethylation and heritable silencing. Nat Genet 2007; 39: 237–42., , et al.
- 25DNA hypomethylation in the origin and pathogenesis of human diseases. Cell Mol Life Sci 2009; 66: 2249–61., .
- 26The power and the promise of DNA methylation markers. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 253–66..
- 27Targeting DNA methylation. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 3938–46., .
- 28Alterations of DNA methylation associated with abnormalities of DNA methyltransferases in human cancers during transition from a precancerous to a malignant state. Carcinogenesis 2007; 28: 2434–42., .
- 29Alterations of DNA methylation and clinicopathological diversity of human cancers. Pathol Int 2008; 58: 544–58..
- 30Allele loss on chromosome 16 associated with progression of human hepatocellular carcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1990; 87: 6791–4., , et al.
- 31Aberrant DNA methylation on chromosome 16 is an early event in hepatocarcinogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 1996; 87: 1210–7., , , , , .
- 32Aberrant DNA methylation precedes loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 16 in chronic hepatitis and liver cirrhosis. Cancer Lett 2000; 148: 73–80., , , , .
- 33Hepatocellular carcinoma. In: HamiltonSR, AltonenLA, eds. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics. Tumours of the digestive system. Lyon: IARC Press, 2000; 159–72., , et al.
- 34Cell adhesion system and human cancer morphogenesis. Cancer Sci 2003; 94: 575–81., .
- 35The E-cadherin gene is silenced by CpG methylation in human hepatocellular carcinomas. Int J Cancer 1997; 71: 355–9., , et al.
- 36Genetic instability and aberrant DNA methylation in chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis – a comprehensive study of loss of heterozygosity and microsatellite instability at 39 loci and DNA hypermethylation on 8 CpG islands in microdissected specimens from patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2000; 32: 970–9., , , , , .
- 37DNA methylation of multiple tumor-related genes in association with overexpression of DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) during multistage carcinogenesis of the pancreas. Carcinogenesis 2006; 27: 1160–8., , et al.
- 38Development and progression of urothelial carcinoma. Cancer Sci 2006; 97: 821–8..
- 39DNA hypermethylation on multiple CpG islands associated with increased DNA methyltransferase DNMT1 protein expression during multistage urothelial carcinogenesis. J Urol 2005; 173: 1767–71., , , , , .
- 40DNA hypermethylation at the D17S5 locus in non-small cell lung cancers: its association with smoking history. Cancer Res 1997; 57: 4913–5., , , .
- 41DNA hypermethylation at the D17S5 locus is associated with gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Lett 1998; 122: 135–41., , , , , .
- 42Interleukin 6 supports the maintenance of p53 tumor suppressor gene promoter methylation. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 4673–82., , et al.
- 43DNA hypermethylation at the D17S5 locus and reduced HIC-1 mRNA expression are associated with hepatocarcinogenesis. Hepatology 1999; 29: 703–9., , et al.
- 44Increased expression of DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) protein in uterine cervix squamous cell carcinoma and its precursor lesion. Cancer Lett 2007; 251: 211–9., , , , , .
- 45Viral oncoproteins target the DNA methyltransferases. Oncogene 2007; 26: 1650–5., , , , , .
- 46Mutation of the DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) 1 gene in human colorectal cancers. Cancer Lett 2003; 192: 75–82., , , , .
- 47Increased DNA methyltransferase expression is associated with an early stage of human hepatocarcinogenesis. Jpn J Cancer Res 1997; 88: 1165–70., , , , .
- 48Expression of mRNA for DNA methyltransferases and methyl-CpG-binding proteins and DNA methylation status on CpG islands and pericentromeric satellite regions during human hepatocarcinogenesis. Hepatology 2001; 33: 561–8., , , , , .
- 49Increased protein expression of DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) 1 is significantly correlated with the malignant potential and poor prognosis of human hepatocellular carcinomas. Int J Cancer 2003; 105: 527–32., , et al.
- 50Increased DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) protein expression in precancerous conditions and ductal carcinomas of the pancreas. Cancer Sci 2005; 96: 403–8., , et al.
- 51CpG island methylator phenotype in colorectal cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96: 8681–6., , , , , .
- 52CpG island methylator phenotype in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2004; 4: 988–93..
- 53Increased DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) protein expression correlates significantly with poorer tumor differentiation and frequent DNA hypermethylation of multiple CpG islands in gastric cancers. Am J Pathol 2004; 164: 689–99., , et al.
- 54DNA methyltransferase expression and DNA methylation of CPG islands and peri-centromeric satellite regions in human colorectal and stomach cancers. Int J Cancer 2001; 91: 205–12., , , , .
- 55Epigenetic field for cancerization. J Biochem Mol Biol 2007; 40: 142–50..
- 56Increased DNA methyltransferase 1 protein expression in human transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol 2003; 170: 2463–6., , , , , .
- 57Hypomethylation of chromosome 1 heterochromatin DNA correlates with q-arm copy gain in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Pathol 2001; 159: 465–71., , , , , .
- 58DNA hypomethylation on pericentromeric satellite regions significantly correlates with loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 9 in urothelial carcinomas. J Urol 2005; 173: 243–6., , , , , .
- 59The DNMT3B DNA methyltransferase gene is mutated in the ICF immunodeficiency syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999; 96: 14412–7., , et al.
- 60Overexpression of a splice variant of DNA methyltransferase 3b, DNMT3b4, associated with DNA hypomethylation on pericentromeric satellite regions during human hepatocarcinogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 10060–5., , , , , .
- 61DNA methyltransferase 3b contributes to oncogenic transformation induced by SV40T antigen and activated Ras. Oncogene 2003; 22: 4723–33., , .
- 62Alterations in gene expression associated with the overexpression of a splice variant of DNA methyltransferase 3b, DNMT3b4, during human hepatocarcinogenesis. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2004; 130: 636–44., , , .
- 63High-throughput methylation profiling by MCA coupled to CpG island microarray. Genome Res 2007; 17: 1529–36., , et al.
- 64The methylome: approaches for global DNA methylation profiling. Trends Genet 2008; 24: 231–7., .
- 65Genome-scale DNA methylation maps of pluripotent and differentiated cells. Nature 2008; 454: 766–70., , et al.
- 66Comparative genomic hybridization (CGH)-arrays pave the way for identification of novel cancer-related genes. Cancer Sci 2004; 95: 559–63., , .
- 67Methylation-associated silencing of the nuclear receptor 1I2 gene in advanced-type neuroblastomas, identified by bacterial artificial chromosome array-based methylated CpG island amplification. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 10233–42., , et al.
- 68Frequent methylation-associated silencing of a candidate tumor-suppressor, CRABP1, in esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma. Oncogene 2007; 26: 6456–68., , et al.
- 69Epigenetic silencing of prostaglandin E receptor 2 (PTGER2) is associated with progression of neuroblastomas. Oncogene 2007; 26: 7401–13., , et al.
- 70High levels of aberrant DNA methylation in Helicobacter pylori-infected gastric mucosae and its possible association with gastric cancer risk. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 989–95., , et al.
- 71Action at a distance: epigenetic silencing of large chromosomal regions in carcinogenesis. Hum Mol Genet 2007; 16 (Spec No 1): R88–95..
- 72Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in both precancerous conditions and clear cell renal cell carcinomas are correlated with malignant potential and patient outcome. Carcinogenesis 2009; 30: 214–21., , et al.
- 73Regional DNA hypermethylation and DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) 1 protein overexpression in both renal tumors and corresponding nontumorous renal tissues. Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 288–96., , , , , .
- 74Genetic clustering of clear cell renal cell carcinoma based on array-comparative genomic hybridization: its association with DNA methylation alteration and patient outcome. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 5531–9., , et al.
- 75Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in liver tissue at the precancerous stage and in hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2009; 125: 2854–62., , et al.
- 76Comparison of interferon and lamivudine treatment in Japanese patients with HBeAg positive chronic hepatitis B. J Med Virol 2007; 79: 1286–92., , et al.
- 77Benefit of interferon therapy in hepatocellular carcinoma prevention for individual patients with chronic hepatitis C. Gut 2004; 53: 425–30., , et al.
- 78Genome-wide DNA methylation profiles in urothelial carcinomas and urothelia at the precancerous stage. Cancer Sci 2009; doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01330.x., , et al.
- 79Genetics and epigenetics: stability and plasticity during cellular differentiation. Trends Genet 2009; 25: 129–36., .