Histone deacetylase inhibitor (SAHA) and repression of EZH2 synergistically inhibit proliferation of gallbladder carcinoma
Article first published online: 6 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 355–362, February 2010
How to Cite
Yamaguchi, J., Sasaki, M., Sato, Y., Itatsu, K., Harada, K., Zen, Y., Ikeda, H., Nimura, Y., Nagino, M. and Nakanuma, Y. (2010), Histone deacetylase inhibitor (SAHA) and repression of EZH2 synergistically inhibit proliferation of gallbladder carcinoma. Cancer Science, 101: 355–362. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01387.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 6 OCT 2009
- (Received June 10, 2009/Revised September 25, 2009/Accepted September 28, 2009/Online publication October 27, 2009)
- 1World Health Organization Classification of tumors, Pathology and Genetics, Tumor of the Digestive System; Carcinoma of the gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2000., , et al.
- 2Expression of MUC1 and MUC2 mucin core proteins and their messenger RNA in gall bladder carcinoma: an immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization study. J Pathol 1999; 188: 30–7., , , .
- 3Expression of MUC2, MUC5AC and MUC6 apomucins in carcinoma, dysplasia and non-dysplastic epithelia of the gallbladder. Pathol Int 1999; 49: 38–44., , , , .
- 4Histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor activation of p21 (WAF1) involves changes in promoter-associated proteins, including HDAC1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 1241–1246., , , , .
- 5Dimethyl sulfoxide to vorinostat: development of this histone deacetylase inhibitor as an anticancer drug. Nat Biotechnol 2007; 25: 84–90., .
- 6Over-expression of polycomb group protein EZH2 relates to decreased expression of p16 INK4a in cholangiocarcinogenesis in hepatolithiasis. J Pathol 2008; 215: 175–83., , , , .
- 7Stem cells and cancer; the polycomb connection. Cell 2004; 118: 409–18., , .
- 8Histone methyltransferase activity associated with a human multiprotein complex containing the Enhancer of Zeste protein. Genes Dev 2002; 16: 2893–2905., , , , .
- 9Transcriptional repression mediated by the human polycomb-group protein EED involves histone deacetylation. Nat Genet 1999; 23: 474–478., .
- 10EZH2 is downstream of the pRB-E2F pathway, essential for proliferation and amplified in cancer. EMBO J 2003; 22: 5323–5335., , , , , .
- 11The polycomb group protein enhancer of zeste homolog 2 (EZH2) is an oncogene that influences myeloma cell growth and the mutant ras phenotype. Oncogene 2005; 24: 6269–6280., .
- 12The polycomb group protein EZH2 is involved in progression of prostate cancer. Nature 2002; 419: 624–629., , et al.
- 13Multiplex biomarker approach for determining risk of prostate-specific antigen-defined recurrence of prostate cancer. J Natl Can Inst 2003; 95: 661–668., , , , .
- 14Expression of enhancer of zeste homologue 2 is significantly associated with increased tumor cell proliferation and is a marker of aggressive breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 1168–1174., , et al.
- 15EZH2 is a marker of aggressive breast cancer and promotes neoplastic transformation of breast epithelial cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100: 11606–11611., , et al.
- 16Histone acetyltransferases and deacetylases in the control of cell proliferation and differentiation. Advances in Cancer Research 2002; 86: 41–65., , .
- 17Histone deacetylation in epigenetics: an attractive target for anticancer therapy. Medic Res Rev 2005; 25: 261–309., , et al.
- 18Epigenetic and chromatin modifiers as targeted therapy of hematologic malignancies. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 3971–3993..
- 19Histone deacetylase inhibitors: molecular mechanisms of action. Oncogene 2007; 26: 5541–5552., , .
- 20Role of thioredoxin in the response of normal and transformed cells to histone deacetylase inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2005; 102: 673–678., , et al.
- 21Histone deacetylase inhibitors specifically kill nonproliferating tumour cells. Oncogene 2004; 23: 6693–6701., , et al.
- 22Promoter methylation profile in preneoplastic and neoplastic gallbladder lesion. Mol Carcinog 2009; 48: 79–89., , et al.
- 23Aberrant promoter hypermethylation of multiple genes in gallbladder carcinoma and chronic cholecystitis. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 6126–6133., , et al.
- 24Papillary hyperplasia of the gallbladder in pancreatobiliary maljunction represents a senescence-related lesion induced by lysolecithin. Lab Invest 2009; 89: 1018–1031., , et al.
- 25Effect of histone deacetylase inhibitor on proliferation of biliary tract cancer cell lines. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14: 2578–2581., , .
- 26Peptide antibiotic human beta-defensin-1 and -2 contribute to antimicrobial defense of the intrahepatic biliary tree. Hepatology 2004; 40: 925–932., , et al.
- 27pRB family proteins are required for H3K27 trimethylation and Polycomb repression complexes binding to and silencing p16INK4a tumor suppressor gene. Genes Dev 2007; 21: 49–54., , , , , .
- 28Repression of E-cadherin by the polycomb group protein EZH2 in cancer. Oncogene 2008; 27: 7274–7284., , et al.
- 29Epigenetics in human disease and prospects for epigenetic therapy. Nature 2004; 429: 457–463., , , .
- 30Polycomb silencers control cell fate, development and cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2006; 6: 846–856., .
- 31Regulation of chromatin structure by site-specific histone H3 methyltransferases. Nature 2000; 406: 593–599., , et al.
- 32Expression of class I histone deacetylases indicates poor prognosis in endometrioid subtypes of ovarian and endometrial carcinomas. Neoplasia 2008; 10: 1021–1027., , , , , .
- 33Class I histone deacetylase expression has independent prognostic impact in human colorectal cancer: specific role of class I histone deacetylases in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res 2008; 14: 1669–1677., , et al.
- 34Combination of proteasome and HDAC inhibitors for uterine cervical cancer treatment. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 570–577., , , , , .
- 35Enhancer of zeste homologue 2 (EZH2) down-regulates RUNX3 by increasing histone H3 methylation. J Biol Chem 2008; 283: 17324–17332., , , .
- 36The Polycomb group proteins bind throughout the INK4A-ARF locus and are disassociated in senescent cells. Genes Dev 2007; 21: 525–530., , et al.
- 37Histone deacetylase inhibitors deplete enhancer of zeste 2 and associated polycomb repressive complex 2 proteins in human acute leukemia cells. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 3096–3104., , et al.
- 38Pharmacologic disruption of polycomb-repressive complex 2-mediated gene repression selectively induces apoptosis in cancer cells. Genes Dev 2007; 21: 1050–1063., , et al.