Reduction of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase expression is an independent predictor of poor survival associated with enhanced cell proliferation in gastric adenocarcinoma
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 550–558, February 2010
How to Cite
Tatsuwaki, H., Tanigawa, T., Watanabe, T., Machida, H., Okazaki, H., Yamagami, H., Shiba, M., Watanabe, K., Tominaga, K., Fujiwara, Y., Oshitani, N., Muguruma, K., Sawada, T., Hirakawa, K., Higuchi, K. and Arakawa, T. (2010), Reduction of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase expression is an independent predictor of poor survival associated with enhanced cell proliferation in gastric adenocarcinoma. Cancer Science, 101: 550–558. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01390.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2009
- (Received June 22, 2009/Revised September 24, 2009/Accepted September 27, 2009/Online publication November 16, 2009)
- 1Prostanoid receptors: structures, properties, and functions. Physiol Rev 1999; 79: 1193–226., , .
- 2Prostaglandins and cancer. Gut 2006; 55: 115–22., .
- 3The role of COX-2 in intestinal cancer. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1999; 889: 72–83., , .
- 4Use of aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of esophageal and gastric cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1998; 7: 97–102., , et al.
- 5Aspirin and the risk of colorectal cancer in women. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 609–14., , et al.
- 6Colorectal cancer and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Adv Pharmacol 1997; 39: 1–20., .
- 7Aspirin, NSAIDs, and digestive tract cancers. Cancer Metastasis Rev 1994; 13: 269–77..
- 815-Hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase. J Lipid Mediat Cell Signal 1995; 12: 313–9., .
- 915-Hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase is down-regulated in colorectal cancer. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 3217–23., , et al.
- 1015-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase is a tumor suppressor of human breast cancer. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 7818–23., , et al.
- 11Calcitriol and genistein actions to inhibit the prostaglandin pathway: potential combination therapy to treat prostate cancer. J Nutr 2007; 137: 205S–10S., , , , , .
- 12NAD+-linked 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase (15-PGDH) behaves as a tumor suppressor in lung cancer. Carcinogenesis 2005; 26: 65–72., , , , .
- 1315-Hydroxyprostaglandin-dehydrogenase is involved in anti-proliferative effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs COX-1 inhibitors on a human medullary thyroid carcinoma cell line. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 2006; 81: 14–30., , , , , .
- 1415-Hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase is an in vivo suppressor of colon tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2006; 103: 12098–102., , et al.
- 15Expression of 15-PGDH is downregulated by COX-2 in gastric cancer. Carcinogenesis 2008; 29: 1219–27., , et al.
- 16Expression of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase, a COX-2 antagonist and tumour suppressor, is not altered in gastric carcinomas. Pathology 2007; 39: 174–5., , .
- 17Decreased expression of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase in gastric carcinomas. Yonsei Med J 2008; 49: 917–22., , .
- 1815-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase is down-regulated in gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 4572–80., , et al.
- 19Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced small intestinal damage is Toll-like receptor 4 dependent. Gut 2008; 57: 181–7., , et al.
- 20Correlation between MIB-1 and other proliferation markers: clinical implications of the MIB-1 cutoff value. Cancer 2002; 94: 2151–9., , et al.
- 21Anti-inflammatory effect of two isoforms of COX in H. pylori-induced gastritis in mice: possible involvement of PGE2. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2004; 286: G148–56., , et al.
- 22Rebamipide inhibits gastric cancer cell growth. Dig Dis Sci 2007; 52: 240–7., , , .
- 23Patients with adenomatous polyps and carcinomas have increased colonic mucosal prostaglandin E2. Gut 1994; 35: 675–8., .
- 24Altered eicosanoid levels in human colon cancer. J Lab Clin Med 1993; 122: 518–23., , .
- 25Prostaglandin E(2) protects intestinal tumors from nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced regression in Apc(Min/+) mice. Cancer Res 2002; 62: 403–8., , , , , .
- 26Functional epigenomics identifies genes frequently silenced in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 2005; 65: 4218–27., , , , .
- 27Repression of prostaglandin dehydrogenase by epidermal growth factor and snail increases prostaglandin E2 and promotes cancer progression. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 6649–56., , et al.
- 28Inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling elevates 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase in non-small-cell lung cancer. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 5587–93., , et al.
- 29Cyclooxygenase-2 and gastric carcinogenesis. APMIS 2003; 111: 915–25., , et al.
- 30Clinicopathologic association of cyclooxygenase 1 and cyclooxygenase 2 expression in gastric adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 2001; 233: 183–8., , , , .
- 31Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is associated with well-differentiated and intestinal-type pathways in gastric carcinogenesis. Digestion 2002; 66: 222–9., , , , , .
- 32Inverse association between cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression and microsatellite instability in gastric cancer. Cancer Lett 2001; 168: 133–40., , et al.
- 33Association between cyclo-oxygenase-2 overexpression and missense p53 mutations in gastric cancer. Br J Cancer 2001; 84: 335–9., , et al.
- 34Increased expression of cyclooxygenase-2 protein in human gastric carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6: 519–25., , et al.
- 35Cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression enhances lymphatic invasion and metastasis in human gastric carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 451–5., , et al.
- 36Concomitant overexpression of cyclooxygenase-2 in HER-2-positive on Smad4-reduced human gastric carcinomas is associated with a poor patient outcome. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 6938–45., , , , .
- 37Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in Helicobacter pylori-associated premalignant and malignant gastric lesions. Am J Pathol 2000; 157: 729–35., , et al.
- 38Clinicopathological significance of overexpression of TSPAN1, Ki67 and CD34 in gastric carcinoma. Tumori 2008; 94: 531–8., , , , , .
- 39Can the clinical outcome in stage II colon carcinomas be predicted by determination of molecular marker expression? Clin Transl Oncol 2007; 9: 663–70., , et al.
- 40Clinicopathologic study of primary malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumor of the stomach, with special reference to prognostic factors: analysis of results in 140 surgically resected patients. Gastric Cancer 2003; 6: 39–48., , , .
- 41Ki67 and CEA expression as prognostic markers in Dukes’ C colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett 2004; 207: 109–15., , et al.
- 42Both cell proliferation and apoptosis significantly predict shortened disease-free survival in hepatocellular carcinoma. Br J Cancer 1999; 81: 747–51., , et al.
- 43Prognostic significance of cell proliferation in mucoepidermoid carcinomas of the salivary gland: clinicopathological study using MIB 1 antibody in paraffin sections. Hum Pathol 1994; 25: 929–35., , , .
- 44Immunohistochemical study on the prognostic value of MIB-1 in gastric carcinoma. Br J Cancer 1996; 74: 759–65., , , , .
- 45Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs suppress glioma via 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase. Cancer Res 2008; 68: 6978–86., , et al.