These authors contributed equally to this work.
Contrasting activity of Hedgehog and Wnt pathways according to gastric cancer cell differentiation: Relevance of crosstalk mechanisms
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 328–335, February 2010
How to Cite
Kim, J.-H., Shin, H. S., Lee, S. H., Lee, I., Lee, Y. S., Park, J. C., Kim, Y. J., Chung, J. B. and Lee, Y. C. (2010), Contrasting activity of Hedgehog and Wnt pathways according to gastric cancer cell differentiation: Relevance of crosstalk mechanisms. Cancer Science, 101: 328–335. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01395.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
- (Received May 21, 2009/Revised September 19, 2009/Accepted October 4, 2009/Online publication November 23, 2009)
- 1Molecular biological observations in gastric cancer. Semin Oncol 1996; 23: 307–15., , .
- 2Review article: molecular basis of gastric carcinogenesis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003; 17 (Suppl 2): 75–81..
- 3Microsatellite instability in the progression of gastric carcinoma. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 4595–7., , et al.
- 4Chronology of p53 protein accumulation in gastric carcinogenesis. Gut 1995; 36: 848–52., , , , .
- 5Cellular and molecular pathology of gastric carcinoma and precursor lesions: a critical review. Gastric Cancer 1998; 1: 31–50..
- 6The Hedgehog and Wnt signalling pathways in cancer. Nature 2001; 411: 349–54., .
- 7Frequent activation of the hedgehog pathway in advanced gastric adenocarcinomas. Carcinogenesis 2005; 26: 1698–705., , et al.
- 8Hedgehog signal activation in gastric pit cell and in diffuse-type gastric cancer. Gastroenterology 2006; 131: 14–29., , et al.
- 9Hedgehog signaling pathway is a possible therapeutic target for gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 2007; 95: 55–62., , et al.
- 10The APC gene, responsible for familial adenomatous polyposis, is mutated in human gastric cancer. Cancer Res 1992; 52: 3231–3., , et al.
- 11Mutational analysis of the beta-catenin gene in gastric carcinomas. Tumour Biol 2001; 22: 123–30., , et al.
- 12Somatic beta-catenin mutation in gastric carcinoma – an infrequent event that is not specific for microsatellite instability. Cancer Lett 2001; 163: 125–30., , et al.
- 13beta-Catenin mutation is a frequent cause of Wnt pathway activation in gastric cancer. Cancer Res 2002; 62: 3503–6., , et al.
- 14Control of gut differentiation and intestinal-type gastric carcinogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 592–600..
- 15Alterations of tumor suppressor and tumor-related genes in the development and progression of gastric cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12: 192–8..
- 16Nuclear accumulation of beta-catenin in intestinal-type gastric carcinoma: correlation with early tumor invasion. Virchows Arch 2000; 437: 508–13., , et al.
- 17Different patterns of beta-catenin expression in gastric carcinomas: relationship with clinicopathological parameters and prognostic outcome. Histopathology 2001; 39: 141–9., , , , , .
- 18Crosstalk of hedgehog and Wnt pathways in gastric cancer. Cancer Lett 2008; 263: 145–56., , et al.
- 19Increased expression of sonic hedgehog and altered methylation of its promoter region in gastric cancer and its related lesions. Mod Pathol 2006; 19: 675–83., , et al.
- 20TC1(C8orf4) correlates with Wnt/beta-catenin target genes and aggressive biological behavior in gastric cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 3541–8., , et al.
- 21Loss of phenotypic expression is related to tumour progression in early gastric differentiated adenocarcinoma. Histopathology 2005; 47: 357–67., , , , , .
- 22Effect of suramin on differentiation of human stomach cancer cell lines. J Korean Med Sci 1997; 12: 433–42., , , .
- 23Suppressing Wnt signaling by the hedgehog pathway through sFRP-1. J Biol Chem 2006; 281: 35598–602., , et al.
- 24GLI1 acts through Snail and E-cadherin to promote nuclear signaling by beta-catenin. Oncogene 2007; 26: 4489–98., , , .
- 25Enhancement of GLI1-transcriptional activity by beta-catenin in human cancer cells. Oncol Rep 2006; 16: 91–6., , et al.
- 26PTC gene mutations and expression of SHH, PTC, SMO, and GLI-1 in odontogenic keratocysts. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 33: 584–92., , , , , .
- 27Expression of placental alkaline phosphatase in gastric and colorectal cancers. An immunohistochemical study using the prepared monoclonal antibody. Cancer 1990; 66: 2575–82., , et al.
- 28The effect of extracellular calcium on colonocytes: evidence for differential responsiveness based upon degree of cell differentiation. Cell Prolif 1995; 28: 245–62., , et al.
- 29Isoform-specific up-regulation of plasma membrane Ca2+ATPase expression during colon and gastric cancer cell differentiation. Cell Calcium 2007; 42: 590–605., , et al.
- 30Frequent loss of Brm expression in gastric cancer correlates with histologic features and differentiation state. Cancer Res 2007; 67: 10727–35., , et al.
- 31Microaerophilic conditions permit to mimic in vitro events occurring during in vivo Helicobacter pylori infection and to identify Rho/Ras-associated proteins in cellular signaling. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 33978–86., , , .
- 32Smad3-dependent nuclear translocation of beta-catenin is required for TGF-beta1-induced proliferation of bone marrow-derived adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Genes Dev 2006; 20: 666–74., , , , , .
- 33Differential regulation of placental and germ cell alkaline phosphatases by glucocorticoid and sodium butyrate in human gastric carcinoma cell line TMK-1. Arch Biochem Biophys 2001; 388: 45–54., , , , , .
- 34Effect of capsianoside, a diterpene glycoside, on tight-junctional permeability. Biochim Biophys Acta 1997; 1323: 281–90., , , .
- 35Rapid identification of differentiation markers from whole epithelial cells by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometry and statistical analysis. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2008; 22: 1099–108., , et al.
- 36Expression of endomembrane calcium pumps in colon and gastric cancer cells. Induction of SERCA3 expression during differentiation. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 26310–20., , et al.
- 37Differentiation-specific expression of chromatin remodeling factor BRM. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2008; 366: 827–33., , .
- 38Cross talk between hedgehog and epithelial-mesenchymal transition pathways in gastric pit cells and in diffuse-type gastric cancers. Br J Cancer 2009; 100: 389–98., , et al.
- 39Expression of Wnt-5a is correlated with aggressiveness of gastric cancer by stimulating cell migration and invasion. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 10439–48., , et al.