These authors contributed equally to this work.
XAF1 as a prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target in pancreatic cancer
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 559–567, February 2010
How to Cite
Huang, J., Yao, W.-y., Zhu, Q., Tu, S.-p., Yuan, F., Wang, H.-f., Zhang, Y.-p. and Yuan, Y.-z. (2010), XAF1 as a prognostic biomarker and therapeutic target in pancreatic cancer. Cancer Science, 101: 559–567. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01396.x
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
- (Received May 31, 2009/Revised September 20, 2009/Accepted September 29, 2009/Online publication November 17, 2009)
- 1Is it possible to survive pancreatic cancer? Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 3: 236–7..
- 2Current diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer in China. Pancreas 2005; 31: 13–22., .
- 3Pancreatic cancer. Lancet 2004; 363: 1049–57., , , .
- 4Pancreatic cancer: basic and clinical aspects. Gastroenterology 2005; 128: 1606–25., , , .
- 5Cell death pathways in pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. Pancreatology 2004; 4: 567–86., .
- 6Extrinsic versus intrinsic apoptosis pathways in anticancer chemotherapy. Oncogene 2006; 25: 4798–811., .
- 7IAP proteins: blocking the road to death’s door. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2002; 3: 401–10., .
- 8X-linked IAP is a direct inhibitor of cell-death proteases. Nature 1997; 388: 300–04., , , .
- 9X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein (XIAP) inhibits caspase-3 and-7 in distinct modes. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 27058–63., , , , .
- 10Targeting the apoptotic machinery in pancreatic cancers using small-molecule antagonists of the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein. Mol Cancer Ther 2007; 6: 957–66., , et al.
- 11Smac, a mitochondrial protein that promotes cytochrome c-dependent caspase activation by eliminating IAP inhibition. Cell 2000; 102: 33–42., , , , .
- 12A serine protease, HtrA2, is released from the mitochondria and interacts with XIAP, inducing cell death. Mol Cell 2001; 8: 613–21., , , , , .
- 13Identification of XAF1 as an antagonist of XIAP anti-Caspase activity. Nat Cell Biol 2001; 3: 128–33., , et al.
- 14Identification of X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis-associated factor-1 as an interferon-stimulated gene that augments TRAIL Apo2L-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem 2002; 277: 28504–11., , et al.
- 15Frequent alteration of XAF1 in human colorectal cancers: implication for tumor cell resistance to apoptotic stresses. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 2459–77., , et al.
- 16Xaf1 can cooperate with TNFalpha in the induction of apoptosis, independently of interaction with XIAP. Mol Cell Biochem 2006; 286: 67–76., , , , .
- 17Expression and genetic analysis of XIAP-associated factor 1 (XAF1) in cancer cell lines. Genomics 2000; 70: 113–22., , , , , .
- 18XAF1 expression is significantly reduced in human melanoma. J Invest Dermatol 2004; 123: 1127–34., , , .
- 19Promoter CpG hypermethylation and downregulation of XAF1 expression in human urogenital malignancies: implication for attenuated p53 response to apoptotic stresses. Oncogene 2006; 25: 5807–22., , et al.
- 20Hypermethylation of XIAP-associated factor 1, a putative tumor suppressor gene from the 17p13.2 locus, in human gastric adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 7068–75., , et al.
- 21Correlation between the single-site CpG methylation and expression silencing of the XAF1 gene in human gastric and colon cancers. Gastroenterology 2006; 131: 1835–43., , et al.
- 22Gene expression and promoter methylation of the XIAP-associated Factor 1 in renal cell carcinomas: correlations with pathology and outcome. Cancer Lett 2007; 254: 227–35., , et al.
- 23Switch to full-length of XAF1 mRNA expression in prostate cancer cells by the DNA methylation inhibitor. Int J Cancer 2006; 118: 2485–9., , et al.
- 24Overcoming resistance to interferon-induced apoptosis of renal carcinoma and melanoma cells by DNA demethylation. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 3771–9., , et al.
- 25XAF1 mediates tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced apoptosis and X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis cleavage by acting through the mitochondrial pathway. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 13059–72., , et al.
- 26Recent advances on the molecular mechanisms involved in pancreatic cancer progression and therapies. Pancreas 2005; 31: 301–16., , , .
- 27Genetics and biology of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Genes Dev 2006; 20: 1218–49., , , , .
- 28Molecular biomarkers: their increasing role in the diagnosis, characterization, and therapy guidance in pancreatic cancer. Mol Cancer Ther 2006; 5: 787–96., .
- 29Disturbed XIAP and XAF1 expression balance is an independent prognostic factor in gastric adenocarcinomas. Ann Surg Oncol 2008; 15: 3494–502., , , , , .
- 30Death and anti-death: tumour resistance to apoptosis. Nat Rev Cancer 2002; 2: 277–88., .
- 31CD95 and TRAIL receptor-mediated activation of protein kinase C and NF-kappaB contributes to apoptosis resistance in ductal pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells. Oncogene 2001; 20: 4258–69., , et al.
- 32Bcl-XL protects pancreatic adenocarcinoma cells against CD95- and TRAIL-receptor-mediated apoptosis. Oncogene 2000; 19: 5477–86., , et al.
- 33Two CD95 (APO-1/Fas) signaling pathways. EMBO J 1998; 17: 1675–87., , et al.
- 34Caspase cleaved BID targets mitochondria and is required for cytochrome c release, while BCL-XL prevents this release but not tumor necrosis factor-R1/Fas death. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 1156–63., , et al.
- 35Promoting apoptosis as a strategy for cancer drug discovery. Nat Rev Cancer 2005; 5: 876–85..
- 36Apoptosis-targeted therapies for cancer. Cancer Cell 2003; 3: 17–22..
- 37Degradation of survivin by the X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis (XIAP)-XAF1 complex. J Biol Chem 2007; 282: 26202–9., , , , , .
- 38Survivin, versatile modulation of cell division and apoptosis in cancer. Oncogene 2003; 22: 8581–9..
- 39Validating survivin as a cancer therapeutic target. Nat Rev Cancer 2003; 3: 46–54..
- 40An anti-apoptotic protein human survivin is a direct inhibitor of caspase-3 and -7. Biochemistry 2001; 40: 1117–23., , et al.
- 41IAP family proteins – suppressors of apoptosis. Genes Dev 1999; 13: 239–52., .
- 42Control of apoptosis and mitotic spindle checkpoint by survivin. Nature 1998; 396: 580–4., , et al.
- 43Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreatic cancer: a randomized-trial. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 2403–13., , et al.
- 44A phase II trial of gemcitabine in patients with 5-FU-refractory pancreas cancer. Ann Oncol 1996; 7: 347–53., , et al.
- 45Restoration of XAF1 expression induces apoptosis and inhibits tumor growth in gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2009; 125: 688–97., , et al.