These authors contributed equally to this work.
APC promoter hypermethylation is an early event in endometrial tumorigenesis
Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 321–327, February 2010
How to Cite
Ignatov, A., Bischoff, J., Ignatov, T., Schwarzenau, C., Krebs, T., Kuester, D., Costa, S. D., Roessner, A., Semczuk, A. and Schneider-Stock, R. (2010), APC promoter hypermethylation is an early event in endometrial tumorigenesis. Cancer Science, 101: 321–327. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01397.x
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 OCT 2009
- (Received June 30, 2009/Revised September 15, 2009/Accepted September 29, 2009/Online publication November 8, 2009)
- 1Endometrial cancer. Lancet 2005; 366: 491–505., , et al.
- 2The behavior of endometrial hyperplasia. A long-term study of “untreated” hyperplasia in 170 patients. Cancer 1985; 56: 403–12., , .
- 3The precursors of endometrial carcinoma. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1979; 135: 947–56., .
- 4Reproducibility of the diagnosis of endometrial hyperplasia, atypical hyperplasia, and well-differentiated carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1998; 22: 1012–9., , et al.
- 5Endometrial precancer diagnosis by histopathology, clonal analysis, and computerized morphometry. J Pathol 2000; 190: 462–9., , et al.
- 6Endometrial cancer in elderly women: a histologic and steroid receptor study. Gerontology 2000; 46: 17–21., , .
- 7Gene silencing in cancer in association with promoter hypermethylation. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 2042–54., .
- 8The ABC of APC. Hum Mol Genet 2001; 10: 721–33., , .
- 9Functional interaction of beta-catenin with the transcription factor LEF-1. Nature 1996; 382: 638–42., , et al.
- 10Expressions of E-cadherin and alpha- and beta-catenin mRNAs in uterine endometrial cancers. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 1998; 19: 78–81., , et al.
- 11The role of the cell-adhesion molecule E-cadherin as a tumour-suppressor gene. Trends Biochem Sci 1999; 24: 73–6., .
- 12The APC gene in colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer 2002; 38: 867–71..
- 13beta-catenin expression pattern in stage I and II ovarian carcinomas : relationship with beta-catenin gene mutations, clinicopathological features, and clinical outcome. Am J Pathol 1999; 155: 527–36., , et al.
- 14Abnormalities of the APC/beta-catenin pathway in endometrial cancer. Oncogene 2002; 21: 7981–90., , et al.
- 15Mutational analysis of the APC/beta-catenin/Tcf pathway in colorectal cancer. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 1130–4., , et al.
- 16Immunoexpression of beta-catenin – E-cadherin complex in primary serous ovarian tumors. Pol J Pathol 2008; 59: 27–32., , et al.
- 17A gene hypermethylation profile of human cancer. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 3225–9., , et al.
- 18Aberrant methylation of the adenomatous polyposis coli (APC) gene promoter 1A in breast and lung carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 1998–2004., , et al.
- 19Identification of an alternative 5′ untranslated region of the adenomatous polyposis coli gene. Hum Genet 1993; 90: 650–2., .
- 20Methylation of adenomatous polyposis coli in endometrial cancer occurs more frequently in tumors with microsatellite instability phenotype. Cancer Res 2002; 62: 3663–6., , et al.
- 21Relationship of the aberrant DNA hypermethylation of cancer-related genes with carcinogenesis of endometrial cancer. Oncol Rep 2006; 16: 1189–96., , et al.
- 22Multiple ways of silencing E-cadherin gene expression in lobular carcinoma of the breast. Int J Cancer 2001; 92: 404–8., , et al.
- 23Decreased expression of catenins (alpha and beta), p120 CTN, and E-cadherin cell adhesion proteins and E-cadherin gene promoter methylation in prostatic adenocarcinomas. Cancer 2001; 92: 2786–95., , et al.
- 24Hypermethylation in promoter region of E-cadherin gene is associated with tumor dedifferention and myometrial invasion in endometrial carcinoma. Cancer 2003; 97: 1002–9., , et al.
- 25APC, beta-catenin, and E-cadherin and the development of recurrent endometrial carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2004; 14: 947–56., , et al.
- 26Promoter hypermethylation of multiple genes in carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 1982–6., , et al.
- 27Methylation-specific PCR: a novel PCR assay for methylation status of CpG islands. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93: 9821–6., , et al.
- 28P16 alterations increase the metastatic potential of endometrial carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 2008; 111: 365–71., , et al.
- 29Monoclonal antibodies against recombinant parts of the Ki-67 antigen (MIB 1 and MIB 3) detect proliferating cells in microwave-processed formalin-fixed paraffin sections. J Pathol 1992; 168: 357–63., , et al.
- 30The Ki-67 protein: from the known and the unknown. J Cell Physiol 2000; 182: 311–22., .
- 31Immunohistochemical analysis of MIB-1 proliferative activity in human endometrial cancer. Correlation with clinicopathological parameters, patient outcome, retinoblastoma immunoreactivity and K-ras codon 12 point mutations. Histochem J 2001; 33: 193–200., , et al.
- 32Progressive derailment of cell cycle regulators in endometrial carcinogenesis. J Clin Pathol 2008; 61: 36–42., , et al.
- 33The E-cadherin repressor snail plays a role in tumor progression of endometrioid adenocarcinomas. Diagn Mol Pathol 2007; 16: 222–8., , et al.
- 34Decreased E-cadherin expression in endometrial carcinoma is associated with tumor dedifferentiation and deep myometrial invasion. Gynecol Oncol 1994; 53: 183–9., , et al.
- 35Combined E-cadherin, alpha-catenin, and beta-catenin expression is a favorable prognostic factor in endometrial carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006; 16: 1379–85., , et al.
- 36Endometrial carcinoma: immunohistochemically detected proliferation index is a prognosticator of long-term outcome. J Clin Pathol 1998; 51: 25–9., , et al.
- 37DNA methylation in breast and colorectal cancers. Mod Pathol 2007; 20: 711–21., , .
- 38Epigenetics and aging: the targets and the marks. Trends Genet 2007; 23: 413–8., .
- 39DNA methylation in health, disease, and cancer. Curr Mol Med 2007; 7: 85–102., , .