Enhanced tumor growth in the NaS1 sulfate transporter null mouse
Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 369–373, February 2010
How to Cite
Dawson, P. A., Choyce, A., Chuang, C., Whitelock, J., Markovich, D. and Leggatt, G. R. (2010), Enhanced tumor growth in the NaS1 sulfate transporter null mouse. Cancer Science, 101: 369–373. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01399.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 12 OCT 2009
- (Received August 19, 2009/Revised October 5, 2009/Accepted October 6, 2009/Online publication November 5, 2009)
- 1Physiological roles and regulation of mammalian sulfate transporters. Physiol Rev 2001; 81: 1499–534..
- 2Sulfation. In: MulderGJ, ed. Conjugation Reactions in Drug Metabolism: An Integrated Approach: Substrates, Co-substrates, Enzymes and Their Interactions In Vivo and In Vitro. London: Taylor and Francis, 1990; 107–61., .
- 3Enzymatic remodeling of heparan sulfate proteoglycans within the tumor microenvironment: growth regulation and the prospect of new cancer therapies. J Cell Biochem 2005; 96: 897–905., , , , , .
- 4Signalling Cryptic clues about metastasis. Nature Rev Cancer 2002; 2: 1–2..
- 5Tumor cell surface heparan sulfate as cryptic promoters or inhibitors of tumor growth and metastasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002; 99: 568–73., , , , .
- 6Sulfatase 2 up-regulates glypican 3, promotes fibroblast growth factor signaling, and decreases survival in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2008; 47: 1211–22., , et al.
- 7High expression of steroid sulfatase mRNA predicts poor prognosis in patients with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2003; 9: 2288–93., , et al.
- 8Extracellular sulfatases, elements of the Wnt signaling pathway, positively regulate growth and tumorigenicity of human pancreatic cancer cells. PloS One 2007; 2: e392., , , , , .
- 9Inhibition of heparanase activity and tumor metastasis by laminarin sulfate and synthetic phosphorothioate oligodeoxynucleotides. Int J Cancer 1999; 83: 424–31., , , , , .
- 10The sulfate content of foods and beverages. J Food Compos Anal 1993; 6: 140–51., , , .
- 11The importance of 3′-phosphoadenosine 5′-phosphosulfate (PAPS) in the regulation of sulfation. FASEB J 1997; 11: 404–18., .
- 12The Mouse Na+-Sulfate Cotransporter Gene Nas1: cloning, tissue distribution, gene structure, chromosomal assignment, and transcriptional regulation by vitamin D. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 11880–90., .
- 13The human renal sodium sulfate cotransporter (SLC13A1; hNaSi-1) cDNA and gene: organisation, chromosomal localization, and functional characterization. Genomics 2000; 70: 354–63., , .
- 14Hyposulfatemia, growth retardation, reduced fertility and seizures in mice lacking a functional NaSi-1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100: 13704–9., , .
- 15Transcriptional profile reveals altered hepatic lipid and cholesterol metabolism in hyposulfatemic NaS1 null mice. Physiol Genomics 2006; 26: 116–24., , , .
- 16Kidney transcriptome reveals altered steroid homeostasis in NaS1 sulfate transporter null mice. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2008; 112: 55–62., , , , .
- 17Impaired intestinal function in the hyposulphataemic NaS1 null mouse. Gut 2009; 58: 910–9., , et al.
- 18Genetic polymorphisms of human sulfate transporters. Curr Pharmacogenomics 2007; 5: 262–74., .
- 19Disruption of NaS1 sulfate transport function in mice leads to enhanced acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity. Hepatology 2006; 43: 1241–7., , , , .
- 20Treatment of established tumors with a novel vaccine that enhances major histocompatibility class II presentation of tumor antigen. Cancer Res 1996; 56: 21–6., , et al.
- 21Inhibition of early tumor growth requires J alpha 18-positive (natural killer T) cells. Cancer Res 2003; 63: 3058–60., , , , .
- 22Tumour susceptibility to innate and adaptive immunotherapy changes during tumour maturation. Immunol Cell Biol 2004; 82: 455–61., , , .
- 23Flaxseed alone or in combination with tamoxifen inhibits MCF-7 breast tumor growth in ovariectomized athymic mice with high circulating levels of estrogen. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2007; 232: 1071–80., , , , .
- 24A rapid one-step trichrome stain. Am J Clin Pathol 1950; 20: 661–4..
- 25Intra-tumoural microvessel density in human solid tumours. Br J Cancer 2002; 86: 1566–77., , .
- 26Heparan sulfate proteoglycans and cancer. Br J Cancer 2001; 85: 1094–8., , , .
- 27A functional polymorphism in the SULT1A1 gene (G638A) is associated with risk of lung cancer in relation to tobacco smoking. Carcinogenesis 2004; 25: 773–8., , , , .
- 28Elevate level of glycosaminoglycans and altered sulfation pattern of chondroitin sulfate are associated with differentiation status and histological type of human primary hepatic carcinoma. Oncology 2007; 72: 347–56., , , , , .
- 29Altered content composition and structure of glycosaminoglycans and proteoglycans in gastric carcinoma. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2003; 35: 376–90., , , , .
- 30Distribution and changes of glycosaminoglycans in neoplasias of rectum. Anticancer Res 1995; 15: 2107–12., , , .
- 31Differential production of high molecular weight sulfated glycoproteins in normal colonic mucosa, primary colon carcinoma, and metastases. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 2741–7., , , , , .
- 32Polymorphisms in metabolic genes, their combination and interaction with tobacco smoke and alcohol consumption and risk of gastric cancer: a case-control study in an Italian population. BMC Cancer 2007; 7: 206., , et al.
- 33Sulfotransferase 1A1 haplotypes associated with oral squamous cell carcinoma susceptibility in male Taiwanese. Carcinogenesis 2009; 30: 286–94., , et al.
- 34Red meat intake, doneness, polymorphisms in genes that encode carcinogen-metabolizing enzymes, and colorectal cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008; 17: 3098–107., , , , , .
- 35Cancer and molecular biomarkers of phase 2. Methods Enzymol 2005; 400: 618–27., , .
- 36Genetic polymorphism of sulfotransferase 1A1, cigarette smoking, hazardous chemical exposure and urothelial cancer risk in a Taiwanese population. Int J Urol 2008; 15: 1029–34., , , , , .
- 37Sulfation pattern in glycosaminoglycan: does it have a code? Glycoconj J 2004; 21: 47–52., , .
- 38Enhanced growth of tumors in SPARC null mice is associated with changes in the ECM. J Clin Invest 2003; 111: 487–95., , , , , .
- 39A tense situation: forcing tumour progression. Nat Rev Cancer 2009; 9: 108–22., , .
- 40Microenvironmental regulation of cancer development. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2008; 18: 27–34., .