Conditionally replicating adenovirus improves gene replication efficiency and anticancer effect of E1-deleted adenovirus carrying TRAIL in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
Article first published online: 20 OCT 2009
© 2009 Japanese Cancer Association
Volume 101, Issue 2, pages 482–487, February 2010
How to Cite
Shim, S.-H., Lee, C.-T., Hun Hah, J., Lee, J.-J., Park, S.-W., Heo, D. S. and Sung, M.-W. (2010), Conditionally replicating adenovirus improves gene replication efficiency and anticancer effect of E1-deleted adenovirus carrying TRAIL in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Science, 101: 482–487. doi: 10.1111/j.1349-7006.2009.01409.x
- Issue published online: 29 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 20 OCT 2009
- (Received September 14, 2009/Accepted October 12, 2009/Online publication November 17, 2009)
- 1Combination therapy with conditionally replicating adenovirus and replication defective adenovirus. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 6660–5., , et al.
- 2In vivo imaging of adenovirus transduction and enhanced therapeutic efficacy of combination therapy with conditionally replicating adenovirus and adenovirus-p27. Cancer Res 2006; 66: 372–7., , et al.
- 3ONYX-015, an E1B gene-attenuated adenovirus, causes tumor-specific cytolysis and antitumoral efficacy that can be augmented by standard chemotherapeutic agents. Nat Med 1997; 3: 639–45., , , , , .
- 4An adenovirus E1A mutant that demonstrates potent and selective systemic anti-tumoral efficacy. Nat Med 2000; 6: 1134–9., , et al.
- 5Replication-selective oncolytic adenoviruses: virotherapy aimed at genetic targets in cancer. Oncogene 2000; 19: 6660–9..
- 6A conditionally replicative adenovirus with enhanced infectivity shows improved oncolytic potency. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 120–6., , , , , .
- 7Identification and characterization of a new member of the TNF family that induces apoptosis. Immunity 1995; 3: 673–82., , et al.
- 8TRAIL: a molecule with multiple receptors and control mechanisms. Curr Opin Immunol 1998; 10: 559–63., .
- 9Mechanisms of resistance to TRAIL-induced apoptosis in cancer. Cancer Gene Ther 2005; 12: 228–37., .
- 10Homozygous deletion of the death receptor DR4 gene in a nasopharyngeal cancer cell line is associated with TRAIL resistance. Int J Oncol 2000; 16: 917–25., , et al.
- 11Alterations of the DR5/TRAIL receptor 2 gene in non-small cell lung cancers. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 5683–6., , et al.
- 12Resistance to TRAIL-induced apoptosis in neuroblastoma cells correlates with a loss of caspase-8 expression. Med Pediatr Oncol 2000; 35: 603–7., , , , , .
- 13Intracellular regulation of TRAIL-induced apoptosis in human melanoma cells. J Immunol 1998; 161: 2833–40., , , , .
- 14Molecular determinants of response to TRAIL in killing of normal and cancer cells. Clin Cancer Res 2000; 6: 335–46., , , .
- 15Regulation of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand sensitivity in primary and transformed human keratinocytes. Cancer Res 2000; 60: 553–9., , et al.
- 16Additive effect of TRAIL and p53 gene transfer on apoptosis of human lung cancer cell lines. Int J Mol Med 2004; 13: 181–6., , et al.
- 17Adenovirus-TRAIL can overcome TRAIL resistance and induce a bystander effect. Cancer Gene Ther 2003; 10: 540–8., , et al.
- 18A tumor-specific conditionally replicative adenovirus vector expressing TRAIL for gene therapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Gene Ther 2006; 13: 159–68., , et al.
- 19Therapy of colon cancer with oncolytic adenovirus is enhanced by the addition of herpes simplex virus-thymidine kinase. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 410–3., , .
- 20Treatment of malignant gliomas with a replicating adenoviral vector expressing herpes simplex virus-tymidine kinase. Cancer Res 2001; 61: 8743–50., , , , , .
- 21Oncolytic activity of p53-expressing conditionally replicative adenovirus AdΔ24-p53 against human malignant glioma. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 5753–9., , et al.
- 22Gene delivery from the E3 region of replicating human adenovirus: evaluation of the 6.7 K/gp19 K region. Gene Ther 2001; 8: 1123–31., , et al.
- 23Gene delivery from the E3 region of replicating human adenovirus: evaluation of the ADP region. Gene Ther 2001; 8: 1132–41., .
- 24Gene delivery from the E3 region of replicating human adenovirus: evaluation of the E3B region. Gene Ther 2001; 8: 1142–8., .
- 25Armed therapeutic viruses: strategies and challenges to arming oncolytic viruses with therapeutic genes. Cancer Gene Ther 2002; 9: 1022–35., .
- 26Telomerase-dependent oncolytic adenovirus for cancer treatment. Gene Ther 2003; 10: 1241–7., , , , .
- 27A novel conditionally replicative adenovirus vector targeting telomerase-positive tumor cells. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10: 1439–45., , et al.
- 28Infectivity-enhanced cyclooxygenase-2-based conditionally replicative adenoviruses for esophageal adenocarcinoma treatment. Cancer Res 2004; 64: 4319–27., , , , , .
- 29A cyclooxygenase-2 promoter-based conditionally replicating adenovirus with enhanced infectivity for treatment of ovarian adenocarcinoma. Gene Ther 2004; 11: 552–9., , et al.