Dependence and Society
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2006
British Journal of Addiction
Volume 80, Issue 2, pages 133–139, June 1985
How to Cite
Room, R. (1985), Dependence and Society. British Journal of Addiction, 80: 133–139. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.1985.tb03263.x
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2006
- 1Kissin, B. and Begleiter, H., eds. (1983). The Biology of Alcoholism; vol. 6: The Pathogenesis of Alcoholism: Psychosocial Factors. New York and London , Plenum.
- 21973). The social psychology of drug dependence. Pp. 69–75 in: [Hawks, D., ed.,] The Epidemiology of Drug Dependence: Report on a Conference: London 25–29 September, 1972. Copenhagen, World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe.(
- 3Alcoholics Anonymous (1939). New York , Works Publishing, p. 77.
- 71973). The Amsterdam Congress. Drinking and Drug Practices Surveyor, 7, 1–6.(
- 8Edwards, G., Gross, M. M., Keller, M., Moser, J. and Room, R., (Eds.) (1977). Alcohol-Related Disabilities. Geneva , World Health Organization, Offset Publication No. 32.
- 111979). The challenge for reconceptualization, Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Supplement 8, 279–288.(
- 121959). Drinking Behaviour in Small Groups. Helsinki , Finnish Foundation for Alcohol Studies.(
- 141984). Alcohol problems and the sociological constructivist approach: Quagmire or path forward? Presented at the annual meeting of the Alcohol Epidemiology Section, International Council on Alcohol and Addictions, Edinburgh, June 4–8.(
- 15Comment by Mark Keller on p.105 of: Gerstein, D. R. (Ed). (1984). Toward the Prevention of Alcohol Problems: Government, Business and Community Action. Washington , DC , National Academy Press.
- 161983). On defining alcoholism and taking stands. Pp. 1–5 in: Cleminshaw, H. K. and Truitt, E. B., (Eds.) Alcoholism: New Perspectives. Akron , Ohio , University of Akron Center for Urban Studies.(
- 181951). Social Pathology: A Systematic Approach to the Theory of Sociopathic Behavior. New York , McGraw-Hill, pp. 356, 348–9.(
- 201984). Smoking as a form of drug dependence. Presented at the Centennial Symposium of the Society for the Study of Addiction to Alcohol and other Drugs, ‘Addiction: A Hundred Years On’, at the Royal Society, London, 25 October.(
- 221981). Compulsive Overeater: The Basic Text for Compulsive Overeaten. Minneapolis , CompCare Publications.. (
- 231984). Some sexual behaviour viewed as an addiction. New York Times October 16, pp. 19, 21.(
- 261976). Firewater Myths: North American Indian Drinking and Alcohol Addiction. New Brunswick, N. J. : Rutgers Centre of Alcohol Studies, Monograph No. 11, pp. 54–55.(
- 28See discussion in Chapter 2 of: Djurfeldt G. and Lindberg, S. (1975). Pills against Poverty: A Study of the Introduction of Western Medicine in a Tamil Village. Lund , Sweden , Scandinavian Institute of Asian Studies Monograph No. 23, Curzon Press.
- 291982). State of diagnosis and classification in the 1980s: The Third World. Prepared for an International Conference on Diagnosis and Classification of Mental Disorders and Alcohol-and Drug-Related Problems, World Health Organization, Copenhagen, 13–17 April., , and (
- 301981). Economic and political factors inhibiting the use of basic research findings in Indian alcoholism programs. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, Supplement 9, 60–72.and (
- 31Two versions of dependence: The DSM-III and the alcohol dependence syndrome. Drug and Alcohol Dependence..(forthcoming).
- 321960). Alcoholism, a genus and some of its species. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 83, 1341–1345., (
- 33Walsh, B., with 13 others (1981). Alcohol, Society and the State: I. A Comparative Study of Alcohol Control. Toronto , Addiction Research Foundation, p.64., , , ,
- 341983). Alcohol and Disinhibition: Nature and Meaning of the Link, NIAAA Research Monograph No. 12. Washington , DC : U.S. Government Printing Office, DHHS Publication No. (ADM) 83-1246.and (Eds.) (