South Africa: alcohol today
Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2005
Volume 100, Issue 4, pages 426–429, April 2005
How to Cite
PARRY, C. D. H. (2005), South Africa: alcohol today. Addiction, 100: 426–429. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2005.01015.x
- Issue online: 22 MAR 2005
- Version of Record online: 22 MAR 2005
- 21992) Liquor and Labor in Southern Africa. Pietermaritzburg: University of Natal Press.& , eds (
- 31998) Alcohol Policy and Public Health in South Africa. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.& (
- 4South Africa (2004) Liquor Act No 59 of 2003[Gazette no. 26294]. South Pretoria: Government Printers[Laws].
- 52004) Alcohol. In: Ezatti, M., Lopez, A. D., Rodgers, A. & Murray, C. J. L., eds. Comparative Quantification of Health Risks: Global and Regional Burden of Disease Attributable to Selected Risk Factors, vol. I, pp. 959–1108. Geneva: World Health Organization., , , , , , , & (
- 7in press) Alcohol use in South Africa: findings from the first demographic and health survey. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, in press., , , , & (
- 8Alcoholic Beverage Review (1999) Pinelands, South Africa: Ramsay, Son & Parker.
- 9Alcoholic Beverage Review (2004) Pinelands, South Africa: Ramsay, Son & Parker.
- 10South African Wine Industry Information & Systems (SAWIS) (2004) South African Wine Industry Statistics. Paarl, South Africa: SAWIS.
- 112002) Nelson Mandela/HSRC Study of HIV/AIDS: South African National HIV Prevalence, Behavioural Risks and Mass Media Household Survey 2002. Cape Town: HSRC.& (
- 121996) Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Use Among Black Youth. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council., & (
- 132003) Umthenthe Uhlaba Usamila—the South African Youth Risk Behaviour Survey 2002. Cape Town: Medical Research Council., , , , , , , , , , & (
- 142003) A Profile of Fatal Injuries in South Africa. Fourth annual report of the National Injury Mortality Surveillance System 2002. Parow: Medical Research Council., & (
- 15in press) Alcohol use and trauma in Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth, South Africa: 1999–2001. Injury Control and Safety Promotion ., , & (
- 172004) Perceived effects of alcohol on sexual encounters among adults in South Africa: dimensions and associations with sexual risk behaviour. Parow: Medical Research Council., , , , , , & (
- 182004) The relationships between alcohol use and risky sexual behaviour among adults in a urban areas in Gauteng Province, South Africa. Parow: Medical Research Council., , , , , , & (
- 192004) Alcohol abuse and other psychopathology in recently diagnosed HIV patients. In: Plüddemann, A., Hon, S., Bhana, A., Harker, N., Potgieter, H., Gerber, W. & Parry, C. D. H., eds. Monitoring Alcohol and Drug Abuse Trends in South Africa. Proceedings of SACENDU Report Back Meetings October 2003, pp. 13–15. Cape Town: Medical Research Council., , , & (
- 202004) Monitoring alcohol and drug abuse trends in South Africa (July 1996–December 2003). SACENDU Research Brief, 7, 1–8., , , , & (
- 22Department of Welfare, South Africa (1997) Resource Directory on Services and Facilities for the Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse. Pretoria: Government Printer.
- 23Department of Social Development and Central Drug Authority, South Africa (2003) Resource Directory on Alcohol and Drug Related Services and Facilities. Pretoria: Government Printer.
- 252003) Norms and standards for substance dependence in-patient centres in South Africa. Report submitted to the UN Office on Drugs and Crime. Cape Town: Bridges., , , , , & (
- 262003) Sensible Drinking Project: evaluation of health worker training. African Journal of Drug and Alcohol Studies, 2, 31–45., & (
- 28Alcohol & Drug Abuse Research Group (2004) Selected recent journal articles related to southern Africa, ordered by date and author. Available online at: http://www.sahealthinfo.org/admodule/recentauthor.htm. [Accessed 8 November 2004].
- 29in press) A review of policy-relevant strategies and interventions to address the burden of alcohol on individuals and society in South Africa. South African Psychiatry Review, 8.(