Childhood and adolescent predictors of alcohol use and problems in adolescence and adulthood in the National Child Development Study
Article first published online: 17 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Special Issue: Destiny Matters: Childhood and Adolescent Prediction of Adult Alcohol Use and Abuse in Six Multi-decade Longitudinal Studies
Volume 103, Issue Supplement s1, pages 7–22, May 2008
How to Cite
Maggs, J. L., Patrick, M. E. and Feinstein, L. (2008), Childhood and adolescent predictors of alcohol use and problems in adolescence and adulthood in the National Child Development Study. Addiction, 103: 7–22. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02173.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2008
- Submitted 17 October 2007; initial review completed 3 December 2007; final version accepted 28 January 2007
- 1The life course. In: BorgattaE. F., BorgattaM. L., editors. The Encyclopedia of Sociology. New York: Macmillan; 1992, p. 1120–30.Jr.
- 2Handbook of the Life Course. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers; 2003., , editors.
- 3Shared Beginnings, Divergent Lives: Delinquent Boys to Age 70. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press; 2003.,
- 12Alcohol use and the alcohol use disorders: a developmental–biopsychosocial systems formulation covering the life course. In: CicchettiD., CohenD. J., editors. Developmental Psychopathology, 2nd edn. New York: Wiley; 2006, p. 620–56.
- 13Adolescent alcohol initiation: a review of psychosocial risk factors. J Adolesc Health 2004; 35: 529e7–18.
- 15Family influences on alcohol and substance abuse. In: OttP. J., TarterR. E., AmmermanR. T., editors. Sourcebook on Substance Abuse: Etiology, Epidemiology, Assessment, and Treatment. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon; 1999, p. 166–174.,
- 16Trajectories of alcohol use during the transition to adulthood. Alcohol Res Health 2005; 28: 195–201.,
- 18Family factors and adolescent substance use: models and mechanisms. Curr Dir Psychol Sci 2003; 12: 222–6.,Direct Link:
- 20Alternative structural models for understanding adolescent problem behavior in two-earner families. J Early Adolesc 1993; 13: 79–101.,
- 22Childhood antisocial behavior and adolescent alcohol use disorders. Alcohol Res Health 2002; 26: 109–15., ,
- 25Onset of adolescent drinking: a longitudinal study of intrapersonal and interpersonal antecedents. Adv Alcohol Subst Abuse 1985; 5: 91–110., , , ,
- 31Why Substance Use Declines in Young Adulthood: Changes in Social Activities, Roles, and Beliefs. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2002., , , , ,
- 32Alcohol consumption among young adults ages 18–24 in the United States: results from the 2001–2002 NESARC survey. Alcohol Res 20042005; 28: 269–80., ,
- 34Beyond Adolescence: Problem Behavior and Young Adult Development. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1991., ,
- 36Alcohol use and binge drinking as goal-directed action during the transition to post-secondary education. In: SchulenbergJ. E., MaggsJ. L., HurrelmannK., editors. Health Risks and Developmental Transitions During Adolescence. New York: Cambridge University Press; 1997, p. 345–71.
- 45From school to the labour market. In: FerriE., BynnerJ., WadsworthM., editors. Changing Britain, Changing Lives: Three Generations at the Turn of the Century. London: Institute of Education; 2003, p. 29–70., , , ,
- 46Beachside Comprehensive: A Case-Study of Secondary Schooling. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1981.
- 47Thirty Years on: Is Comprehensive Education Alive and Well or Struggling to Survive? London: Penguin; 1997.,
- 48Social Class Differences in Britain, 2nd edn. London: Grant McIntyre; 1981.
- 52Monitoring the Future National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975–2002. Volume I: Secondary School Students. NIH Publication no. 03-5375. Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse; 2003., ,
- 53Academy of Medical Sciences. Calling Time: The Nation's Drinking as a Major Health Issue. London: Academy of Medical Sciences; 2004.
- 55Smoking, Drinking and Drug Use Among Young Teenagers in 2002: A Survey Carried Out on the Behalf of the Department of Health by the National Centre for Social Research and the National Foundations for Educational Research. London: Stationery Office; 2003., , editors.
- 60From Birth to Seven: A Report of the National Child Development Study (1958 Cohort). London: Longman; 1972., ,
- 61Changing Britain, Changing Lives: Three Generations at the Turn of the Century. London: Institute of Education; 2003., , , editors.
- 62The Design and Conduct of the 1999–2000 Surveys of the National Child Development Study and the 1970 British Cohort Study. CLS Cohort Studies Working Paper 1. London: Centre for Longitudinal Studies, Institute of Education, University of London; 2000., , , ,
- 63Life at 33. The Fifth Follow-up of the National Child Development Study. London: National Children's Bureau; 1993., editor.
- 64Growing Up in Great Britain: Papers from the National Child Development Study. London: The Macmillan Press; 1983.
- 65The National Child Development Study: An Introduction, its Origins and the Methods of Data Collection. London: City University; 1995.
- 67Social class and occupation. In: BurgessR., editor. Key Variables in Social Investigation. London: Routledge; 1986, p. 123–152.
- 68Office of Population Censuses and Surveys (OPCS) and Employment Department Group. Standard Classification of Occupations (SOC). London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office; 1980.
- 71The Social Adjustment of Children. Manual to the Bristol Social Adjustment Guides, 3rd edn. London: University of London Press; 1966.
- 72Education, Health, and Behavior. London: Longman; 1970., , , editors.
- 76Southgate Group Reading Tests: Manual of Instructions. London: University of London Press; 1962.
- 77The Home and the School. London: MacGibbon & Kee; 1964.
- 791970 British Cohort Study (BCS70) Ten-Year Follow-Up: A Guide to the BCS70 10-Year Data Available at the Economic and Social Research Unit Data Archive. London: Social Statistics Research Unit: City University; 1997., ,
- 87Public Attitudes to Liquor Licensing Laws in Great Britain. London: OPCS Social Survey Division for Home Office and Scottish Home and Health Department; 1974.,
- 88Family and Social Class in a London Suburb. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul; 1960.,
- 89Planning for Leisure, Government Social Survey. London: HMSO; 1969.