Drug trafficking: time to abolish the death penalty
Article first published online: 13 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Society for the Study of Addiction
Volume 104, Issue 8, pages 1267–1269, August 2009
How to Cite
EDWARDS, G., BABOR, T., DARKE, S., HALL, W., MARSDEN, J., MILLER, P. and WEST, R. (2009), Drug trafficking: time to abolish the death penalty. Addiction, 104: 1267–1269. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02625.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 13 JUL 2009
- 1The Death Penalty for Drug Offences: A Violation of Human Rights Law. London: International Harm Reduction Association; 2007.
- 2Amnesty International UK. Death Sentences and Executions in 2007. Amnesty International Report. London: Amnesty International UK; 2008.
- 3Amnesty International UK. The Death Penalty Worldwide: Developments in 2007. Amnesty International Report. London: Amnesty International UK; 2008.
- 4Amnesty International UK. Death Penalty in 2007: Media Briefing. London: Amnesty International UK; 2008.
- 5International Narcotics Control Board. Report of the International Narcotics Control Board 2008. ISBN 978 92 1 148232 4. Vienna: International Narcotics Control Board; 2008.
- 6Asia-Pacific: Death sentences for drug-related crimes rise in region. Available at: http://asiapacific.amnesty.org/apro/aproweb.nsf/pages/adpan_a-p_anti-drug_ASA010032007 (accessed 22 June 2009).
- 7Iranian faces death penalty in Yemen for drug trafficking. Available at: http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=MTI0ODU1MzI1MQ== (accessed November 2008).
- 8Deterrence and Jurisprudence: Estimating the Effects of Criminal Sanctions on Crime Rates. New York: National Academy of Science; 1978., ,
- 9Life in Helmand, where rich rewards are reaped by poppy farmers, police and the Taliban. Available at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/22/drugs-trade-government-corruption-afghanistan (accessedDecember 2008).
- 10How many people does the US incarcerate for drug use, and who are they? Contemp Drug Probl 2005; 32: 405–28.,
- 11The cost-effectiveness of civil remedies: the case of drug control interventions. In: MazerolleL. G., RoehlJ., editors. Crime Prevention Studies, vol. 9. New York: Criminal Justice Press; 1998, p. 219–37.
- 12Against Excess: Drug Policy for Results. New York: Basic Books; 1992.
- 13UN Secretary General. Report: Capital punishment and implementation of the safeguards guaranteeing the protection of the rights of those facing the death penalty. Available at: http://www.un.org/documents/ecosoc/docs/1995/e1995-78.htm (accessed 22 June 2009).