Collateral damage from alcohol: implications of ‘second-hand effects of drinking’ for populations and health priorities
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Society for the Study of Addiction
Volume 105, Issue 8, pages 1323–1325, August 2010
How to Cite
GIESBRECHT, N., CUKIER, S. and STEEVES, D. (2010), Collateral damage from alcohol: implications of ‘second-hand effects of drinking’ for populations and health priorities. Addiction, 105: 1323–1325. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02884.x
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2010
- 1WHO. The World Health Report: Reducing Risks, Promoting Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.
- 3Alcohol and Public Health in the Americas: A Case for Action. Washington, DC: Pan American Health Organization; 2007.
- 6The extent of global alcohol marketing and its impact on youth. Contemp Drug Probl; in press; 2010.
- 7Alcohol, No Ordinary Commodity: Research and Public Policy. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2003., , , , , et al.
- 8Mapping the Social Consequences of Alcohol Consumption. Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 2001., , editors.
- 11Drinking patterns and drinking-related benefits, harm and victimization experiences: reports from community-based general population survey. Contemp Drug Probl 1997; 24: 557–79.,
- 16Alcohol, crime, and the criminal justice system. Alcohol & Crime: Research and Practice for Prevention, Alcohol Policy XII Conference: Washington, DC, 11–14 June 2000.,
- 17Alcohol-related problems: prevalence, incidence and distribution. In: AdlafE., BeginP., SawkaA., editors. Canadian Addiction Survey (CAS): A National Survey of Canadians’ Use of Alcohol and Other Drugs: Prevalence of Use and Related Harms: Detailed Report. Ottawa: Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse; 2005, p. 33–47.
- 18Focal Research Consultants. Culture of Alcohol Use in Nova Scotia. Halifax: Nova Scotia Department of Health Promotion and Protection; 2008.
- 19CAMH Monitor 2006: Technical Guide. Toronto: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health; 2007. Available at: http://www.camh.net/Research/Areas_of_research/Population_Life_Course_Studies/CAMH_Monitor/CM2006_TechDoc.pdf (accessed 5 July 2010).,