Environmental factors in drinking venues and alcohol-related harm: the evidence base for European intervention
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors, Addiction © 2011 Society for the Study of Addiction
Special Issue: Introducing the AMPHORA Project: Joining Forces to Support Alcohol Policy
Volume 106, Issue Supplement s1, pages 37–46, March 2011
How to Cite
Hughes, K., Quigg, Z., Eckley, L., Bellis, M., Jones, L., Calafat, A., Kosir, M. and van Hasselt, N. (2011), Environmental factors in drinking venues and alcohol-related harm: the evidence base for European intervention. Addiction, 106: 37–46. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03316.x
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
- Submitted 12 April 2010; final version accepted 14 June 2010
- 1Commission of the European Communities. An EU Strategy to Support Member States in Reducing Alcohol Related Harm. 2006. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/alcohol/documents/alcohol_com_625_eh.pdf Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5v154bEKb_16 (accessed 12 July 2009).
- 3Alcohol and Drug Use Among European 17–18 Year Old Students: Data from the ESPAD Project. Stockholm: The Swedish Council for Information on Alcohol and Other Drugs; 2007., , , , , et al.
- 5Alcohol in Europe: A Public Health Perspective. London: Institute of Alcohol Studies; 2006.,
- 6The 2007 ESPAD Report: Substance Use Among Students in 35 European Countries. Stockholm: The Swedish Council for Information on Alcohol and Other Drugs; 2009., , , , , et al.
- 7JärvinenM., RoomR., editors. Youth Drinking Cultures: European Experiences. Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing Limited; 2007.
- 8A comparative analysis of drinking patterns in 6 EU countries in the year 2000. Contemp Drug Probl 2002; 29: 501–48.
- 11Crime in England and Wales 2007/08: Findings from the British Crime Survey. London: Home Office; 2008., ,
- 16Measuring violence in and around licensed premises: the need for a better evidence base. Crime Prev Comm Saf 2009; 11: 153–70.,
- 17Raising the Bar: Preventing Aggression in and Around Bars, Pubs and Clubs. Cullompton: Willan Publishing; 2008.,
- 18Bad bars: a review of risk factors. J Subst Abuse 2007; 12: 157–89.,
- 20Determinants of heavy drinking and drinking problems: the contribution of the bar environment. In: SingleE., StormT., editors. Public Drinking and Public Policy. Toronto: Addiction Research Foundation; 1985, p. 71–84.
- 21The good, the bad, and the ugly: responses by security staff to aggressive incidents in public drinking settings. J Drug Issues 1998; 28: 817–36., ,
- 27Pubs and violence: violence, public drinking and public policy. Curr Aff Bull 1991; 68: 20–7.,
- 28The causes of public violence: situational ‘versus’ other factors in drinking related assaults. In: ChappellD., GraboskyP., StrangH., editors. Australian Violence: Contemporary Perspectives. Sydney: Australian Institute of Criminology; 1991, p. 176–93., ,
- 29Public drinking and violence: not just an alcohol problem. J Drug Issues 1992; 22: 679–97., ,
- 30Danger on the dancefloor: a study of interior design, crowding and aggression in nightclubs. In: HomelR., editor. Policing for Prevention: Reducing Crime, Public Intoxication and Injury, vol. 7. Monsey: Criminal Justice Press; 1997, p. 91–113.,
- 31Preventing alcohol-related crime through community action: the surfers paradise safety action project. In: HomelR., editor. Policing for Prevention: Reducing Crime, Public Intoxication and Injury. Monsey: Criminal Justice Press; 1997, p. 35–90., , , ,
- 32The Prediction and Prevention of Violence in Pubs and Clubs. Crime Prevention Studies, vol. 3. New York: Criminal Justice Press; 1994.,
- 33Preventing drunkenness and violence around nightclubs in a tourist resort. In: ClarkR. V. G., editor. Situational Crime Prevention: Successful Case Studies. Guilderland: Harrow and Heston; 1997, p. 263–82., , , ,
- 34Reducing violence in licensed venues through community safety action projects: the Queensland experience. Contemp Drug Probl 1998; 25: 511–51., , , ,
- 35Reducing Violence in Licensed Venues: Community Safety Action Projects. Canberra: Australian Institute of Criminology; 1998., , , ,
- 36An Evaluation of the Local Government Safety Action Projects in Cairns, Townsville and Mackay. Brisbane: Griffith University; 1998., , , ,
- 42Reducing Harm in Drinking Environments. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University; 2009., ,
- 43Health and safety problems in recreational nightlife in the island of Mallorca. Int J Drug Policy 2004; 15: 157–62.,
- 45Situational Aspects of Adolescent Drinking Behaviors. Maastricht: Datawyse; 1990.
- 46Contextual influences on young people's drinking rates in public drinking places: an observational study. Addict Res 1993; 1: 269–78., ,
- 50The physical setting: behaviour and policy. In: SingleE., StormT., editors. Public Drinking and Public Policy. Toronto: Addiction Research Foundation; 1984, p. 71–84.
- 67Drinking and Public Disorder. London: Portland Group; 1992.,
- 69Factors Associated with Alcohol-Related Problems within Licensed Premises. Glasgow: Greater Glasgow NHS Board; 2005., ,
- 70Assessing the Relationships Between Late Night Drinks Marketing and Alcohol-Related Disorder in Public Space. Glasgow: Glasgow Caledonian University; 2006.
- 75Play space: historical and socio-cultural reflections on drugs, licensed leisure locations, commercialisation and control. Int J Drug Policy 2004; 15: 337–45.
- 76Institut de Recherché European sur les Facteurs de Risque chez l'Enfant et l'Adolescent (IREFREA). Recreational Culture as a Tool to Prevent Risk Behaviours: Ethnography Reports. Available at: http://www.irefrea.org/Index.asp?idcontenido=3797 Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5v14pqpYL (accessed 24 July 2009).
- 77Blood Alcohol Levels and Drunkenness Amongst People Visiting Nightlife in the North West. Liverpool: Centre for Public Health, Liverpool John Moores University; 2009., , , , ,