Identifying the gap between need and intervention for alcohol use disorders in Europe
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Authors, Addiction © 2011 Society for the Study of Addiction
Special Issue: Introducing the AMPHORA Project: Joining Forces to Support Alcohol Policy
Volume 106, Issue Supplement s1, pages 31–36, March 2011
How to Cite
Drummond, C., Gual, A., Goos, C., Godfrey, C., Deluca, P., Von Der Goltz, C., Gmel, G., Scafato, E., Wolstenholme, A., Mann, K., Coulton, S. and Kaner, E. (2011), Identifying the gap between need and intervention for alcohol use disorders in Europe. Addiction, 106: 31–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03335.x
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2011
- Submitted 22 November 2010; final version accepted 29 November 2010
- 1World Health Organization. Global Health Risks: Mortality and Burden of Disease Related to Selected Major Risks. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009.
- 2Alcohol in Europe: A Public Health Perspective. London: Institute of Alcohol Studies; 2006.,
- 3World Health Organization. The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1992.
- 4Alcohol Use. In: EzzatiM. et al., editors. Comparative Quantification of Health Risks: Global and Regional Burden of Disease Attributable to Selected Major Risk Factors, vol. 1.Geneva: WHO; 2004, p. 959–1108., , , , , et al.
- 6Review of the Effectiveness of Treatment for Alcohol Problems. London: National Treatment Agency; 2006., ,
- 12European Commission (EC). The State of Mental Health in Europe. Brussels: EC; 2004.
- 14What works? A methodological analysis of the alcohol treatment outcome literature. In: HesterR. K., MillerW. R., editors. Handbook of Alcoholism Treatment Approaches: Effective Alternatives, 2nd edn. Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon; 1995, p. 12–44., , , , , et al.
- 15Prevention of Relapse in Alcohol Dependence. Health Technology Assessment Report 3. Glasgow: Health Technology Board for Scotland; 2003., , , , , et al.
- 16National Treatment Agency for Substance Misuse. Models of Care for Alcohol Misusers. London: National Treatment Agency; 2006.
- 18Alcohol Misuse. In: StevensA., RafteryJ., MantJ., SimpsonS., editors. Health Care Needs Assessment: The Epidemiologically Based Needs Assessment Reviews. First Series Update. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press; 2004, p. 305–66.
- 19Alcohol Needs Assessment Research Project (ANARP): The 2004 National Alcohol Needs Assessment for England. London: Department of Health; 2005., , , , , et al.
- 20Scottish Alcohol Needs Assessment. London: Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London; 2009., , , , ,
- 27Hazardous and Harmful Alcohol Consumption PHEPA Project Team. Primary Health Care European Project on Alcohol. Assessment Tool—Report. 2009. Available at: http://www.gencat.cat/salut/phepa/units/phepa/pdf/_assessment_tool.pdf (Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5vu7KWXqP on 21 January 2011).
- 28Implementing screening and brief alcohol interventions in primary care: views from both sides of the consultation. Prim Health Care Res Dev 2006; 7: 1–9., , , , ,
- 29HeatherN., editor. WHO Collaborative Project on Identification and Management of Alcohol-Related Problems in Primary Health Care: Report on Phase IV: Development of Country-Wide Strategies for Implementing Early Identification and Brief Intervention in Primary Health Care. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006.