RESEARCH CENTRES SERIES
Addiction Research Centres and the Nurturing of Creativity
The Alcohol & Drug Abuse Research Unit at the South African Medical Research Council – strengthening substance abuse research and policy in South Africa
Article first published online: 26 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors, Addiction © 2011 Society for the Study of Addiction
Volume 108, Issue 1, pages 14–19, January 2013
How to Cite
Parry, C., Morojele, N., Myers, B. and Plüddemann, A. (2013), Addiction Research Centres and the Nurturing of Creativity. Addiction, 108: 14–19. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03631.x
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 26 OCT 2011
- Submitted 10 June 2011; initial review completed 21 July 2011; final version accepted 18 August 2011
- 1Prediction of binge drinking intentions of female school-leavers in Cape Town, South Africa, using the theory of planned behaviour. J Subst Use 2000; 5: 240–51., , ,
- 2The influence of the media and other factors in drinking among youth. South Afr J Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1994; 6: 39–41., , ,
- 8Alcohol Policy and Public Health in South Africa. Cape Town: Oxford University Press; 1998.,
- 11World Health Organization. Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health. Geneva: Author; 2011.
- 12Risk behaviour and HIV among drug using population in South Africa. Afr J Drug Alcohol Stud 2006; 5: 139–56.,
- 13African Union. Report of the Experts' Meeting of the 4th Session of the AU Conference of Ministers in Charge of Drug Control and Crime Prevention [CAMDCCP/EXP/Report (IV)]. Addis Ababa: Author; 2010.
- 14Alcohol and non-communicable diseases. Globe 2011; 1: 11–4.,
- 152011. Available at: http://mg.co.za/article/2011-04-08-alchohol-levy-is-good-for-sas-health/ (accessed 11 August 2011; archived by Webcite at http://www.webcitation.org/60r2clOaT).Alcohol levy is good for SA's health. Mail & Guardian online .
- 16UNAIDS. Reference Group calls on UN Member States to scale-up evidenced-based interventions to address HIV among people who use drugs . 2011. Available at: http://www.aegis.org/news/unaids/2011/UN110522.html (accessed 11 August 2011; archived by Webcite at http://www.webcitation.org/60r30faBN).
- 17Alcohol and drug abuse trends: January–June 2010 (Phase 28). SACENDU Update 2010; 28: 1–2., , , , ,
- 18Drugs, Sex and Gender-Based Violence: The Intersection of the HIV/AIIDS Epidemic with Vulnerable Women in South Africa. Research Triangle Park: RTI Press; 2010., ,
- 20Is there a causal relationship between alcohol and HIV: implications for policy, practice and future research. Afr J Drug Alcohol Stud 2010; 9: 81–91., ,