Opioid maintenance in European prisons: is the treatment gap closing?
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2012
© 2012 European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)
Volume 107, Issue 3, pages 461–463, March 2012
How to Cite
HEDRICH, D. and FARRELL, M. (2012), Opioid maintenance in European prisons: is the treatment gap closing?. Addiction, 107: 461–463. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03694.x
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2012
- 3Patterns of drug use before, during and after detention: a review of epidemiological literature. In: Vander Laenen F., Vander Beken T., Cools M., Ponsaers P., Pauwels L., Vermeulen G. et al., editors. Contemporary Issues in the Empirical Study of Crime. Governance of Security (GofS) Research Paper Series, vol. 1. Antwerp, Belgium: Maklu Publishers; 2009, p. 227–55.
- 62010. Available at: http://www3.unil.ch/wpmu/space/space-i/annual-reports/ (accessed 8 October 2011). (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/62HlQqPen)., Council of Europe Annual Penal Statistics—SPACE I—Survey 2008. Document: pc-cp\space\documents\pc-cp(2010)07-e. Strasbourg: Council of Europe; 22 March
- 7Methadone at tapered doses for the management of opioid withdrawal. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004; (4) CD003409., , ,
- 8World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for the Psychosocially Assisted Pharmacological Treatment of Opioid-dependence. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2009. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2009/9789241547543_eng.pdf (accessed 8 October 2011) (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/62HkUNi0w).
- 112007., , , , Health in Prisons. A WHO Guide to the Essentials in Prison Health. Copenhagen: World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe;
- 12The health of prisoners. Lancet 2010; 6736: 1–10.,
- 13World Health Organization, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (WHO/UNODC/UNAIDS). Substitution maintenance therapy in the management of opioid dependence and HIV/AIDS prevention: position paper. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004. Available at: http://www.unodc.org/documents/hiv-aids/Position%20Paper%20sub.%20maint.%20therapy.pdf (accessed 8 October 2011) (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/62HlFHeyg).
- 14Department of Health. Updated guidance for prison based opioid maintenance prescribing (no year). Available at: http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/best-practice/standards/treatment (accessed 8 October 2011) (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/62HkbqUmq).
- 18European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA). Annual report 2010, the state of the drugs problem in Europe. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. 2010. Available at: http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/annual-report/2010 (accessed 8 October 2011) (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/62Hl8RDGy).