Affordability of alcohol as a key driver of alcohol demand in New Zealand: a co-integration analysis
Article first published online: 20 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors, Addiction © 2012 Society for the Study of Addiction
Volume 108, Issue 1, pages 72–79, January 2013
How to Cite
Wall, M. and Casswell, S. (2013), Affordability of alcohol as a key driver of alcohol demand in New Zealand: a co-integration analysis. Addiction, 108: 72–79. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.03992.x
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 20 AUG 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 22 JUN 2012 05:45AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2011
- 1World Health Organization (WHO). Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol. Geneva: WHO; 2010.
- 2Alcohol: No Ordinary Commodity—Research and Public Policy, 2nd edn. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2010., , , , , et al.
- 6The Affordability of Alcoholic Beverages in the European Union: Understanding the Link between Alcohol Affordability, Consumption and Harms . Cambridge: Rand Europe; 2009. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5qfCvKZkj on 21 June 2010; Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/alcohol/documents/alcohol_rand_en.pdf (accessed 15 July 2010)., , , ,
- 7Statistics New Zealand. Grapes, Hops and Alcopops. Wellington: Statistics New Zealand; 2008. Archived at: http://www.webcitation.org/65fvkGucH (accessed 24 February 2012).
- 8Redesigning the Welfare State in New Zealand: Problems, Policies, Prospects. Auckland: Oxford University Press; 1999.,
- 9Working Party on Liquor. The Sale of Liquor in New Zealand: Report on the Working Party on Liquor. ‘The Laking Report’. Wellington, NZ: Ministry of Justice; 1986.
- 10New Zealand Government. Sale of Liquor Act 1989 . Wellington, NZ: New Zealand Parliamentary Counsel Office; 1989. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5wvGvZk6k on 4 March 2011.
- 11New Zealand Law Commission. Alcohol in Our Lives: Curbing the Harm: A Report on the Review of the Regulatory Framework for the Sale and Supply of Liquor . Wellington, NZ; 2010. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5q0ECVmre on 26 May 2010.
- 12New Zealand Government. Customs Amendment Act 1989 . Wellington, NZ: New Zealand Parliamentary Counsel Office; 1989. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5wvHF5tL7 on 4 March 2011. Section 3.
- 13The Alcohol Excise . Wellington: The Treasury; 1996. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5wvHM1YmD on 4 March 2011.
- 15The impact of taxation on alcohol consumption. Contract no.: 1. Wellington, NZ: Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand (ALAC); 1982.,
- 19Statistics New Zealand. User Guide for Statistics New Zealand's Wage and Income Measures . Wellington, NZ: Statistics New Zealand; 2008. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5rE2sJ28r on 15 July 2010.
- 21Spurious regressions in econometrics. J Econom 1974; 2 : 111–120.,
- 22Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control, 2nd edn. San Francisco: Holden Day; 1984.,
- 23Time series analysis, cointegration, and applications. In: Frängsmyr T. , editor. Les Prix Nobel: The Nobel Prizes 2003. Stockholm: Nobel Foundation; 2004, p. 360–366.
- 24Applied Econometric Techniques, Hemel Hempstead: Phillip Allan; 1992., ,
- 26SAS Institute, Inc. PROC VARMAX. In: SAS/ETS® 922 User's Guide. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc; 2010, p. 2047–2224.
- 28New Zealand Retailers Association. Alcohol in New Zealand: a report to the NZRA by Nielsen. Wellington, NZ: New Zealand Retailers Association; 2009.
- 30The impact of alcopops on adolescent drinking: a literature review. Alcohol Alcohol 2008; 43 : 230–239.,
- 31Focus—Australian drinks industry braced for tighter alcohol policy. Just-drinks; 2009. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5rE5CF2L8 on 15 July 2010; Available at: http://www.just-drinks.com/analysis/focus-australian-drinks-industry-braced-for-tighter-alcohol-policy_id98231.aspx (accessed 15 July 2010).