Urban ecological footprints in Africa
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Author. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
African Journal of Ecology
Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 463–470, December 2008
How to Cite
Clancy, J. S. (2008), Urban ecological footprints in Africa. African Journal of Ecology, 46: 463–470. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2028.2008.01041.x
- Issue published online: 28 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 28 NOV 2008
- (Manuscript accepted 22 October 2008)
- 1996) Environmental effects of hydro-electric power generation in Africa and the potential for artificial floods. J. Chart. Inst. Water Environ. Manag. 10, 429–435. (
- Anon. (2003) A lead-free Africa is ‘in sight’. Afr. Recovery 17, 28.
- Anon. (2006) Editorial: towards a real-world understanding of less ecologically damaging patterns of urban development. Environ. Urban. 18, 267–273.
- APINA (2003) Air Pollution in Africa. Available at: http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/sei/rapidc2/apina/airpolafr.html#top (accessed on 1 August 2007).
- 2003) Fuelwood Revisited: What Has Changed in the Last Decade? Occasional Paper 39. CIFOR, Jakarta. , , & (
- 1995) Consequences of Energy Policies for the Urban Poor. FPD Energy Note No 7. The World Bank, Washington, DC. (
- 2002) Hydropower potential and development activities. Energy Policy 30, 1231–1239. (
- 2002) Public Health and Household Energy – An Introduction to the Key Issues. Available at: http://sparknet.info/goto.php/view/1/theme.htm (accessed on 12 November 2008). (
- 2000) Indoor air pollution in developing countries: a major environmental and public health challenge. WHO Bull. 2000 78, 1078–1092. , & (
- 1993) Zambian charcoal production: miombo woodland recovery. Energy Policy 21, 586–597. (
- 2006) Enabling Urban Poor Livelihoods Policy Making: Understanding the Role of Energy Services. Department for International Development, London. , , & (
- 1975) The Other Energy Crisis: Firewood. Worldwatch Paper 1. Worldwatch Institute, Washington, DC. (
- FAO (2000) Yearbook of Forest Products Quoted in FAO, 2001, Forestry Outlook Study for Africa: A Regional Overview of Opportunities and Challenges Towards 2020. Draft report prepared by African Forestry and Wildlife Commission and Near East Forestry Commission, November 2001, FAO Forestry Paper 141, FAO, Rome.
- FAO (2006) Global Forest Resources Assessment 2005: Progress towards Sustainable Forest Management. FAO, Rome.
- 1999) Incidence of malaria among children living near dams in northern Ethiopia: community based incidence survey. BMJ 319, 663–666. , , , , , , , & (
- 2002) Charcoal production and use in Africa: what future? Unasylva 53, 30–35. (
- 1991) Women Fuelwood Carriers in Addis Ababa and the Peri-Urban Forest. International Labour Organization, Geneva. Cited in: RAJAN, S.C. & MORRIS, E. (1999) Energy as it Relates to Poverty Alleviation and Environmental Protection. Poverty and Environment Initiative Publication Series. New York: United Nations Development Programme. (
- 1993) Urban household energy use in Tanzania. Energy Policy 21, 454–473. & (
- 2000) The effects of woodfuel consumption in the ASAL areas of Kenya: the case of Marsabit forest. Afr. J. Ecol. 38, 47–52. , & (
- 1988) Beyond the Woodfuel Crisis: People, Land and Trees in Africa. Earthscan Publications Ltd, London. & (
- 1999) Health impacts of large dams. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 19, 113–123. & (
- 2006) Smoke Gets in their Eyes: The Women Fish Smokers of Lagos. ENERGIA News 9.1, 12–13. (
- 2006) Urban agricultural land use and characterization of mosquito larval habitats in a medium-sized town of Côte d’Ivoire. J. Vector Ecol. 31, 319–333. , , , , , , , & (
- 2004) Rural–Urban Change, Boundary Problems and Environmental Burdens. IIED, London. , & (
- 2000) Urban ecology as an interdisciplinary field: differences in the use of “urban” between the social and natural sciences. Urban Ecosyst. 4, 5–24. , & (
- 2000) Ecological footprints and sustainable development. Ecol. Econ. 32, 359–362. (
- 2006) Ecologists can enable communities to implement malaria vector control in Africa. Malar. J. 5, Article number 9. doi: DOI: 10.1186/1475-2875-5-9. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , & (
- 2006) Crisis to Context: The Fuelwood Debate. ODI Forest Policy and Environment Programme, Overseas Development Institute, London. Available at: http://www.odi.org.uk (downloaded 10 February 2008). & (
- 1999) Reinventing Cities for People and the Planet. Worldwatch Institute, Washington, DC. Cited in UN Population Fund (2001), State of the World Population Report (http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2001/). (
- 2000) The ecological footprint: measuring rod or metaphor? Ecol. Econ. 32, 363–365. (
- 2003) Malaria transmission in urban sub-Saharan Africa. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 68, 169–176. , , , , , & (
- 1997) Control of schistosomiasis – a global picture. Parasitol. Today 13, 444–448. , , , & (
- 2005) The human and livelihoods cost of fuel-switching in Addis Ababa. Boiling Point 51, 31–33. & (
- 2002) Water scarcity and urban Africa: an overview of rural–urban water linkages. World Dev. 30, 621–648. (
- 2006) More Urban, Less Poor: An Introduction to Urban Development and Management. Earthscan, London and Sterling, VA. & (
- 2006) Scaling Up Access to Energy Agenda: Decentralized Small Hydropower Schemes in Sub Sahara Africa. African Development Bank FINESSE Newsletter. April 2006. Available at: http://finesse-africa.org/newsletter/200604/hp_africa.php (accessed on 11 February 2008). (
- UN Population Fund (2007) State of the World Population Report. Available at: http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2007/; http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/WUP2005/2005WUP_FS8.pdf (accessed on 4 July 2007).
- UN-DESA (2004) Sustainable Energy Consumption in Africa. UN-DESA, New York.
- UNEP (undated) Municipal Solid Waste Management. Available at: http://www.unep.or.jp/ietc/ESTdir/Pub/MSW/RO/africa/Topic_e.asp (accessed on 1 August 2007).
- United Nations (2006) Fact Sheet 8: Medium Size Cities in World Urbanization Prospects: The 2005 Revision. Population Division, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, United Nations, New York.
- WWF (2002) The Living Planet Report. WWF, Gland. Available at: http://www.panda.org/livingplanet (accessed on 4 July 2007).
- WWF (2006) The Living Planet Report. WWF, Gland. Available at: http://www.panda.org/livingplanet (accessed on 4 July 2007).