Systematic review: secondary prevention with band ligation, pharmacotherapy or combination therapy after bleeding from oesophageal varices
Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 30, Issue 6, pages 577–588, September 2009
How to Cite
CHEUNG, J., ZEMAN, M., Van ZANTEN, S. V. and TANDON, P. (2009), Systematic review: secondary prevention with band ligation, pharmacotherapy or combination therapy after bleeding from oesophageal varices. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30: 577–588. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04075.x
- Issue online: 18 AUG 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
- Publication data Submitted 20 February 2009 First decision 4 April 2009 Resubmitted 12 June 2009 Accepted 18 June 2009 Epub Accepted Article 23 June 2009
- 1The North Italian Endoscopic Club for the Study and Treatment of Esophageal Varices. Prediction of the first variceal hemorrhage in patients with cirrhosis of the liver and esophageal varices. A prospective multicenter study. N Engl J Med 1989; 320: 983–9.
- 8Changing compliance to the American college of gastroenterology guidelines for the management of variceal hemorrhage: a regional survey. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 645–9., , , , .Direct Link:
- 12Comparative study between nadolol and 5-isosorbide mononitrate vs. endoscopic band ligation plus sclerotherapy in the prevention of variceal rebleeding in cirrhotic patients: a randomized controlled trial. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24: 601–11., , , et al.
- 15Prevention and management of gastroesophageal varices and variceal hemorrhage in cirrhosis. AASLD practice guidelines. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 2086–102., , , .Direct Link:
- 19EggerM, SmithGD, AltmanDG, eds. Assessing the quality of randomized controlled trials. Systematic Reviews in Health Care: Meta-Analysis in Context, 2nd edn. London: BMJ Publishing Group, 2001: 87–104.
- 20Band ligation versus beta-blockers as primary prophylaxis in esophageal varices: systematic review of randomized trials. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 2842–8., , , .Direct Link:
- 21Endoscopic ligation compared with combined treatment with nadolol and isosorbide mononitrate to prevent recurrent variceal bleeding. G Ital Endosc Dig 2002; 25: 109–12..
- 27Endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) plus propranolol (P) and isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) versus endoscopic variceal ligation alone in secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: a prospective randomized controlled trial [Abstract]. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101(Suppl 2): S179., , , , .
- 30RCT of variceal ligation (VL) vs propranolol-iso-sorbide (PI) for variceal rebleeding with target pressure reduction: Methodological problems [Abstract]. Gut 1998; 42(Suppl 1): A19., , , , , .
- 31Endoscopic ligation versus nadolol plus isosorbide-5-mononitrate for the prevention of variceal rebleeding. A prospective and randomized trial [Abstract]. Hepatology 1999; 30(Suppl S): 214A., , , et al.
- 32Nadolol plus isosorbide mononitrate compared with banding plus low volume sclerotherapy for prevention of variceal rebleeding in patients with cirrhosis [Abstract]. Hepatology 2004; 40(Suppl 1): 204A., , , et al.
- 34Endoscopic ligation compared with propranolol and combined isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) and propranolol to prevent recurrent variceal bleeding: A prospective randomized trial [Abstract]. Gut 2005; 54(Suppl 2): A6., , , , , .
- 37Endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) plus propranolol (P) and isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) versus EVL alone in secondary prophylaxis of variceal bleeding: a prospective RCT [Abstract]. Hepatology 2007; 46(Suppl S): 250A–1A., , , .
- 38Propranolol prevents rebleeding after variceal ligation [Abstract]. Gastrointest Endosc 2001; 53(Suppl S): AB143., , , , .
- 40A randomized, controlled trial of banding ligation plus drug therapy vs drug therapy alone in the prevention of esophageal variceal rebleeding [Abstract]. Gut 2005; 54(Suppl 7): A78., , .