Recent incidence trends and sociodemographic features of oesophageal and gastric cancer types in an English region
Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 30, Issue 8, pages 873–880, October 2009
How to Cite
GAJPERIA, C., BARBIERE, J. M., GREENBERG, D., WRIGHT, K. and LYRATZOPOULOS, G. (2009), Recent incidence trends and sociodemographic features of oesophageal and gastric cancer types in an English region. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30: 873–880. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04100.x
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 18 JUL 2009
- Publication data Submitted 23 June 2009 First decision 8 July 2009 Resubmitted 15 July 2009 Accepted 16 July 2009 Epub Accepted Article 18 July 2009
- 1Incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus among white Americans by sex, stage, and age. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008; 100: 1184–7., , .
- 2Report: Cancer incidence and mortality in the United Kingdom and constituent countries, 2003–05. Office for National Statistics. Health Stat Q 2008; 40: 91–7. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_health/HSQ40CancerUK2003-05.pdf (accessed July 2009)..
- 3National Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Audit. An audit of the care received by people with Oesophago-Gastric Cancer in England and Wales. First Annual Report 2008. The Information Centre. NHS. http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/Services/NCASP/Cancer/New%20web%20documents%20(OG)/28010208-NHSIC-OGAuditReport-FV-HR.pdf (accessed July 2009).
- 4Survival from cancer of the stomach in England and Wales up to 2001. Br J Cancer 2008; 99(Suppl. 1): S16–8., , , , .
- 5Survival from cancer of the oesophagus in England and Wales up to 2001. Br J Cancer 2008; 99(Suppl 1): S11–3., , , , .
- 6Trends in the subsite and morphology of oesophageal and gastric cancer in England and Wales 1971-1998. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003; 17: 665–76., , , , .
- 7Trends in incidence of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and gastric cardia in ten European countries. Int J Epidemiol 2000; 29: 645–54., , , , .
- 8Continuing Rapid Increase in Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in England and Wales. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103: 2694–9., , , , .
- 9Changing patterns in the incidence of esophageal and gastric carcinoma in the United States. Cancer 1998; 83: 2049–53., , .
- 10The rising trend in oesophageal adenocarcinoma and gastric cardia. Eur J Cancer Prev 1992; 1: 265–9., .
- 11Socioeconomic status and risk of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and cancer of the gastric cardia in Scotland. Br J Cancer 2000; 83: 387–90., , , .
- 12National Cancer Intelligence Network. Cancer Incidence and Survival By Major Ethnic Group, England, 2002–2006. http://www.ncin.org.uk/docs/090625-NCIN-Incidence_and_Survival_by_Ethnic_Group-Report.pdf (accessed July 2009).
- 13Food group intake and risk of subtypes of esophageal and gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2008; 123: 852–60., , , et al.
- 14Population attributable risks of esophageal and gastric cancers. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 1404–13., , , et al.
- 15Obesity, alcohol, and tobacco as risk factors for cancers of the esophagus and gastric cardia: adenocarcinoma versus squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1995; 4: 85–92., , , .
- 16Helicobacter and Cancer Collaborative Group. Gastric cancer and Helicobacter pylori: a combined analysis of 12 case control studies nested within prospective cohorts. Gut 2001; 49: 347–53.
- 17Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux as a risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999; 340: 825–31., , , .
- 18Association between body mass and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia. Ann Intern Med 1999; 130: 883–90., , .
- 19A case-control study of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in women: a preventable disease. Br J Cancer 2000; 83: 127–32., , , et al.
- 20Differences and similarities of adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and esophagogastric junction. J Surg Oncol 2005; 92: 160–8., , , .
- 21Adenocarcinomas of the distal oesophagus and gastric cardia are one clinical entity. Rotterdam Oesophageal Tumour Study Group. Br J Surg 1999; 86: 529–35., , , , .
- 22Combination of gastric atrophy, reflux symptoms and histological subtype indicates two distinct aetiologies of gastric cardia cancer. Gut 2008; 57: 298–305., , , et al.
- 23New classification of oesophageal and gastric carcinomas derived from changing patterns in epidemiology. Br J Cancer 1999; 80: 834–42., , , , , .
- 24Epidemiological differences between adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and adenocarcinoma of the gastric cardia in the USA. Gut 2002; 50: 368–72., , , .
- 25Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus: role of obesity and diet. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87: 104–9., , , et al.
- 26Body mass, tobacco and alcohol and risk of esophageal, gastric cardia, and gastric non-cardia adenocarcinoma among men and women in a nested case-control study. Cancer Causes Control 2005; 16: 285–94., , .
- 27Eastern Cancer Registration and Information Centre (ECRIC) Annual Report 2007-8 (2008) http://www.ecric.org.uk/docs/AnnualReport0708.pdf (accessed July 2009).
- 28Trends in the incidence of adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus and cardia in the Netherlands 1989-2003. Br J Cancer 2007; 96: 1767–71., , , , .
- 29Oesophageal and gastric cardia adenocarcinomas: analysis of regional variation using the Cancer Incidence in Five Continents database. Int J Epidemiol 2001; 30: 1415–25., .
- 30Communities and Local Government. Indices of Multiple Deprivation 2004. http://www.communities.gov.uk/archived/general-content/communities/indicesofdeprivation/216309/ (accessed July 2009).
- 31Choice of geographic unit influences socioeconomic inequalities in breast cancer survival. Br J Cancer 2005; 92: 1279–82., , .
- 32Continuing rising trend in oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer 2002; 102: 422–7., , , .
- 33Office for National Statistics. Resident population: by ethnic group, 2001: Regional Trends 38. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7666&Pos=&ColRank=1&Rank=272 (accessed July 2009).
- 34Office for National Statistics. Past Estimates – Population Estimates by Ethnic Group Mid-2001–2006 (experimental). File name. ‘Tables EE1 to EE4–2001. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/statbase/Product.asp?vlnk=14238 (accessed July 2009).