Clinical trial: ulcerative colitis maintenance treatment with 5-ASA: a 1-year, randomized multicentre study comparing MMX® with Asacol®
Article first published online: 12 AUG 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 30, Issue 9, pages 908–918, November 2009
How to Cite
PRANTERA, C., KOHN, A., CAMPIERI, M., CAPRILLI, R., COTTONE, M., PALLONE, F., SAVARINO, V., STURNIOLO, G. C., VECCHI, M., ARDIA, A. and BELLINVIA, S. (2009), Clinical trial: ulcerative colitis maintenance treatment with 5-ASA: a 1-year, randomized multicentre study comparing MMX® with Asacol®. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30: 908–918. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04117.x
- Issue published online: 6 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 12 AUG 2009
- Publication data Submitted 21 May 2009 First decision 31 May 2009 Resubmitted 7 August 2009 Accepted 10 August 2009 Epub Accepted Article 12 August 2009
- 1Ulcerative Colitis Practice Guidelines in Adults (Update): American College of Gastroenterology, Practice Parameters Committee. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 1371–85., .
- 2European evidence-based Consensus on the management of ulcerative colitis: Current management. Journal of Crohn’s and Colitis 2008; 2: 24–62., , , et al.
- 3Mesalamine delivery systems: do they really make much difference? Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2005; 57: 281–302., .
- 4Metabolism and urinary excretion of 5-amino salicylic acid in healthy volunteers when given intravenously or released for absorption at different sites in the gastrointestinal tract. Gut 1987; 28: 196–200., , , et al.
- 5Review article: evolutionary advances in the delivery of aminosalicylates for the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 24: 465–74..
- 6A pilot feasibility study of once daily versus conventional dosing mesalamine for maintenance of ulcerative colitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2003; 1: 170–3., , .
- 7Prevalence of nonadherence with maintenance mesalamine in quiescent ulcerative colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2001; 96: 2929–33., , , et al.
- 8Studies of compliance with delayed-release mesalazine therapy in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2003; 18: 191–8., .
- 9Compliance to therapy in patients on a maintenance dose of sulfasalazine. J Clin Gastroenterol 1982; 4: 333–6., .
- 10Medication nonadherence and the outcomes of patients with quiescent ulcerative colitis. Am J Med 2003; 114: 39–43., , , et al.
- 11A new oral delivery system for 5-ASA: preliminary clinical findings for MMx. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2005; 11: 421–7., , , et al.
- 12Release of 5-aminosalicylate from the MMXTM mesalamine tablet during transit through a simulated gastrointestinal tract system. Adv Ther 2007; 24: 826–40., , , et al.
- 13Once-daily high concentration MMX mesalamine in active ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: 66–75., , , et al.
- 14Effect of once- or twice-daily MMX mesalamine (SPD476) for the induction of remission of mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 5: 95–102., , , et al.
- 15Randomized trial of once- or twice-daily MMX™ mesalamine for maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis. Gut 2008; 57: 893–902., , , et al.
- 16Is maintenance therapy always necessary for patients with ulcerative colitis in remission? Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1999; 13: 373–9., , , et al.
- 17Comparison of two different daily dosages (2.4 vs. 1.2 g) of oral mesalazine in maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis patients: 1-year follow-up study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2005; 21: 1111–9., , , et al.
- 18Oral and topical 5-aminosalicylic acid (mesalazine) in inducing and maintaining remission in mild-moderate relapse of ulcerative colitis: one-year randomised multicentre trial. Dig Liver Dis 2002; 34: 787–93., , , et al.
- 19Living with ulcerative colitis: differing perceptions of patients and gastroenterologists. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2008; 14: S22., , , et al.
- 20Psychosocial correlates of patient-physician discordance in inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97: 2174–83., , , et al.
- 21Measuring differences between patients’ and physicians’ health perceptions: the patient-physician discordance scale. J Behav Med 2003; 26: 245–64., , , et al.
- 22An oral preparation of mesalamine as long-term maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1996; 124: 204–11., , , et al.
- 23Systematic review: adherence issues in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2006; 23: 577–85..
- 24Health-related quality of life in patients with inflammatory bowel disease five years after the initial diagnosis. Scand J Gastroenterol 2004; 39: 365–73., , , et al.
- 25Impairment of health-related quality of life in patients with inflammatory bowel disease: a Spanish multicenter study. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2005; 11: 488–96., , , et al.
- 26Predictors of quality of life in ulcerative colitis: the importance of symptoms and illness representations. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2005; 11: 24–34., , , et al.
- 27Determinants of life satisfaction in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2005; 11: 272–86., , , et al.
- 28Gender and disease activity influence health-related quality of life in inflammatory bowel diseases. Hepatogastroenterology 2005; 52: 509–15., , , et al.
- 29A practical perspective on ulcerative colitis: patients’ needs from aminosalicylate therapies. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2006; 12: 1107–13..
- 30Importance of medication adherence in cardiovascular disease and the value of once-daily treatment regimens. Cardiol Rev 2007; 15: 257–63..
- 31Medication adherence and persistence as the cornerstone of effective antihypertensive therapy. Am J Hypertens 2006; 19: 1190–6..