Rotterdam score predicts early mortality in Budd-Chiari syndrome, and surgical shunting prolongs transplant-free survival
Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 30, Issue 10, pages 1060–1069, November 2009
How to Cite
MONTANO-LOZA, A. J., TANDON, P., KNETEMAN, N., BAILEY, R. and BAIN, V. G. (2009), Rotterdam score predicts early mortality in Budd-Chiari syndrome, and surgical shunting prolongs transplant-free survival. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30: 1060–1069. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04134.x
- Issue online: 20 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 SEP 2009
- Publication data Submitted 15 July 2009 First decision 26 July 2009 Resubmitted 17 August 2009 Accepted 26 August 2009 Epub Accepted Article 26 August 2009
- 1The Budd-Chiari syndrome. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 578–85., , .
- 2Primary Budd-Chiari syndrome. J Hepatol 2009; 50: 195–203..
- 3Cause of portal or hepatic venous thrombosis in adults: the role of multiple concurrent factors. Hepatology 2000; 31: 587–91., , , et al.
- 4Determinants of survival and the effect of portosystemic shunting in patients with Budd-Chiari syndrome. Hepatology 2004; 39: 500–8., , , et al.
- 5Budd-Chiari syndrome in Sweden: epidemiology, clinical characteristics and survival – an 18-year experience. Liver Int 2009; 29: 253–9., , , et al.
- 6A comparison of disease severity and survival rates after liver transplantation in the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States. Liver Transpl 2004; 10: 898–902., , .
- 7The Budd-Chiari syndrome: outcome after treatment with the transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Surgery 2004; 135: 394–403., , , et al.
- 8Transection of the oesophagus for bleeding oesophageal varices. Br J Surg 1973; 60: 646–9., , , et al.
- 9The model for end-stage liver disease (MELD). Hepatology 2007; 45: 797–805., .
- 10Clinicopathological forms and prognostic index in Budd-Chiari syndrome. J Hepatol 2003; 39: 496–501., , , et al.
- 11Budd-Chiari syndrome: a review by an expert panel. J Hepatol 2003; 38: 364–71., , , et al.
- 12Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observation. J Am Stat Assoc 1958; 53: 457–81., .
- 13Conservatism of the approximation (0-E)/E in the log rank test for survival data on tumor incidence data. Biometrics 1973; 29: 579–84., .
- 14Logistic regression analysis. Singapore Med J 2004; 45: 149–53..
- 15The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve. Radiology 1982; 143: 29–36., .
- 16The Budd-Chiari syndrome: correlation between hepatic scintigraphy and the clinical, radiological, and pathological findings in nineteen cases of hepatic venous outflow obstruction. Gastroenterology 1975; 68: 509–18., , , et al.
- 17Prognostic indices for Budd-Chiari syndrome: valid for clinical studies but insufficient for individual management. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104: 1140–6., , , et al.
- 18Can the model for end-stage liver disease be used to predict the prognosis in patients with Budd-Chiari syndrome? Liver Transpl 2007; 13: 867–74., , , et al.
- 19A 27-year experience with surgical treatment of Budd-Chiari syndrome. Ann Surg 2000; 232: 340–52., , , et al.
- 20Portosystemic shunt in Budd Chiari syndrome: long-term survival and factors affecting shunt patency in 25 patients in Western countries. Surgery 1994; 115: 276–81., , , et al.
- 21Long-term results of treatment of Budd-Chiari syndrome with portal decompression. Arch Surg 1992; 127: 1182–7., , .
- 22Which is the best surgery for Budd-Chiari syndrome: venous decompression or liver transplantation? A single-center experience with 50 patients Hepatology 1995; 21: 1337–44., , , et al.
- 23Hepatic transplantation with perioperative and long term anticoagulation as treatment for Budd-Chiari syndrome. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1988; 166: 511–8., , , et al.
- 24Liver transplantation for Budd-Chiari syndrome: a European study on 248 patients from 51 centres. J Hepatol 2006; 44: 520–8., , , et al.
- 25Twenty years of liver transplantation for Budd-Chiari syndrome: a national registry analysis. Liver Transpl 2007; 13: 1285–94., , , et al.
- 26Eighteen years of liver transplantation experience in patients with advanced Budd-Chiari syndrome. Liver Transpl 2008; 14: 144–50., , , et al.
- 27Budd-Chiari syndrome. Semin Liver Dis 2008; 28: 259–69., .
- 28Long-term portosystemic shunt patency as a determinant of outcome in Budd-Chiari syndrome. J Hepatol 2007; 46: 60–8., , , et al.
- 29Budd-Chiari Syndrome-Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt Group TIPS for Budd-Chiari syndrome: long-term results and prognostics factors in 124 patients. Gastroenterology 2008; 135: 808–15., , , et al.
- 30Etiology, management, and outcome of the Budd-Chiari syndrome. Ann Intern Med 2009; 151: 167–75., , , et al.