Disclaimer: The opinions and assertions contained herein are the sole views of the authors and are not to be construed as official or as reflecting the views of the Department of Veteran Affairs.
Measuring irritable bowel syndrome patient-reported outcomes with an abdominal pain numeric rating scale
Article first published online: 12 SEP 2009
© 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Volume 30, Issue 11-12, pages 1159–1170, December 2009
How to Cite
SPIEGEL, B., BOLUS, R., HARRIS, L. A., LUCAK, S., NALIBOFF, B., ESRAILIAN, E., CHEY, W. D., LEMBO, A., KARSAN, H., TILLISCH, K., TALLEY, J., MAYER, E. and CHANG, L. (2009), Measuring irritable bowel syndrome patient-reported outcomes with an abdominal pain numeric rating scale. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 30: 1159–1170. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04144.x
- Issue published online: 2 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 12 SEP 2009
- Publication data Submitted 28 July 2009 First decision 16 August 2009 Resubmitted 9 September 2009 Accepted 10 September 2009 Epub Accepted Article 12 September 2009
- 1Functional bowel disorders. Gastroenterology 2006; 130: 1480–91., , , , , .
- 2Existence of irritable bowel syndrome supported by factor analysis of symptoms in two community samples. Gastroenterology 1990; 98: 336–40., , , et al.
- 3Irritable bowel syndrome defined by factor analysis Gender and race comparisons. Dig Dis Sci 1995; 40: 2647–55., , , , .
- 4Predictors of patient-assessed illness severity in irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 2008; 103(10): 2536–43., , , , .
- 5Clinical determinants of health-related quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 1773–80., , , et al.
- 6Irritable bowel syndrome: toward an understanding of severity. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 3: 717–25., , .
- 7Primary endpoints for irritable bowel syndrome trials: a review of performance of endpoints. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 5: 534–40., , , , , .
- 8Clinical importance of changes in chronic pain intensity measured on an 11-point numerical pain rating scale. Pain 2001; 94: 149–58., , , , .
- 9Developing valid and reliable health utilities in irritable bowel syndrome: results from the IBS PROOF cohort. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104: 1984–91., , , et al.
- 10Core outcome measures for chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations. Pain 2005; 113: 9–19., , , et al.
- 11The irritable bowel severity scoring system: a simple method of monitoring irritable bowel syndrome and its progress. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 1997; 11: 395–402., , .
- 12Functional bowel disorders a multicenter comparison of health status and development of illness severity index. Dig Dis Sci 1995; 40: 986–95., , , et al.
- 13Development and initial validation of a concise point-of-care IBS severity index: the 4-item “BEST” questionnaire. Gastroenterology 2006; 130: S1040., , , , .
- 14Quality of life in persons with irritable bowel syndrome: development and validation of a new measure. Dig Dis Sci 1998; 43: 400–11., , , , .
- 15Measuring health-related quality of life in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: can less be more? Psychosom Med 2006; 68: 312–20., , , et al.
- 16The validity and accuracy of the Work Productivity and Activity Impairment questionnaire – irritable bowel syndrome version (WPAI:IBS). Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 20: 459–67., , , , .
- 17The Visceral Sensitivity Index: development and validation of a gastrointestinal symptom-specific anxiety scale. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2004; 20: 89–97., , , et al.
- 18The central role of gastrointestinal-specific anxiety in irritable bowel syndrome: further validation of the visceral sensitivity index. Psychosom Med 2007; 69: 89–98., , , , .
- 19Systematic review of the comorbidity of irritable bowel syndrome with other disorders: what are the causes and implications? Gastroenterology 2002; 122: 1140–56., , .
- 20The use of patient-reported outcome measures in the evaluation of medical products for regulatory approval. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008; 84: 281–3., , , , .
- 21Methods to explain the clinical significance of health status measures. Mayo Clin Proc 2002; 77: 371–83., , , , .
- 22Characterization of health related quality of life (HRQOL) for patients with functional bowel disorder (FBD) and its response to treatment. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102: 1442–53., , , et al.
- 23Reports of “satisfactory relief” by IBS patients receiving usual medical care are confounded by baseline symptom severity and do not accurately reflect symptom improvement. Am J Gastroenterol 2006; 101: 1057–65., , , , , .
- 24Global measure of adequate relief predicts clinically important difference in pain and is independent of baseline pain severity in IBS. Gastroenterology 2007; 132: A140., , , , .
- 25Clinical trial: dextofisopam in the treatment of patients with diarrhoea-predominant or alternating irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2008; 27: 197–206., , , et al.
- 26Validity, reliability, and clinical importance of change in a 0-10 numeric rating scale measure of spasticity: a post hoc analysis of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Clin Ther 2008; 30: 974–85., , , , .
- 27A diagnostic score for the irritable bowel syndrome its value in the exclusion of organic disease. Gastroenterology 1984; 87: 1–7., , , , , .
- 28Towards positive diagnosis of the irritable bowel. Br Med J 1978; 2: 653–4., , , .
- 29The functional gastrointestinal disorders, pathophysiology, and treatment: a multinational consensus. Little Brown, 1994., , .
- 30Predictors of work productivity in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): results from the PROOF cohort. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: AB157., , , et al.
- 31Irritable bowel syndrome: more than abdominal pain and bowel habit abnormalities. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 7: 73–9., , , , , .
- 32Self-administered cognitive behavior therapy for moderate to severe irritable bowel syndrome: clinical efficacy, tolerability, feasibility. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008; 6: 899–906., , , , , .
- 33Impact of baseline severity on the performance of IBS clinical trial endpoints: results of the Rome Endpoints Working Group Meta-Analysis. Gastroenterology 2009. DDW Abstract; in press., , .
- 34Design of treatment trials for functional gastrointestinal disorders. In: DrossmanD, ed. Rome III: The Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, Third Edition. Lawrence, KS: Allen Press, 2006: 779–834., , , et al.
- 35Measuring IBS patient reported outcomes with a Single Item Numeric Rating Scale: results from the PROOF cohort. Gastroenterology 2008; 134: AB1026., , , et al.
- 36EuroQOL Group. EuroQol-a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life The EuroQol Group. Health Policy 1990; 16: 199–208.
- 37The impact of somatization on the use of gastrointestinal health-care resources in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol 2005; 100: 2262–73., , , .